6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Boxster / Cayman (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/boxster-cayman-16/)
-   -   Convertable drains backed up! (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/boxster-cayman/179504-convertable-drains-backed-up.html)

GaryRes 07-21-2009 06:59 PM

Convertable drains backed up!

Hey guys,
I own a 997C2S, a Ferrari and my wife has a Boxster (2007). When the car was 6 months old (1 1/2 years ago). the convertable top failed, water backed up into the car and ruined the computer located under the drivers seat. I had a huge fight with the dealer, but they paid the $3,200.00 bill because they said that the car was in my possession for only 6 months. They told me that I have to do an annual service and clean the drains in the future. This past February I had the car in for service (oil change). The dealer never reminded me about the annual service which was one year since it was done last. This past week...same problem. Roof stopped working, water backed up into the interior and all the electrical systems failed. Car was towed to dealer. This time they refused to pay. Keep in mind that I have had a 993, 997, two Boxsters and a Cheyenne and I am a member of PCA. The bill will be about three to Four grand again. Either I pay it or submit it to my insurance. I'm pissed. If this service is so detrimental to the car, and if the service is not done the car suffers a huge breakdown, shouldn't the dealer remind you of the service either by a post card, e-mail or when I bring it in for service remind me? I am very dissapointed in Porsche. Are cars selling so swiftly that they don't care about a repeat customer? My wife will never buy a Porsche again. By the way, I have had numerous issues with this Boxster. I also called Porsche (1800 Porsche) and they said that its an annual service that must be done. If it MUST be done like an oil change then a reminder should be a nice thing to do. Last time when they paid for it, they had me sign a waiver that I would not write anything negative about them on any boards. I'm under the impression that this particular dealer repairs at least Fifteen Porsches with the same problem every year. Do they not let us know so Porsche dealers keep making money on the repairs that otherwise would be paid by Porsche and the loss would be paid by Porsche? I'm curious what you guys think or if someone knows someone that I could talk to at Porsche. Also, the dealer knows that my wifes Boxster is up in about a year and that she wanted a 911. Unfortunatley, the SL will probably be in my garage for my wife then a 911.

Crazed1 07-22-2009 09:33 AM

Sorry to hear about your issue. Is the car parked outside under trees or something? I mean, how do the drains get clogged? I have an 07 BS and would like to check mine. Can you describe where these drains are located, or maybe post a pic??

I agree...if it's annual service, I would expect the dealer to mention it and ask you if they should check it. Very strange...and I imagine, frustrating. Hope you can resolve this with them...

renzop 07-22-2009 11:38 AM

What do you mean by "the roof failed"? Something else is wrong other than clogged drains. Are you sure the wife didn't leave the roof open in the rain?:(

PS - it's Cayenne not Cheyenne

GaryRes 07-22-2009 12:08 PM

My wife did not leave the roof open. There are drains called (cowl drains) that are under the cover that opens up to let the roof close or open. I believe there are four drains. In the North East we loose leaves in the Fall and the leaves could clog the drains. Not necessarly the leaves, but the small debris that falls from the trees. We do not park it under any trees but there are trees around my property. My problem is the the dealer should mention it, but as I stated its a big money maker. If your car is an 07 I would clean the drains. As for the "roof failed" what happens when the carpet gets wet, the so called "brain" gets wet (under driver seat), and disables the roof, and causes the windows not to work and in a strange way causes the rear lights to stay on, which kills the battery. This is the same symptoms that I had the 1st time. Today I called my insurance company and I am submitting a claim. Either I submit a claim or pay the 3-4 grand to repair the car. My advice is when you get an oil change, clean tthe roof drains.

GaryRes 07-22-2009 12:13 PM

I know its a Cayenne. I need spell check! By the way, I like the Boxster. And in some ways better than my 911. Its really a great car, other than the dealer not being helpful. I'm disappointed in the dealer. Also, ONLY Porsche's have this issue.

thnxbabe 07-22-2009 12:47 PM

My Box was parked outside all the time (no garage), and littered with pine needles and all manner of other stuff. The drains never got blocked up.

The locations of the drains are in the owners manual. They are easy to check and clean yourself. AFAIK cleaning them is not a normal part of scheduled maintenance. Check them every time you wash your car.

I agree with Renz - something else going on. There is no relationship between the drains working (or not) and the top working. The top would only not work AFTER the drains backed up and water entered the passenger area of the cabin.

With all due respect, I can't blame the dealer for not paying the 2nd time. This gets filed under user error.

boxtaboy 07-22-2009 01:20 PM

Weird. I've never had my drains clogged in all the years I've owned my Boxster, but then again, it's always housed in a garage where no leaves can make their way into the drains. Although some dealership technicians may go through the effort to check your drains during the service they perform, if you park out in the open, there's still is no guarantee that they won't clog up the very next day if a bunch of debris fall on your car one windy day. I don't think the onus is on the dealership to keep your drains clear.

