Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing red light on Engine Temp Gauge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 09:34 AM
cassiri is a jewel in the roughcassiri is a jewel in the roughcassiri is a jewel in the rough
Flashing red light on Engine Temp Gauge

I have been through a couple Engine Compartment fans and sensors already in my 2006 Boxster S. Lately I got a couple warnings about "engine compartment fan failure" again, but they quickly go away. Yesterday while sitting, idling I got a flashing orange indicator near the temp gauge.

At no time did the temp gauge budge even a bit above normal and the engine compartment fan continues to run so I'm not sure what to make of it. Dealer will definitely say bring it in so they can nose around. Just wondering if there are any thoughts on this?

Btw I'm in Texas and we have been 100+ forever so it is a bit of a test for the system to be sure.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:23 PM
gikser is infamous around these parts
check your coolant level in the rear overflow tank. same thing happened to me and i was low on coolant.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:06 PM
cassiri is a jewel in the roughcassiri is a jewel in the roughcassiri is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by gikser
check your coolant level in the rear overflow tank. same thing happened to me and i was low on coolant.

Thanks, I will check it. If it is low I guess that raises other questions since your not supposed to lose coolant normally.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:21 PM
RoninW is on a distinguished road
+1 most likely low coolant level if the light is flashing

Old 08-31-2011, 06:25 PM
Atob is on a distinguished road
X2... same with mine

Old 09-08-2011, 08:32 AM
good call

So the coolant level is very slightly low. The cap says "water" in many languages. Do you add just water to bring it up to level? Is the white crusty residue around the cap normal?

As I mentioned before, is coolant loss normal?

Old 09-11-2011, 05:38 PM
sayporsha is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cassiri
So the coolant level is very slightly low. The cap says "water" in many languages. Do you add just water to bring it up to level? Is the white crusty residue around the cap normal?

As I mentioned before, is coolant loss normal?
It's OK to add distilled water to top off the coolant. Tap water contains stuff that can cause corrosion in the cooling system.

Gradual coolant loss seems to plague Boxsters & Caymans with no apparent single cause. There are numerous threads on this topic on the Planet 9 forum, so do a search there. The crusty white residue around your cap could mean the cap can't hold pressure and needs replacement.