6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   BMW //M (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bmw-m-38/)
-   -   Sad sad day....E60 M5 production comes to an end (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bmw-m/216437-sad-sad-day-e60-m5-production-comes-end.html)

TXLonghorn911 07-07-2010 08:30 PM

Sad sad day....E60 M5 production comes to an end

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/07/b...end/#continued

bonehead 07-07-2010 08:33 PM

:(Seems like only yesterday when I pulled out of the dealer lot with my shiny new E60 and a s*&t eating grin on my face:) Loved that car.

TXLonghorn911 07-07-2010 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by bonehead (Post 2901206)
:(Seems like only yesterday when I pulled out of the dealer lot with my shiny new E60 and a s*&t eating grin on my face:) Loved that car.

I've watched, and perhaps more importantly, listened to these fine machines from afar for several years. Even though production is ending, I am thinking about picking one up here as there will hopefully be some deals on some of the lower-mileage examples out there...

There are some very interesting ones on the for-sale board. I really don't NEED another ride, but when has it been about need??

bonehead 07-07-2010 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by TXLonghorn911 (Post 2901213)
I've watched, and perhaps more importantly, listened to these fine machines from afar for several years. Even though production is ending, I am thinking about picking one up here as there will hopefully be some deals on some of the lower-mileage examples out there...

There are some very interesting ones on the for-sale board. I really don't NEED another ride, but when has it been about need??

It's a great time to buy. Esp with the F10 sort of around the corner. Really horrible (for sellers) how badly depreciation has hit these fantastic vehicles. An all around great performer aside from the fuel efficiency problem. If you DD it more than 10-15 miles each way per day, it becomes very annoying. 18.5 gallon tank will maybe last you 200 miles (if you're light with the right foot).

TXLonghorn911 07-07-2010 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by bonehead (Post 2901279)
It's a great time to buy. Esp with the F10 sort of around the corner. Really horrible (for sellers) how badly depreciation has hit these fantastic vehicles. An all around great performer aside from the fuel efficiency problem. If you DD it more than 10-15 miles each way per day, it becomes very annoying. 18.5 gallon tank will maybe last you 200 miles (if you're light with the right foot).

My thoughts exactly. I have a 5 mile commute to work (10 miles if I take the long way home).

With gas as cheap as it is here in Texas, this might be a pretty ideal DD.

I'm keeping my eye out for a nice CPO one. Did you have any costly issues with the car that would make holding out for a CPO example of this car worth it?

bonehead 07-07-2010 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by TXLonghorn911 (Post 2901286)
My thoughts exactly. I have a 5 mile commute to work (10 miles if I take the long way home).

With gas as cheap as it is here in Texas, this might be a pretty ideal DD.

I'm keeping my eye out for a nice CPO one. Did you have any costly issues with the car that would make holding out for a CPO example of this car worth it?

NEVER, EVER, EVER.....EVER own one of these out of warranty, particularly the SMG variants. SMG pumps were a known problem, esp of the earlier production models (I had a relatively early 2006 without any issues, but I only had it for about 30K miles). If it goes out on you, that's a very costly fix. How frequent they truly were is somewhat unknown as forums always highlight the problems no matter how common.

Exactly how 'cheap' is gas in TX? AZ is pretty good, but still pricey (and we only get the crap 91:mad:)

TXLonghorn911 07-07-2010 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by bonehead (Post 2901293)
Exactly how 'cheap' is gas in TX? AZ is pretty good, but still pricey (and we only get the crap 91:mad:)

I think I filled up 93 octane @ $2.65/gal @ a Chevron on my way home from work today.

As a reference, I just moved back from London a while back so everything seems cheap to me :). I think we do have it pretty good here in TX in terms of gas prices.

bonehead 07-07-2010 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by TXLonghorn911 (Post 2901299)
I think I filled up 93 octane @ $2.65/gal @ a Chevron on my way home from work today.

As a reference, I just moved back from London a while back so everything seems cheap to me :). I think we do have it pretty good here in TX in terms of gas prices.

:mad: I thought we had it good here. 91 Shell is a touch over $3. QT just shy of $3/gal. Nothing compared to the prices in CA....but at least they don't have to deal with 118 deg summers:rolleyes:

TXLonghorn911 07-07-2010 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by bonehead (Post 2901303)
:mad: I thought we had it good here. 91 Shell is a touch over $3. QT just shy of $3/gal. Nothing compared to the prices in CA....but at least they don't have to deal with 118 deg summers:rolleyes:

Add the fact that SoCal did just have an earthquake earlier tonight and I think we have it pretty good. Although, here in Houston with the humidity, the heat index certainly gets pretty high and we're smack dab in the middle of hurricane/tropical storm season here.

Hoping I can find a good deal on a certified M5 here in TX, drive it for a few years under warranty and then part with it in time to take a bit of a depreciation hit but nothing major on the maintenance front. Going to be a bit patient as it seems like there were a lot of M5's on the market around here 2 months ago but the supply has thinned out a bit lately.

Really liking the look of the new 550i w/ sport package but think the V10 engine is something special and worth owning at some point b/c we likely won't see a similar mass production engine due to all of the environmental concerns and the automaker push towards forced induction...I've also heard that the m5 paired with the Eisenmann Race exhaust is one of the best sounding engine/exhaust combinations out there. I haven't had a chance to hear one in person, but if it is even half as good as the hype, it could be love a first sound...

bonehead 07-07-2010 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by TXLonghorn911 (Post 2901310)
I've also heard that the m5 paired with the Eisenmann Race exhaust is one of the best sounding engine/exhaust combinations out there. I haven't had a chance to hear one in person, but if it is even half as good as the hype, it could be love a first sound...

Any other system is a waste, IMO. Wish we could make the TT's sound similar.

:)
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...34/YKiSLNl86qg

L8Apex 07-07-2010 11:11 PM

I kind a liked my RD Sport Comp exhaust..not as obnoxious as the Eisenmann Race but sounded great when uncorked.

Quick Flyby (turn up the volume!!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpDZyZksbjY

germeezy1 07-08-2010 12:21 AM

It's a sad day indeed, but a happy day for those that hope to pick up one used. I never thought I would see the day where E55's are 30k...and M5's can be picked up for around $40k! One S85 or SMG failure will make all but the truly rich butt pucker so a warranty is a must!

ice350 07-08-2010 04:40 PM

I really liked the E60, it is different but still maintained the BMWish ride and persona. The Bangle design rubbed many the wrong way but I was happy to see something different.
The new 5 Series looks alright but too sedate, too big and too much like the 7 Series....from which it is derived.
I have read 2 write-ups in the mags how it has lost the BMW steering feel. Sometimes those journalists exaggerate but I'll check it out for myself. If it has lost a lot of it steering feel, we now have a bloated, heavier and poorer handling 5 to replace the Bangle 5. Now let's see if the purists complain.

nikeking 07-08-2010 06:53 PM

NOOOOOO I just say the new one and it's UGLY

DarrinB 07-08-2010 07:15 PM

I may bias but I think even though its at the end of its production I still think its the best sedan ever built.