Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF!!!! convertible top broken

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:21 PM
Dr.Confused is on a distinguished road
WTF!!!! convertible top broken

Has this happened to anyone??

My '09 Boxster S curvy bar thing that goes up and down when you open and close the top slipped off the track unilaterally therefore when going back down one side proceeded to move and the other side got sort of pushed down into the crevice.

I can close and open the top but the curvy bar thing will NOT GO DOWN!!!!
So i had roadside come and tow it.

The worst part.....ready,
We just finished our exam finals block. 22 exams later and this weekend was the ONLY time I had off and then we start radiology and micro in our summer semester on monday. Wonderful weekend, thanks PORSCHE!

Old 05-01-2010, 09:03 PM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
sorry to hear about this issue. I think I've only heard of one other similar case, and it was due to, IIRC, something about the cable snapping.
I pop the top every chance I get and have not issues *knock on wood*. I see you're in Ft Lauderdale, ... Champion should be able to quickly address this and get you back on the road soon. Good luck and maybe see you on the road.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:39 PM
So, I got my car back! It took them about a week but overall what can I say, I love this car! Hopefully this won't happen to any of you guys. Just so you know the "curvy bar thing" I was referring to is officially titled CAB TOP CLAM SHELL. Also, the reason this all happened was a ball pin broke off in the right side trans. lever. They installed a new trans lever and pushrod. Problem was that when it broke, it managed to put a gash in the canvas top so they had to replace that as well. My car was brand new, 4000 miles on it in the course of a year. As you can see I barely drive it. So this could happen to any one of you guys so now you know what the diagnosis is.

Sadly though our finals are coming up soon so my opportunity to drive the vehicle is no more...what can you do?

Lastly, the dealer told me I shouldn't open my top for 2 days; to allow the new canvas to stretch. Can anyone who has had the canvas top replaced please elaborate more on this process? Thank you all.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:55 PM
You will not believe what happened today!
I took my car with the new roof through a brushless car wash today and noticed a leak by the window on the driver's side. I called porsche and am waiting to hear back from them tomorrow. Anyone have this happen?????

Old 05-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Dr.Confused
You will not believe what happened today!
I took my car with the new roof through a brushless car wash today and noticed a leak by the window on the driver's side. I called porsche and am waiting to hear back from them tomorrow. Anyone have this happen?????
Convertibles of any brand and pressure washers are not very compatible.

Took My RS 60 through one and kept a rag handy to catch the water. Sure enough, leaked very little but leaked as expected.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:18 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sloopy
Convertibles of any brand and pressure washers are not very compatible.

Took My RS 60 through one and kept a rag handy to catch the water. Sure enough, leaked very little but leaked as expected.
Correct. Owners manual, page 234, and a note from page 235.

No folding top is 100% leak proof.
Due to the constant changing of loads and strains
to which a car is subject to when driving on roads,
minor wind noise and seepage at joints between
the top, body and doors on convertible tops
cannot be completely sealed in certain areas.
Therefore small leaks are considered normal
for these models. In addition, your convertible
top should not be washed in a car wash. The
top may experience damage by the brushes or
may experience leaks due to the high pressure
water streams directed in areas which would not

encounter water in normal driving conditions.

Note
Automatic car washes spray water at odd angles
and high pressures, which are not seen in normal
driving. Therefore, water can sometimes find its
way into the passengers compartment during or

shortly after the car wash.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:01 PM
You know i learn something new everyday! Thanks guys I really had no idea. I was reading up on Boxster Spyder and constantly came across people saying the roof isn't meant for a car wash and for some reason I just assumed that because people were bringing that up often it wasn't necessarily the case the with the Boxster S. I see; so should I tell Porsche nothing is wrong when they call tomorrow??

Old 05-10-2010, 12:25 AM
essayons will become famous soon enough
Yes, OP, the dealer was right in telling you to leave the top up for a few days. Coming from the insurance industry, and spending a lot of time working in body shops, I can assure you that that brand new canvas top needs to stretch quite a bit.

We had a mustang vert owner get a new top put on his car, and we told him to leave it shut for at least the next 5 days to a week. Well, the idiot came back a few days later saying the top didn't close all the way, and it took a lot of work to get it closed. Canvas wasn't given time to stretch properly, and so it caused issues with the top. About a year later, he came back saying that the top didn't go up at all anymore. Our best guess was that the extra strain on the motor from the canvas (that, apparently, he never left up for very long at all) wore out the motor.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:07 PM
Globespy is on a distinguished road
I feel your pain - my top crapped out last year and was an expensive fix as one of the rods that pushes it up into place had punctures the waterproof tray that the top stows into...needed replaced basicall

Old 05-14-2010, 09:15 PM
MKBOX22 is on a distinguished road
Have not had a problem with mine. Rain or shine.