Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you buy a Cayman R or a 2nd hand Gallardo if they are the same price?
Cayman R
16.33%
Gallardo
83.67%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

New Cayman R or 2nd hand Gallardo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 05:01 AM
xbestso is on a distinguished road
New Cayman R or 2nd hand Gallardo

Anyone had experience with both cars? Which one is better for mostly city driving?

Old 01-25-2011, 06:51 AM
Atob is on a distinguished road
never driven either... but seems a very unfair comparison.
Gallardo hands down... different class of car

Old 01-25-2011, 08:44 AM
DJH
DJH is just really niceDJH is just really niceDJH is just really niceDJH is just really niceDJH is just really nice
How is this even a question? I love Porsche but the Gallardo and the Cayman R are in completely different classes.

I'd take the lambo for sure.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:31 PM
dyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud of
i generally agree with getting the gallardo but not everyone likes to buy a used car. and it depends on how you will use the vehicle and how much it will cost you to own and operate. many people rather have the cayman r otherwise they would never sell!

Old 01-25-2011, 01:11 PM
kouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant future
A loaded cayman r will put you around 85k, which is the very entry level for a 2004 gallardo.

One is a new car, very light with plenty of power and presumably excellent track characteristics.

The gallardo will be a 7 year old car with probably over 20k miles. The very first gallardos had some issues... All in all the gallardo is the gallardo especially compared to the cayman, however the age of the car as well as the insane servicing costs would make me think about it twice! Isn't it true that a gallardo clutch is a 10+ thousand dollar car?

Old 01-25-2011, 01:38 PM
FikseGTS has a reputation beyond reputeFikseGTS has a reputation beyond reputeFikseGTS has a reputation beyond reputeFikseGTS has a reputation beyond reputeFikseGTS has a reputation beyond reputeFikseGTS has a reputation beyond reputeFikseGTS has a reputation beyond reputeFikseGTS has a reputation beyond reputeFikseGTS has a reputation beyond reputeFikseGTS has a reputation beyond reputeFikseGTS has a reputation beyond repute
put em next to each other and decide... Gallardo is older but will hold it's value better against a new Cayman....

Old 01-25-2011, 04:27 PM
limitup has a spectacular aura aboutlimitup has a spectacular aura about
While I'd love to own a Gallardo, I can't stand the attention you get driving an exotic. Many of my true friends also don't have a ton of money, and I just can't imagine driving a Gallardo around town or my "normal" upper middle class neighborhood. I'm the complete opposite of an attention *****, so maybe it's just me.

On the other hand, my Porsche is "just" an entry-level Cayman S, which blends right in here in SoCal. When I'm done with it, performance wise it'll beat a Gallardo around any track so it's the best of both worlds IMO.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:33 PM
VUCommodores has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Is it going to be your only car? I can't imagine having a Lambo for my DD. It would just be weird driving it to everyday places like the grocery store, Target, the gym etc. I guess I'm sort of in the same boat as limitup and don't want to be "that guy." A red P car is really pushing the envelope for me personally.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:49 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VUCommodores
Is it going to be your only car? I can't imagine having a Lambo for my DD. It would just be weird driving it to everyday places like the grocery store, Target, the gym etc. I guess I'm sort of in the same boat as limitup and don't want to be "that guy." A red P car is really pushing the envelope for me personally.
+1.

The reason I chose a GT-R, is because of the additional seats, huge trunk (can fit 5gl jugs, week+ of groceries for family of 6, drive to the store in the snow, etc...), for the daily crap.

I'd pick the Cayman for daily driving, just for visibility, capability, and reliability. Not being able to see past the Miata in front of me, and see the school bus, would really get on my nerves.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:06 PM
FikseGTS has a reputation beyond reputeFikseGTS has a reputation beyond reputeFikseGTS has a reputation beyond reputeFikseGTS has a reputation beyond reputeFikseGTS has a reputation beyond reputeFikseGTS has a reputation beyond reputeFikseGTS has a reputation beyond reputeFikseGTS has a reputation beyond reputeFikseGTS has a reputation beyond reputeFikseGTS has a reputation beyond reputeFikseGTS has a reputation beyond repute
GT-R is the ultimate daily driver..... 31k miles on mine, trading it in for the 2012 in a few weeks.....

Originally Posted by jaspergtr
+1.

The reason I chose a GT-R, is because of the additional seats, huge trunk (can fit 5gl jugs, week+ of groceries for family of 6, drive to the store in the snow, etc...), for the daily crap.

I'd pick the Cayman for daily driving, just for visibility, capability, and reliability. Not being able to see past the Miata in front of me, and see the school bus, would really get on my nerves.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:29 PM
GT-R is a fun car but it weighs like 3700 or 3800 lbs. No thanks!

Old 01-25-2011, 05:30 PM
cfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to behold
I would compare a Cayman S with PASM to the Lambo. IMHO.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:53 PM
VUCommodores has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Originally Posted by cfgtts
I would compare a Cayman S with PASM to the Lambo. IMHO.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:54 PM
double the HP of the Cayman S takes care of that.....

Originally Posted by limitup
GT-R is a fun car but it weighs like 3700 or 3800 lbs. No thanks!

Old 01-25-2011, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by FikseGTS
double the HP of the Cayman S takes care of that.....
Not really. A Caymen with decent suspension mods handles like a go cart. The same cannot be said about a GT-R. Slap a 15k turbo kit on a CS and it will beat a GTR around most any track, for less money.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Cayman R or 2nd hand Gallardo