6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   BMW //M (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bmw-m-38/)
-   -   JDM M5---Purists beware!!!!!!!!! (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bmw-m/226114-jdm-m5-purists-beware.html)

930chas 10-14-2010 08:07 AM

2jz M5 Build---Purists beware!

5 Attachment(s)
I had a revelation one night....must own another e39 m5!! The problem was owning a 700whp m3 had completely distorted my sense of speed and power. I knew a stock, or Dinan S2, or even ESS SC upgraded M5 just wouldn’t cut it. So, I started looking at other options, also being well aware that I didn’t have the technical expertise or time to handle any swap myself. (So, yes, I am offending purists and DIYers…sorry) Anyhow, an Ls7 would have been awesome, but substantial cost in the motor/trans and the swap plus more cost in increasing the power output ruled that out. Then I happened upon the 2jz M5 video swap on youtube. For those that aren’t familiar with it, a shop in NJ, E-Shift Performance took a 2001 e39 M5, pulled out its perfectly fine s62 and 6speed transmission and swapped in a 2jz motor with the v160 6 speed transmission. Not only that, they converted it from twin turbo to single turbo and were able to coax 540whp out if it on pump fuel. (Here is Ed's original thread regarding this car..Supra 2JZ-GTE powered M5) This was perfect. I began conversations with Mike at E-shift, and also started researching supra and 2jz information in order to become more knowledgeable. I told Mike what my goals were, and we formulated a build plan. Mike is a really cool guy and was more then willing to answer my 1000+ questions, plus he guaranteed that E-shift would warranty their work and products. That was definitely reassuring soooooo after much thought, I decided to go for it. First I had to find a car. Luckily a friend pointed me in the direction of a friend of his who was selling a minty Dinan S2. (Attached are a few pictures of the car) As much as it pained me to think of parting out the Dinan components, the price of the car was right and the money made back from the Dinan parts would go back into the cost of the swap. Next, I had to firm up the plan with Mike and then send the car his way.

Fast forward a few weeks, and the car is now at E-shifts facilities and the perfectly fine s62 and transmission have been pulled out. The “new” motor will be a freshened ~40k mile 2jz with stock bottom end. This motor will be sporting BC cams, a single p6765 billet turbo, a substantial fuel system, AEM v2 stand alone management plus other goodies. It will be tuned by Justin Nenni from Tuning Concepts in the hopes of making ~750whp on e85. It will be running a v160 6 speed transmission with HPF Feramic clutch. The subframe will be reinforced and a stronger rear differential will be installed. E-shift will be doing a ton of custom work on this project including the manifold, downpipe, exhaust, intercooler, AC lines, and drivesahft.

Currently the project is somewhat at a standstill as we wait for the 2jz/v160 to arrive. Its arrival is expected sometime next week. In the meantime, I have sourced a set of 19" BBS LMs...don't know if I am more excited about the car or the wheels!! I will update this thread as I receive more pictures or information.

Edit: Attached a few more pictures. I love the one of the 2jz in the M3 engine bay with the Roundel on the hood.

IN Is-F 10-14-2010 09:51 AM

I am all for it! I want to see the updates as they come. People are putting LS1's into RX7s and 240sx's so why not throw the 2JZ into a BMW. This thread shows a LS2 into a 540.

http://www.ls2bmw.com/home.htm

unvmy996 10-14-2010 10:06 AM

nice , looking forward to updates

BAD ASS TA WS6 10-14-2010 11:02 AM

Nice swap. More potential for sure.

Justin is THE MAN.

Fastforwardwheels 10-14-2010 11:03 AM

keep us posted... 2jz is a killer engine!

930chas 10-15-2010 05:09 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks much for the comments!

Also, here is an incredible e39 touring that E-shift just finished. Makes me want to start shopping for one. :D

RyanS 10-16-2010 02:14 AM

Charlie it had been awhile man!! I can't wait to see this brother. I'll shoot ya text this week I need to know more haha

TT.BRN 10-16-2010 08:50 AM

Looks cool

AirFrcd 10-17-2010 08:14 PM

Sinfully Delicious Cberg ;)
Shove that JDM Turbo in the M5 - can't wait!!!!

Fantasma 10-17-2010 09:49 PM

Aren't you worried about the lag with that big of a turbo?

adamls2 10-18-2010 02:24 PM

cant beat 2jz power :)

rossii 10-18-2010 02:51 PM

Just curious what does a swap like this costs?

1JDM911 10-18-2010 03:08 PM

love your game plan with this, but I was expecting a Jspec-motor with real JDM parts on the car rather than Japanese-branded US-spec motor rocking US-branded ???-made parts. heh heh heh :p

RFFG 10-18-2010 05:09 PM

nice!!!

TMAC 10-19-2010 01:06 PM

Awesome idea! I love the 2JZ motor