Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nothing like a good nut kick for the sales team at Susnet Imports

Old 07-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Jrod250 is on a distinguished road
Old 07-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Flip will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by JoeShark
My experience with Carrera was pretty much a joke when I tried to buy a car from them (or at least I think they are so out of touch with reality that I'm shocked they are still in business).

Long story short, I was looking to buy a 2007/2008 997 Cab. I live in Portland. They have a 2008 C2S Cab that they have had on their lot since early 2008, they punched the car in July of 2008, and it has a M.S.R.P. of right at $100k. They have it listed "on sale" for $90k. I was referred to them by someone who had done business with them so it wasn't like I was calling them just kicking tires. I inquire about the car and tell them I am ready to drive the 3 hours over the mountain with cashier's check in hand if we can find an aggreable price. They come back and say the best they can do, given that I'm ready to buy with cash in hand and since I was referred to them, is to sell me the car for $86k. Seriously? Really? They are trying to unload a car they have had sitting on their lot for 18 months that has had the warranty already started over a year ago (car is basically used by now) for $86k? REALLY?

These guys need to pull their heads out of the sand. When guys are buying brand new 2009 997.2 cars for $23k off of M.S.R.P. (20% off) and these jokers are going to offer me this, yeah, good luck to them. Let's just say I found my car in California where they knew what real transaction prices are at.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...od-deal-5.html
Page 5, Post 63
JoeShark, I too am in Portland. Bought a couple of vehicles from Sunset but a friend recommended me to Carrera in Bend. I'm working up a build for a 2010 Cayman S and doubt they'll move on price. Remember who you wrestled with over there? Any advice appreciated....Flip.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:35 AM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Flip
JoeShark, I too am in Portland. Bought a couple of vehicles from Sunset but a friend recommended me to Carrera in Bend. I'm working up a build for a 2010 Cayman S and doubt they'll move on price. Remember who you wrestled with over there? Any advice appreciated....Flip.
PM sent.

If you go to their website, you'll still see the car I'm talking about advertised for sale. They tried to put it on ebay a month or so ago with some riduculous minimum reserve and got ZERO offers.

Also, I'm not very familiar with Cayman's. Is there a great deal of difference between a new 2009 and 2010 model? I'm only asking because those in the market for a 2009 997 have been able to get them for 20% off M.S.R.P. You're probably right that you won't get much off a 2010 build (especially from our two dealers in Oregon).

Last edited by JoeShark; 07-21-2009 at 12:42 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:02 AM
911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about
mptodelo-

Your rules are good, but circumstances vary quite a bit. Here is some personal experience:

(1) Trying to sell a car yourself, especially an expensive sports cars, can draws lots of "tourists" ir you advertise in local papers and such. Maybe member-to-member classifieds on Rennlist. But all that takes time...

(2) I would ammend your rule about trading in a car - never trade in a Porsche at a Porsche dealership. Unless you are good friends with the owner, they will almost always screw you. Instead, I have had much better offers from other luxury dealerships on my trade-ins, or have been lucky enough to be friends of the owner of a Porsche dealership and we can do a fair deal.

That's my $0.01.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:30 AM
PM sent.

If you go to their website, you'll still see the car I'm talking about advertised for sale. They tried to put it on ebay a month or so ago with some riduculous minimum reserve and got ZERO offers.

Also, I'm not very familiar with Cayman's. Is there a great deal of difference between a new 2009 and 2010 model? I'm only asking because those in the market for a 2009 997 have been able to get them for 20% off M.S.R.P. You're probably right that you won't get much off a 2010 build (especially from our two dealers in Oregon).
Got your PM but don't know if you got my reply....something about I need a certain number of posts to send a PM. Re the differences in 2009 vs 2010 Cayman or Gen 1 vs Gen 2....engine up to 320hp vs 295, DFI, PDK transmission, etc, etc. I know I can save bucks by buying a Gen 1 and modding to get the hp/handling...did that with the Audi TT, but I've been wanting the PDK....amazing piece of work...plus now my wife can enjoy driving a car that I also works for me . My other option is to wait a year or so and let someone else eat the depreciation...might also not be able to get the exact car I want.....Nice dilemas to have though. Thanks..later.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:37 AM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Got your PM but don't know if you got my reply....something about I need a certain number of posts to send a PM. Re the differences in 2009 vs 2010 Cayman or Gen 1 vs Gen 2....engine up to 320hp vs 295, DFI, PDK transmission, etc, etc. I know I can save bucks by buying a Gen 1 and modding to get the hp/handling...did that with the Audi TT, but I've been wanting the PDK....amazing piece of work...plus now my wife can enjoy driving a car that I also works for me . My other option is to wait a year or so and let someone else eat the depreciation...might also not be able to get the exact car I want.....Nice dilemas to have though. Thanks..later.
Flip,

Yeah, I didn't get your PM as I think you have to have 15 posts before you can PM/reply to PM.

Hey, again, I'm not an expert on Cayman's but I thought the jump from Gen 1 to Gen 2 came in the model year from 2008 to 2009. So in your case, if you can find a 2009 sitting on a dealers lot optioned out to your liking (which is always the tough part), the 2009 IS a Gen 2 with the 320hp, DFI, PDK, etc. Am I correct in this?

Anyway, look forward to meeting up some time. There's a cars and coffee gathering every Saturday morning down at Bridgeport Village.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Flip,

Yeah, I didn't get your PM as I think you have to have 15 posts before you can PM/reply to PM.

Hey, again, I'm not an expert on Cayman's but I thought the jump from Gen 1 to Gen 2 came in the model year from 2008 to 2009. So in your case, if you can find a 2009 sitting on a dealers lot optioned out to your liking (which is always the tough part), the 2009 IS a Gen 2 with the 320hp, DFI, PDK, etc. Am I correct in this?

