Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfire - an issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:19 AM
cassiri is a jewel in the roughcassiri is a jewel in the roughcassiri is a jewel in the rough
Misfire - an issue?

My 2006 Boxster S, recently misfired pulling out of the driveway. It was not really a backfire, just a miss with loss of power for a second and continue on. No CEL. I have also had random occasional stalls (3 times) over the past couple years. The dealership says, no CEL, no issue. Is this what happens with highly tuned machines? Or symptoms of a problem?

Old 08-17-2011, 07:11 AM
harryrcb will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by cassiri
My 2006 Boxster S, recently misfired pulling out of the driveway. It was not really a backfire, just a miss with loss of power for a second and continue on. No CEL. I have also had random occasional stalls (3 times) over the past couple years. The dealership says, no CEL, no issue. Is this what happens with highly tuned machines? Or symptoms of a problem?
This is not normal. I could be a number of things. If you got gas after a heavy rain storm from a low lying gas station you could have picked up some water. Might have some condensation in your tank. could be (not likely) a short someplace in a wire. Could be the fuel pump or the fuel pump relay. I would start out with the simplest of fixes and locate your fuel pump relay pulll it out and reinstall it several time to make sure the contacts are clean. If the problem persists replace the relay.
Some of the other things that cause the sistuation you described are dirty air filter, dirty maf sensor, so replace your filter and clean the maf.
good luck

Old 08-17-2011, 09:26 PM
bensonJ is on a distinguished road
I would check the ignition coils for cracking and corrosion. This can cause random misfires especially if they get damp.
Ben