Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Cayman S is the best Porsche. My opinion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Mlcn50 is on a distinguished road
From the Examiner.com.
The new Cayman S is the best sports car under $100,000. The redesign has elevated it to premier sports car status. It’s larger, weighs roughly the same as before, the new styling looks great and it has the Porsche dual-clutch transmission along with a detuned 325 horsepower boxer- 6 engine.

The same engine makes 25 more horsepower in the 911. One has to wonder if the difference is from software tuning rather than actual physical differences. It isn’t crazy fast, it isn’t wow fast, but it is fun fast. Car & Driver just tested one to 60mph at 4.1 seconds and a 12.6 second quarter mile at 112mph. This is an entirely different car than what I reviewed in 2009.

But it isn’t about bragging rights unless you want to compare lap times to horsepower ratios. What it is about is a pure driving experience. The steering is perfect in weight, response and felt good during a limited test drive. The ride is firm but not harsh and suitable for any type of road. Of course, the more curves the better. It’s actually quieter inside than a 997.1 twin turbo. In fact, the owner of the 911TT I reviewed traded it in for the Cayman S, stating it’s the most fun Porsche he’s ever driven.

The 7speed dual-clutch transmission (Porsche PDK) induces giggles in several ways. First in automatic mode the downshifts are immediate and accompanied by a loud and laughter inducing bark. The upshifts are flawless and fast. In Sport-plus mode, the downshifts occur automatically and it won’t shift higher than 6th. It is so fun, and works so well, you want to use it all the time like superb mechanical toy.

There is controversy about dual-clutch transmissions. Especially now that they are replacing manuals, for example the new Porsche GT3 only comes with a PDK. A manual may be more involving, but the problem is commitment, obligation and ratios. You commit yourself to shifting, always, with no exceptions. You obligate yourself to shift as long as you own the car. And finally, not every curve or turn on the street or track is ideal for the gear ratios. A mid-turn shift may be called for and the PDK allows for a seamless shift no matter what the circumstance. Do you want to shift, or do you want to win? And play with a toy!

Interior design is typical new Porsche modern, with informative readouts, sub-screens and exemplary fit and finish. Instead of a small cubicle where a phone would protrude, the owner filled it in and crafted a customized mounting area with an integrated charger. It now lays flat, charges and doesn't interfere with the drivers arm when resting on the armrest.

The major options on this tested model is the PDK transmission, 20” Carrera S wheels, Sport Chrono Package, 14 way Power Sport Seats with the Premium Package and the Infotainment Package with BOSE Surround Sound. With a few other options the sticker price was $81,125. Interestingly, the owners favorite features mirrors the option list. The PDK with the paddle shifters, the seamless integration of the hands free phone and communication system and the 40gig music jukebox are his favorites along with the driver selectable engine and transmission modes mentioned earlier. Also enjoyed is the easy access to either trunk.

The least favorite feature is the Auto Start Stop Feature which has a little bit of shake and noise at start-up, stating it gets annoying with two quick stops in a short distance such as stop-n-go driving. The previously reviewed Cayenne Hybrid is much smoother because the electric motor starts the vehicle from a stop.

Innovative packaging is necessary with the mid-engine layout. A very usable rear hatch area is enabled by the low mounted boxer engine. The oil and coolant fill ports have caps in the back that are pictured in the slideshow.
Very few , if any 12 second quarter mile cars are efficient enough to be rated at 30 mpg highway, and this one happens to be a balanced with a mid-engine layout, high tech features, light in weight and luxurious. Taking all these variables into account, this may be the best all-around sports car on the market.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:38 AM
JunkoForonda is on a distinguished road
I completely agree with you on this..it is the best in class car available at such an amazing pricing.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:11 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JunkoForonda
I completely agree with you on this..it is the best in class car available at such an amazing pricing.
If it was $65K loaded, I would agree with you on this. Best in it's class at an amazing price right now goes to the new Corvette.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Mlcn50 is on a distinguished road
I'll have to drive it first(new vette). Last one lacked refinement in my opinion. It was like sending Hulk Hogan to assassinate a enemy, when you really needed James Bond.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:48 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ynot
If it was $65K loaded, I would agree with you on this. Best in it's class at an amazing price right now goes to the new Corvette.
Agreed. If the Cayman came standard with all of those cost options at it's current MSRP, it would be an amazing value.

