6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Boxster / Cayman (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/boxster-cayman-16/)
-   -   Cayman - A marketing Success Story (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/boxster-cayman/39739-cayman-marketing-success-story.html)

Dave 01-03-2006 04:27 PM

Cayman - A marketing Success Story

I think it is amazing that Porsche was able to design and produce a hardtop variant of the Boxster, slide a few more ponies under the hood, and then slot it above the Boxster S for thousands of dollars more!

Am I the only one here that remembers this as being touted a Boxster with a hardtop? Wasn't it also supposed to be a cheaper version of the Boxster for the masses? Is that marketing genius or what?!

I must admit that I haven't driven or seen one up close. So no hate mail, please, from those of you who either own one or have spent thousands above MSRP for the privelege to buy one.

Could you imagine if the 997 Cabrio was less expensive than the hardtop? Nevermind that the hardtop Carrera S is stiffer ala Cayman vs. Boxster. Again....marketing genius.

shiggins 01-03-2006 05:37 PM

And if it was only a boxster with a roof, I would agree with you.

Jeremy 01-03-2006 05:53 PM

Go look at one, that's all I am going to say

Dave 01-03-2006 06:30 PM

Again, I haven't seen one or driven one. I've read all of the rags about how stiff and awesome the car is....but is it really THAT different from the Boxster or the 997 above it??

Do either of you own one? Have you owned a 996 or a Boxster and driven a Cayman? Anyone out there done a comparison? Aside from torsional rigidity, is the engine special like the GT3 motor? Are the suspension pieces beefier? Is there more carbon fiber in there somewhere? Aside from the sweet lines and the much-talked-about rear haunches, what makes this car so much better?

djantlive 01-03-2006 06:32 PM

In this case, HP won. If Cayman had the same Boxster engine, it would be a hard sell. Since it has the old 911 engine, many think it's a bargain. That is a really smart move.

I predict the Cayman would sell well since the Z4 coupe is coming out in 06 also. This could start another wave of performance coupes.

I still think Boxster S is the best deal out there. With over 5-7k off MSRP, I think it's an incredible value.

Dave 01-03-2006 06:52 PM

dj,
I'd agree if it were more than a 15 hp difference. I did go to the P-car website to see if the Cayman had a significantly better hp to weight ratio, but the Boxster S and the Cayman weigh exactly the same. 0 - 60 is 5.1 for the Cayman, 5.2 for the Boxster S.

The P-car website allows you to compare the two cars side by side. I tried to overlay the two pictures on a picture editor but couldn't do it. But if someone can, give it a whirl. They are eerily similar from the side, albeit one has a top and one doesn't .

Just so I'm clear, I have nothing against the Cayman or owners of these cars. I do believe that they are going to make awesome track cars. (Yes, I track my cars.) I have two P-cars on either end of the spectrum and I love them both for what they bring to the table. The Turbo is a monster, the Boxster S, a sportscar.

I will make a promise to go and drive the Cayman maybe as early as tomorrow if one is available at Ray Catena in Edison. Are they even here yet?

Until I finally drive one, I'll try to refrain from any more comments, ie. I'll keep my trap shut.

Ahhh....Ben would be proud of me.

20C4S 01-03-2006 07:08 PM

they're not marketing genius. we're just suckers.

Marx 01-03-2006 08:36 PM

Dave, I totally agree to your point of view. To me it's "only" the extra horsepower that make the Cayman such a great racer. Everything else is just marketing blabla.

It is also obvious that the Cayman is cheaper to produce than the Boxster (convertibles with a soft-top and all the required complicated mechanics are ALWAYS more expensive and difficult to produce than a two-door coupe). The Cayman REALLY IS a marketing masterpiece. And yea... I actually do remember the time when the "Boxster Coupe" was meant to be a low-priced alternative to the standard Boxster.

And being a 996 TT and 987 owner, there's absolutely no reason for me to get a Cayman. ;)

Dave 01-04-2006 07:35 AM

Marx,
Wielen dank! It is nice to get the perspective from our brothers in Deutschland.

I spent 9 of my earlier years in Herzogenaurach, near Erlangen.

Dave

MIB 01-07-2006 04:39 AM

Originally posted by Marx
And being a 996 TT and 987 owner, there's absolutely no reason for me to get a Cayman. ;)
Well I can think of 1 reason.

The Cayman should be able to take a passenger and two sets of Golf Clubs.

Thats enough reason right there. The Boxster or 911 can't do that. hilarious

MJ

Dave 01-07-2006 11:57 AM

MIB,
Actually, when the harness bar is not in, I can fit a couple of sets of clubs in the turbo with the rear seats down....

But, wouldn't it be a shame to carry all those clubs to the track?? They make you take them out anyway. :)

MIB 01-08-2006 03:04 AM

Originally posted by Dave
MIB,
Actually, when the harness bar is not in, I can fit a couple of sets of clubs in the turbo with the rear seats down....

But, wouldn't it be a shame to carry all those clubs to the track?? They make you take them out anyway. :)

Hold the phones Batman,

Are you telling me a TT can take two Sets of clubs?

Don't mess with my head now......I have to know.

The dick at the Porsche stealer said No clubs unless you want them in the FRONT seat.

I haven't seen a 911 with fold down seats. Not that I ever sat in the back or even took notice of the back seats. I'm usually too busy hanging on. LOL

This is big news.

So what about a 997 Carrera S ? Fold down seats and Two sets of clubs and a Buddy ?

If this is possible, I'm going into Porsche to Slap the pi$$ out of the salesman. LOL

MJ

Dave 01-08-2006 08:24 AM

MIB,
One set of clubs is a breeze. Two, a squeeze. But I've done it. And yes, the small backs of the rear seats fold down.

Slap away!!

Dave 01-08-2006 08:26 AM

Oh, I forgot. The 986 can only squeeze one set of clubs in the reat trunk, without the drivers. I have to put them up front.

I'm not sure about the 987??

JP-S-St.Louis 01-08-2006 09:24 AM

Dave,

In my 986 I have fit two sets many times all without the drivers in the bag. To fit the drivers you must put them in the trunk first at the very back end of the trunk.
Josh