Anyway, look forward to meeting up some time. There's a cars and coffee gathering every Saturday morning down at Bridgeport Village.
I think you are correct and the tough part is the "optioned out to your liking"...but hey, I may learn to "not like" some stuff at the right price point . Thanks for the heads up on cars/coffee at Bridgeport....since I've already sold my Audi TT (and my truck probably won't quite fit in), I'll catch you when I have the Porsche Cayman.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:29 AM
mptoledo is a name known to allmptoledo is a name known to allmptoledo is a name known to allmptoledo is a name known to allmptoledo is a name known to allmptoledo is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 911TurboS2
mptodelo-

Your rules are good, but circumstances vary quite a bit. Here is some personal experience:

(1) Trying to sell a car yourself, especially an expensive sports cars, can draws lots of "tourists" ir you advertise in local papers and such. Maybe member-to-member classifieds on Rennlist. But all that takes time...

(2) I would ammend your rule about trading in a car - never trade in a Porsche at a Porsche dealership. Unless you are good friends with the owner, they will almost always screw you. Instead, I have had much better offers from other luxury dealerships on my trade-ins, or have been lucky enough to be friends of the owner of a Porsche dealership and we can do a fair deal.

That's my $0.01.

Great point, Member to member would definately cut out the rif/raft and a friend in the business definately helps but you still gotta be alert, You know "trust but verify" .

Maybe I should have called them guidelines rather than rules and they are always open to flexibility. You still gotta understand that you can always get more by selling it yourself(done right) than a dealer buying it. He still has to mark it up and sell it. I learned in the car business years ago, "for every *** there is a seat". Meaning somebody out there wants your car, its your job to market it and find that or those customers. I prefer the shotgun effect, by hitting a large market and weeding out the rest.

Last edited by mptoledo; 07-21-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:55 AM
....at the right price point .
20% off M.S.R.P. is a pretty good price point in my books

Old 08-02-2009, 12:22 AM
Rick Johnson is on a distinguished road
Thought I might post a defensible reply to the negative comments about my Porsche Center. If there is a person out there with any problems Sales, parts, or Service please contact me direct because I care. Don't be a ******.

As far as my having my head in the sand and you can't believe we are still in business...WTF are you talking about? I will never hide behind an alias and will put our Porsche business up against any in the country as PAG likes us a bunch becasue we know the cars from the track up. We might suck at being a slick prestadigious big city car dealer but we do understand the cars and have the business and driving skills to prove it. That is how PAG wants it, how is your dealer outfitted? Some dude in a suit pushing compromise?

Believe it or not this year has been a challenge but we are still supporting motorsports on the west coast, PCA club events, and expanding our Club Carrera offerings while others are just crossing their legs and making excuses.

If someone out there has some constructive advise for our business I am always open hearing it and improving any aspect of our company. Other than that we hope to be a positive asset to the community and as always I will see you at the track...

Rj

Old 08-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Rick Johnson
Thought I might post a defensible reply to the negative comments about my Porsche Center. If there is a person out there with any problems Sales, parts, or Service please contact me direct because I care. Don't be a ******.

As far as my having my head in the sand and you can't believe we are still in business...WTF are you talking about? I will never hide behind an alias and will put our Porsche business up against any in the country as PAG likes us a bunch becasue we know the cars from the track up. We might suck at being a slick prestadigious big city car dealer but we do understand the cars and have the business and driving skills to prove it. That is how PAG wants it, how is your dealer outfitted? Some dude in a suit pushing compromise?

Believe it or not this year has been a challenge but we are still supporting motorsports on the west coast, PCA club events, and expanding our Club Carrera offerings while others are just crossing their legs and making excuses.

If someone out there has some constructive advise for our business I am always open hearing it and improving any aspect of our company. Other than that we hope to be a positive asset to the community and as always I will see you at the track...

Rj
In my brief experience with Carrera Motors in Bend, Oregon, I have nothing but good things to say. They have been very responsive to all of my questions and the various configuration requests.

Keep up the good work Rick.

Bob Flippen

Old 08-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Mark F. Mueller is on a distinguished road
I have purchased 5 cars from Carrera Motors in Bend, starting with my new 1993 RS America that I purchased on a cell phone coming back from Seattle (remember what cell phones were like in 1992???). I even got a $4000 discount and spec'ed it as we drove! This dealership, it's owner and the sales staff are great - true car enthusists through and through! They handle Audi's and BMW's too.

To let you know the quality of people at Carrera, let me share with you an experience I had with the dealership. I purchased my second new Audi Allroad from Carrera and after 11 trips to the dealer ( which, by the way was Sunset and no, I do not think they did bad service, I truly like their service department, and they are physically closer to me for service) I called Tom Anderson, the owner of Carrera, and explained that I had a problem and I wanted out of the car. Tom ask what I wanted to do, and I said I wanted to trade it for a BMW five series all wheel drive wagon. Bottom line, Carrera took my problem Allroad back, only charged me a couple of thousand dollars for my use and sold me a BMW wagon at a discount! Now you tell me how many car dealers in this world would do that? Really, think about what they did! There was no ranting and raving, no "Lemon Law" threats and no attorneys, they just did the right thing - all with just one call to the dealer!!! As a result, I will probably be a customer for life.

No one can convince me that there are not truly outstanding people at Carrera. Do they need to make a profit to stay in business? Hell yes they do, but they are also reasonable and will work with you - even when something bad goes wrong they do not go and hide!!!!

Shop where you want, but I know were I am going for my next car!

Mark