Why not just seek out the most popular packages and make them standard? Because there is more money to be made on the options than the actual car itself.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mlcn50
I'll have to drive it first(new vette). Last one lacked refinement in my opinion. It was like sending Hulk Hogan to assassinate a enemy, when you really needed James Bond.
I had thought about getting the last generation vette but after spending some time in the cabin. I couldn't find myself owning one. It looks really cheap with all that plastic in there. Felt like it wasn't put together well, creaks and rattles everywhere.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:36 AM
MattTheCarNut is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Yesterday I drove the 2014 Porsche Cayman, Cayman S, and the 2013 Porsche 911 4s, and the 911s. It was a Porsche event at the New Jersey motorsports park in Millville, NJ. We drove the cars at a quick pace around the track. In my opinion the Cayman S was the best car. Although, it could use about 50 more hp and about 40 more lbs of torque. The Cayman felt more balanced. The 911's weight on the back end was clearly noticeable. I drive the 2013 Boxster with a 6 speed as my daily driver. I have 20,000 miles on it since last September. I still enjoy it daily. I traded a 2010 911 in for the Boxster. The 911s is just not worth $120,000+ in my humble opinion. My next Porsche will be the Cayman. If the rumors are true that Porsche is working on a Cayman GT3. That will seal the deal for me.
Agreed!

Old 10-26-2013, 03:31 PM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
Article in Edmunds.

3. Better Weight Distribution
Unlike in the 911, Porsche placed the Cayman's engine in the correct location. In the middle. Just like a Formula 1 car. With a 46/54 front/rear weight distribution, the Cayman is, at least in theory, a superior sports car platform.

Not that there aren't benefits to the 911's rear-biased 39/61 setup. Bulldozerlike straight-line traction, for one thing, which gives the 911 unreal wheelspin-free acceleration.

But the Cayman's midengine setup endows it with a low polar moment of inertia because the majority of the car's weight is closer to its center. In non-jargonspeak, it means the Cayman reacts more quickly to driver inputs, and it's more maneuverable and more nimble.

Many Cayman buyers got a Cayman not because they wanted a Porsche. But because they wanted a Cayman. The Cayman says I bought a Porsche for performance. The 911 says I bought a Porsche for the women.
Cayman could also say I bought a cayman because I can't afford the 911

Old 12-13-2013, 05:06 PM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Old 12-13-2013, 05:07 PM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Old 12-17-2013, 05:58 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Here is what Car and Driver has to say...the Porsches (Cayman and Boxster) are the winners among the winners.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-cayman-page-7

Last edited by Leslierc; 12-17-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:17 PM
PurpleIV is on a distinguished road
I own cayman 2009 and I test drive the new Cayman S 2013, After I finish the sales man asked me what do u think ? I paused for a moment and I told him It's nice but It feels like a Panamera, A small Panamera.. I could use it everyday but I would probably get bored because of the bigger Interior and chasis I didn't feel It was right for a sport car however PDK and shifting Is smoother than 987.2

Old 04-28-2014, 07:14 PM
evil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to behold
i just bought a '14 CS last month. it's joining a 997.1 GT3 in the garage. i need a lot more seat time in the Cayman, but it is a monster in the handling department. it can do everything the GT3 on the street - at least everything that's not idiotic - with less fuss and more comfort. it does not, however, have the blistering acceleration and roar of the GT3

Old 04-29-2014, 03:52 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by PurpleIV
I own cayman 2009 and I test drive the new Cayman S 2013, After I finish the sales man asked me what do u think ? I paused for a moment and I told him It's nice but It feels like a Panamera, A small Panamera.. I could use it everyday but I would probably get bored because of the bigger Interior and chasis I didn't feel It was right for a sport car however PDK and shifting Is smoother than 987.2
I really don't understand that comparison. I owned a Panamera 4S and a 981 Boxster S at the same time and the "feel" of the cars was worlds apart. I love the Panamera (still own it), but the 981 is an extraordinary car...quick as hell, agile, and perfectly balanced. It's cool that you're still enjoying your `09 Cayman, but it sounds a little ridiculous to suggest that it performs better than the 981 S.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:10 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I took a 2014 Cayman S out for a test drive and was impressed. I even placed an order for a GTS. However, when my current GT3 became available I went for it. I'm convinced the Cayman GTS would be a better all around car. I just had to scratch a long standing itch.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2014 Cayman S is the best Porsche. My opinion