6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Boxster / Cayman (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/boxster-cayman-16/)
-   -   Burning white smoke (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/boxster-cayman/261385-burning-white-smoke.html)

caunyd 11-28-2011 03:21 PM

Burning white smoke

Hi guys. As I was driving, all of a sudden A LOT of white smoke started coming out from my car. The smoke had a burning smell. The yellow engine light went on in the dash. So when this happened, I immediately stopped the car and had it towed.

What do you guys think this is?

I have consistently changed the oil on this car, usually every 5-10,000 miles. The most recent oil change was 2,000 miles ago. According to the dash, I have adequate oil. So is this an oil problem?

What I have noticed is that for over 1 1/2 years, there was a burning smell, probably from the rear vents, after I drove and then parked the car, but everything worked perfectly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

tnoice 11-28-2011 05:05 PM

You might want to research the Air Oil Seperator (AOS). That can be the cause of white smoke and is fairly common.

caunyd 11-29-2011 01:34 PM

tnoice, thanks for the reply. Any other suggestions as to what the problem might be?

harryrcb 11-29-2011 07:59 PM

99 % of the time it is the AOS.

Kians313 11-29-2011 08:09 PM

Is the car rattling? Engine feels like its at brink of stalling? If so maybe a fuel injector issue.... Once had the injector stuck in the open position... So kept dumping fuel into the cylinders and exhaust...

MkC2S 11-29-2011 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by harryrcb (Post 3385757)
99 % of the time it is the AOS.

+1...happens to mine not long ago..a big puff of smoke..well more like a mushroom clouds out of the tailpipes while driving...had the AOS replaced & no more smokes...

caunyd 12-03-2011 03:11 PM

I tried to remove and replace my air oil separator, but I couldn't do it. So I haven't turned on the engine since. So I had the car towed to the mechanic, but now I notice an oil leak, which I never noticed before. Even when there was first white smoke, I checked the oil level, and it was full. Can removing the AOS, without replacing it somehow cause oil to leak?

caunyd 12-04-2011 01:44 PM

I think the oil leak was because of the bad air oil separator allowed too much oil to get into the cylinder/piston. So I replaced the air oil separator. But after I replaced the AOS, I tried to start the engine, but it wouldn't start. It just made a "click" sound. At first I thought it was a battery problem, but then I charged and then jumped started the car, but it still wouldn't start.

My thinking was that perhaps too much oil went into the cylinder/piston. The engine won't start because now the piston was trying to compress oil, which is an incompressible liquid. I think this is what they call "hydraulic lock." So I tried to take out all 6 spark plugs to allow the oil to drain out. Sure enough, after I removed the 5th spark plug, oil drained out. After removing all 6 spark plugs, I cranked the key for several seconds so that the pistons would pump out any additional oil in the cylinder. Then, I replaced all 6 spark plugs.

After doing this, my engine was able to start again, but there was still the initial white burning smoke, but a lot less of it. So then I figured there was still some oil residue in the engine, so I stepped on the gas, and had the car at 3,000 rpm for a few minutes to try to get rid of the oil residue. After doing all this, the burning white smoke has stopped, and I believe my problem is fixed. However, now I'm getting the error message "take to the engine shop." I think that the problem is solved, but now, because of oil being in the engine, perhaps some sensors have been damaged, and therefore I'm getting this error message, even though I think that everything is ok now.

Why do you think I'm getting this error message? Do you think I did anything wrong? Can you guys make any suggestions or give any advice?