Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Boxster need help: FL and Power upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 11:43 PM
Edward Kazuki Yip is on a distinguished road
2008 Boxster need help: FL and Power upgrade

Hello everyone, and thanks for taking time to read this.

So I recently bought a 2008 Boxster White with black accents and wheels with the beige interior, looked too nice to pass up... anyhow, now I've realized that I kind of made a mistake in getting the 2.7L., But what is done is done. Sorry, I have always been a Mercedes owner and driver and this would be my first Porsche so please excuse my lack of knowledge

So to use TPC turbo kit (assuming its worth it for the power gain) I would need the front bumper off the S model. would it be better to do a engine swop or upgrade with Turbos? I have a Mercedes CL600 that is modded and I would hate for the boxster to have lagtime generated by the turbos. but If I do a engine swop, generally what engine and what is the estimated cost for a swop vs turbo upgrading to make the same power?

The Sport DE kit sold by Porsche dealer is ruffly 4.5K? parts number 987-044-802-16. (I wanted a 2009 FL front and rear end) this should include the front and rear bumper? but is it complete with all the extra little things needed to make it mount properly?

The SPORT DE kit suppose to now need the DRL instead of the ones on the 2008, so i need part number (987-631-095-02 and 096-02) and the control box and wire kit to it correct?

Then the headlights need to be updated as well as the tail lights to fit the new Sport DE kit? Parts Number (987-631-169-22 and 170-22) as well as the tail lights (987-631-425-04 and 426-04) and the control box and wire kits.

The total in parts upgrade from the dealership would be around 12K... is there alternative body kits that are not made out of cheap fiberglass if so what are they?

Thanks for reading this, and I hope someone can help me out.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:00 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
In my opinion it would be less expensive (and wiser) to either buy another car or enjoy the one you have for what it already is .

Here's why :
1) If you add 12K to an 08 car you will never see that 12k again. It will also become harder to sell that modified car which is already 5 years old .

2) A Turbo upgrade in my opinion not only alters the driving dynamics of the car (which was built for a mid engine NA configuration) but opens the door to even more repair possibilities and added cost.

In short .. 5 to 12K later , wait time for installation , repairs , and difficulty to sell are just a few reasons to leave the car as it is . In my opinion a car is supposed to be an enjoyable thing.. not a money pit .

If unhappy .. sell the 08 car and get a higher HP car . a Boxster is not intended to be a power car but it is a fun car which is amazingly balanced .

Old 06-21-2013, 10:15 AM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by yrralis1
In my opinion it would be less expensive (and wiser) to either buy another car or enjoy the one you have for what it already is .

Here's why :
1) If you add 12K to an 08 car you will never see that 12k again. It will also become harder to sell that modified car which is already 5 years old .

2) A Turbo upgrade in my opinion not only alters the driving dynamics of the car (which was built for a mid engine NA configuration) but opens the door to even more repair possibilities and added cost.

In short .. 5 to 12K later , wait time for installation , repairs , and difficulty to sell are just a few reasons to leave the car as it is . In my opinion a car is supposed to be an enjoyable thing.. not a money pit .

If unhappy .. sell the 08 car and get a higher HP car . a Boxster is not intended to be a power car but it is a fun car which is amazingly balanced .
...what he said

Old 09-02-2013, 10:39 AM
flyntgr is on a distinguished road
What if the car is a 2008 Cayman S with aero/R foil?

The investment of $10-12K would be cheaper than getting a new Vette or used Viper. What say you?

Old 09-02-2013, 12:12 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Sell it and write the loss (if any) off to education. Then do some homework and research to figure out what model of Porsche best fits your needs and wants. Look carefully at specifications and options.

GL / / / / /

Old 09-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Former Vendor
Harris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Edward Kazuki Yip
So to use TPC turbo kit (assuming its worth it for the power gain) I would need the front bumper off the S model.
Instead of purchasing a new bumper you can cut out your existing bumper to mimic the S model. We have seen other 2.7L owners go in that direction. If you do not want to go in that direction, we can use another cooling package for the intercooler.