Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCP Turbo advice for 987.2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 05:56 AM
rokitmn69 is an unknown quantity at this point
TCP Turbo advice for 987.2

I'm contemplating a TCP Stage 2 turbo for my 2010 Cayman S (PDK). I'd love to hear from someone who actually has this combination and get your advice. The car is a daily driver, and I'm concerned about driveability/dependability. The nearest decent Porsche mechanic is in Houston, about 150 miles away. Thanks in advance for the insight. Randy.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:42 AM
JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !
Google search can be a good friend

Keep us posted what you find.

JB

Old 07-21-2017, 11:33 AM
Grantsfo will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by rokitmn69
I'm contemplating a TCP Stage 2 turbo for my 2010 Cayman S (PDK). I'd love to hear from someone who actually has this combination and get your advice. The car is a daily driver, and I'm concerned about driveability/dependability. The nearest decent Porsche mechanic is in Houston, about 150 miles away. Thanks in advance for the insight. Randy.

9A1 motors take very well to forced induction. Same motor most of factory turbo cars use. Think your safe with Stage 2.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:40 AM
I appreciate the feedback. I was hoping to hear from an owner who actually has the set-up and could relate their experience. When you look at what options exist for increasing power in the car, there's really not much bang for the buck other than the TCP turbo. If the goal is 400+hp, you can, for all practical purposes, forget it. To stay normally aspirated requires a different engine. Yes, that can be done. But by the time you add the additional heat transfer (radiator changes), the price tag for the mods is about $40k. I've got the quote in-hand. Forty large is greater than the car's market value- which is about $33k. Compare that total ($73K) to what you can buy with that much money, and only a fool would make that investment. For about that much money you can own a 2010 911 turbo- 500 hp and 4 wheel drive. I love my Cayman, but be real- it'll never pull like a 911 turbo.

Do you know anyone with the TPC Stage 2 in a 987.2 PDK? If so, I'd really like to hear what they have to say. If the set up is really good, why can't I find someone to sing about it? That's what's eating me.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:57 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
I appreciate the feedback. I was hoping to hear from an owner who actually has the set-up and could relate their experience. When you look at what options exist for increasing power in the car, there's really not much bang for the buck other than the TCP turbo. If the goal is 400+hp, you can, for all practical purposes, forget it. To stay normally aspirated requires a different engine. Yes, that can be done. But by the time you add the additional heat transfer (radiator changes), the price tag for the mods is about $40k. I've got the quote in-hand. Forty large is greater than the car's market value- which is about $33k. Compare that total ($73K) to what you can buy with that much money, and only a fool would make that investment. For about that much money you can own a 2010 911 turbo- 500 hp and 4 wheel drive. I love my Cayman, but be real- it'll never pull like a 911 turbo.

Do you know anyone with the TPC Stage 2 in a 987.2 PDK? If so, I'd really like to hear what they have to say. If the set up is really good, why can't I find someone to sing about it? That's what's eating me.
There are other sites that have Boxster/Cayman sections. You might need to visit them and post or search for posts from someone who's done the mod you are considering.

It is a rather expensive modification. If one seeks big HP gains it is sometimes better to sell the car and put the money from the sale of the car plus what the mod's to the car would have cost towards a faster/more powerful car.

Adding a TPC setup is like putting a bigger engine in the car. I don't know off hand the stock power output of your car and then what the TPC adds to this but I have a 2003 Turbo. The 3.6l engine produces 420hp. By way of comparison my 2006 Pontiac GTO engine, a 6.0l engine, produced 400hp.

So the Cayman cooling system with the TPC system installed will have to deal with the heat load comparable to having a larger engine present. Larger in the sense the engine will have the output comparable to a larger engine and thus generate the heat load of a larger engine.

Based on my experience over the years I'd believe the stock Cayman cooling system has the margin to deal with the extra heat but making sure the system is in tip top shape at all times becames even more critical than it would be with the "just" the stock engine.

For a DD you'll need to stay on top of consumables, like oil, plugs, coils, etc. A turbo-charged engine is just going to be harder on these items. With my Turbo I change the oil every 5K miles and run Mobil 1 5w-50 oil (not a typo for 15w-50!). I can run a "5w" oil because it doesn't get that cold where I live and drive.