As one poster noted, the drain locations are indicated in your owner's manual, and you can periodically check them yourself to make sure they are clear by just using a cup of water and pouring them down the drains to see if they evacuate under the car or not. If not, just used a can of compressed air to blow them out, and the problem will never happen again.

Here are the locations:
http://www.realtime.net/~rentner/Por...ns/drains.html

GaryRes 07-22-2009 01:26 PM

With all due respect...When the computer module gets wet, the electrical system, starting with the roof stops functioning. Now, when the carpet gets wet from the water getting in to the cabin, there could be a delay of when the malfunction begins (could be a week). Just so happens I did not notice the carpet was wet until the service guy told me to feel the carpet behind the front seat. The carpet by the drivers area (pedals and brake, were not wet). At the time the roof was down. it was during the day. At night the roof is always closed. You guys don't know me, but the guys on other boards who do, will tell you that I am a fanatic. My autos are detailed, and when I get rid of my cars, people who know how I take care of them, line up to purchase them. This particular dealer among others constantly ask me when I am selling my cars. So as far as something else going on, this is not the case. Or I am not aware of a defect that may exists with this car. I also don't understand what you mean that there is no relationship between the drains working or not. My issue is that the drains did back up and water entered the cabin. So tell me where the user error occurred? The only user error is that I did not clean the drains. And I fully understand this. I just would want the dealer to make it known verbally or in writing to its customers. You live in Florida. Its a moot point for you. You don't go through fall.

GaryRes 07-22-2009 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by boxtaboy (Post 2471830)
Weird. I've never had my drains clogged in all the years I've owned my Boxster, but then again, it's always housed in a garage where no leaves can make their way into the drains. Although some dealership technicians may go through the effort to check your drains during the service they perform, if you park out in the open, there's still is no guarantee that they won't clog up the very next day if a bunch of debris fall on your car one windy day. I don't think the onus is on the dealership to keep your drains clear.

As one poster noted, the drain locations are indicated in your owner's manual, and you can periodically check them yourself to make sure they are clear by just using a cup of water and pouring them down the drains to see if they evacuate under the car or not. If not, just used a can of compressed air to blow them out, and the problem will never happen again.

Here are the locations:
http://www.realtime.net/~rentner/Por...ns/drains.html

I agree that the onus is not on the dealership, but it would be nice to let me know to clean them as they do for other services. Guys, I have 5 cars (and 4 kids). Its not easy remembering all the different services. The tuneups, oil changes, brakes and tires are always addressed. By the way, my 911 is in the garage and I never experienced this problem with the 911 or any other 911's or my wifes previous Boxster. Believe me, every time i get an annual inspection (In NY its once a yr), the drains will be cleaned.

GaryRes 07-22-2009 01:37 PM

[Here are the locations:
http://www.realtime.net/~rentner/Por...ns/drains.html[/quote]
Thanks for the diagram.

boxtaboy 07-22-2009 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by GaryRes (Post 2471848)
I agree that the onus is not on the dealership, but it would be nice to let me know to clean them as they do for other services. Guys, I have 5 cars (and 4 kids). Its not easy remembering all the different services. The tuneups, oil changes, brakes and tires are always addressed. By the way, my 911 is in the garage and I never experienced this problem with the 911 or any other 911's or my wifes previous Boxster. Believe me, every time i get an annual inspection (In NY its once a yr), the drains will be cleaned.

With 5 cars and 4 kids, you are just too busy to keep track of all that stuff. I'll gladly watch over the Boxster and 911 for you, and insure that the drains are always clear! hilarious

GaryRes 07-22-2009 02:45 PM

Lol!

thnxbabe 07-22-2009 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by GaryRes (Post 2471840)
I also don't understand what you mean that there is no relationship between the drains working or not.

That was my dyslexia working overtime. I read it as the drains backed up because the top wasn't working - sorry.

The only user error is that I did not clean the drains.

Exactly! Can't beat the dealer up over user error.

You live in Florida. Its a moot point for you. You don't go through fall.

Tell that to the trees in my yard. Especially the dozen or so 60+ ft pines

GaryRes 07-22-2009 03:43 PM

Pine trees are not good. In the North East we have lots of oaks. And before the leaves fall, there are these little things that are crusty that fall and are everywhere. They clogg up the gutters and my.....car drains. My only point was that a dealer should notify us for service. Especially something as costly as this. I just got the bil. $4,750.00 My advise to all people who have a fall...clean your drains!

noboarders 07-22-2009 08:34 PM

Same thing happened to my car. It fried the computer and the car shut itself down.
I claimed it under insurance and its covered under comprehensive. I only paid my deductable and my insurance didnt go up.

Open the top half way and flush out the drains once in a while to keep good flow.