6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Boxster / Cayman (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/boxster-cayman-16/)
-   -   Aftermarket stereo ideas? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/boxster-cayman/260362-aftermarket-stereo-ideas.html)

cay-man-ess23 11-16-2011 11:56 AM

Aftermarket stereo ideas?

Currently I have a Cayman S with nav 2.1 and sound package plus. Which in my opinion are horrid and I'm upgrading. Has anyone upgraded their Cayman or Boxster with this combination? Any issues?

If I do this, I'm going to definitely do this the right way. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and hope to hear some feedback soon!

cay-man-ess23 11-16-2011 02:21 PM

I'm thinking the Kenwood 9980HD for a headunit. Any thoughts on that?

dave-t 11-16-2011 05:06 PM

The Apline 910 is the way to go. I have a friend who owns a high end stereo install shop he swears by it. After you change you head unit put some new amps and speakers in there and you have yourself a system that is cayman worthy. In my new Cayman R I have 2 JL 8" subs going in the rear hatch, in the 4" speaker factory spot I am putting a set of Focal KRS100's and in the front a set of Focal Utopia Be #6's all run on a True technology super billet 6 with stage 4 upgrade. I will also keep the factory PCM3.0 in and use a Audiocontrol DQL-8 to level out the signal to allow the aftermarket amps.

dave-t

cay-man-ess23 11-17-2011 08:16 AM

I'm most likely going to go with Focal all around the car besides going with 2 6" JL subs in the rear hatch area. Also going with Kenwood's 9980HD hu. Anyone have any experience with the 9980? Seems like a pretty slick system and quite intuitive.

Dennis C 11-17-2011 08:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I considered the 9980 when I upgraded the system in my C4S, but I ended up going with the Kenwood 6960. I did this for a couple of reasons. First of all, it doesn't have a motorized face. That's one less thing to break, in my book. Secondly, it has a volume knob instead of buttons. This is a personal preference - but I really like a knob better. I did order the Sirius module and the live traffic module, and they are great. The only feature that I wish I had was the upgrade to the Garmin nav on the 9980 that shows the proper lane selection during navigation. That's a nice feature.

I went with Focal speakers and amps. Everything is in the stock locations, and I had custom subwoofer box built that integrates into the interior with a stock look. I also had a custom iPhone/iPod dock built into the dash that conceals the phone when it's docked.

I'm extremely pleased with the Kenwood and Focal combination.

cay-man-ess23 11-17-2011 02:53 PM

Did you notice if the car behaves a little differently now that you took out the old stereo? I've heard the cars can be a little finicky if the original equipment is removed.

Dennis C 11-17-2011 09:59 PM

The only difference I've noticed is that my electronics are up to date and my stereo sounds dramatically better!