6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   BMW //M (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bmw-m-38/)
-   -   When it's not a Manual (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bmw-m/419392-when-its-not-manual.html)

AMNY 04-10-2018 08:03 AM

When it's not a Manual

Hi

is this a case of deliberate sellers/dealers trying to be clever and net a wider audience, or is it just a mistake in posting when you see over and over again cars advertised as a 6 Speed Manual and then realize they're actually automatics ?

I am a manual transmission stalwart and I can't stand how the industry has changed.

vegaman 05-01-2018 02:24 PM

It isn't just you. I'm seeing it too. Really annoying

jaspergtr 05-02-2018 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by AMNY (Post 4708417)
Hi

is this a case of deliberate sellers/dealers trying to be clever and net a wider audience, or is it just a mistake in posting when you see over and over again cars advertised as a 6 Speed Manual and then realize they're actually automatics ?

I am a manual transmission stalwart and I can't stand how the industry has changed.

But there is/was a difference between an auto, and an automated dual-clutch / twin-clutch / PDK, etc... An automatic transmission has many different physical features that are not closely related to a manual. For example, there appears to be no equivalent of a continuously variable transmission and a clutch-driven transmission (regardless of single or dual).

The manual part is that you manually select a gear (not an automatic with different construction that "suggests" a gear), as opposed to a manual clutch (which that term is isn't what it used to be either). A true manual allows the driver to select the gear driven. In that regard, it is accurate to use, as the twin clutch allows exactly the same, but also allows the automated function to take over for those without the desire to control it.

The difference I believe you're alluding to is single clutch vs dual clutch. Because nobody thought to put 2 clutch pedals in a car, this changes the perception.

I think it would be helpful if sites that restrict input to open the options to select Manual Single Clutch along with Manual Twin/Dual Clutch (or whatever universal language is best), because a dual clutch is not an auto, but rather a dual automated clutch manual.

I remember the days when people would try to list certain cars with 6 gears, and the drop-down menu only allowed 5speed (that was a while ago - but same premise - the displayed option was NOT an accurate description).

Yes, times change. 'Tis the reason we don't have to get out of our car to crank start it, or drive on wooden wheels. If your carriage isn't being pulled by a horse, you're new-school - and technology is scary. Remember when riding shotgun meant you were carrying the shotgun?

Me either. Things are different now I suppose.

dantm3 01-12-2019 07:30 AM

latest m3

Saw a brand new listing in Austin for a 6 speed 2009 m3 coupe. No pictures up, so i called and said it was a manual. I drive down to test drive and it was a DCT and had a sunroof (which also wasn't in listing).... I was pretty upset, but still test drove for my wasted time!