Have to mention that in spite of the turbo charged engine the Turbo runs cooler than my 2002 Boxster engine. The Turbo comes from the factory with very effective/efficient aerodynamics which really route the air through the 3 radiators. Even in high ambient temperature the radiator fans run infrequently compared to the Boxster in the same high temperature.

Might mention my Turbo has a 2nd engine compartment fan fuse which when installed has the engine compartment fan running all the time the engine is on. I installed this fuse and this helps keep the engine compartment temperature down. The turbos and all the exhaust really generate a lot of engine compartment heat so removing this heat is a plus.

Also, the Turbo requires more frequent plug changes and O2 sensor and coil changes.

A turbo-charged engine consumes more fuel and air so if the Cayman has a servicable fuel filter (my Boxster doesn't but my Turbo does) it will need more frequent changing. And the engine air filter needs more frequent replacement too.

Both of my cars are equipped with manual transmissions but in your Cayman the PDK will run hotter so you need to consider more frequent fluid service for the PDK.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:22 PM
Macster, thanks for the thoughtful reply. I appreciate the time you took to relate your experience and insight. I can tell you've been around the block for more than one lap.

You've hit the nail on the head- "it is sometimes better to sell the car and put the money from the sale of the car plus what the mod's to the car would have cost towards a faster/more powerful car." At this moment, that's where I'm at.

If the TPC Stage 2 was a hands-down winner, I'd make that investment in a heartbeat. But I can't find a soul who'll step up and say they own it and it's great. But I can find published stories involving the Cayman turbo installs followed by turbo failure, smoking engine exhaust, erratic idle speeds, and lack of reliable repair support. Scares me. I'm reluctant to take a dependable, fun car and turn it into a bad dream.

The bad stories are mostly a couple of years old. I was hoping the bugs were worked from the system and there were some good reports now. I'm just not finding any.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:13 AM
MagicRat has a spectacular aura aboutMagicRat has a spectacular aura about
I'm with you. Was thinking about this a while ago but couldn't find anything positive said so decided to leave it.

The good news is if one wants a turbocharged, readily tunable Cayman one can now buy one from Porsche!

Old 07-24-2017, 06:42 AM
Yea, the good news/bad news. Good news you can get a turbo 4 cyl. The bad news is I love the car I have and am reluctant to shell out the $40k+ to get the turbo 4 (my car trade in plus the difference). I'd pay $40k more in and INSTANT if it was a full-throated turbo 6 cyl. Even a 3.4l would scream.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:29 PM
MagicRat has a spectacular aura aboutMagicRat has a spectacular aura about
I hear you friend. Wait a while and get a used 991.2 Carrera? Would indeed be so great if TPC kit could add 100hp to an NA Cayman without risk, but fear it may come under 'If it sounds too good to be true...'

Old 07-25-2017, 06:33 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Yea, the good news/bad news. Good news you can get a turbo 4 cyl. The bad news is I love the car I have and am reluctant to shell out the $40k+ to get the turbo 4 (my car trade in plus the difference). I'd pay $40k more in and INSTANT if it was a full-throated turbo 6 cyl. Even a 3.4l would scream.
You love the car you have yet you want to put a TPC super/turbo charger on it?

A 2010 Cayman S isn't a dog of a car as it comes from the factory. My 2008 Cayman S had some real get up and go. Heck, even my lowly 2.7l Boxster is pretty quick considering the engine size. (Light weight helps.)

For what you'd spend on a TPC kit you can keep your Cayman in consumables for a long time. For me a good car never gets old. Even after 15+ years and 313K+ miles with my Boxster I still love the car and look forward to driving it.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:08 AM
Over 300k miles- wonderful service from your 2008 machine. You've certainly got your money's worth. And you speak the truth when you say my 2010 S isn't a dog. I just need more, that's all. In the crowd I run with, 320 hp is weak. I've decided against the TPC turbo. I'll stick with the Cayman, stock, just as it is. A new car, with more muscle from the factory, will be the road I travel. Thanks to all who weighed in on the subject.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.