Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does Launch Control work ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 08:46 AM
syswizard is an unknown quantity at this point
How does Launch Control work ?

Although I do not have the sports chrono package, I've been told I could purchase a cobb engineering map to provide this feature.
As far as operation, I am guessing one puts their foot on the brake and once at a certain RPM, the PDK clutch disengages and then once revved to a certain high RPM the clutch engages.
Am I close ?
Note: when I called my local Cobb dealer about this, they expressed concerns about damaging the PDK.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:35 PM
jg_atl is on a distinguished road
Hey Wiz, I have no idea how well a third party launch control would work. Cobb does a good job and has a good reputation, so I might trust them more than some other fly by night outfit. I have done some demonstration laps and autocrosses hosted by Porsche as marketing events, and in every case they have forbidden me from using launch control. That makes me think that perhaps there is a finite number of launches available on the clutch for the odd number gears in the PDK.

My understanding that to use launch control you put the drive mode in sport plus (not sure if you have to turn off TC or not), foot on the brake, and accelerator all the way to the floor. Launch control will manage the revs throughout the launch. When you are ready to go, simply let off the brake.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:01 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by syswizard
Note: when I called my local Cobb dealer about this, they expressed concerns about damaging the PDK.
I can only imagine. I had PDK in my 2009 Carrera S, my 2011 Boxster Spyder, and 2014 Cayman S. Every time I ever went in for service the tech always asked if I was having any issues with PDK. I never did, but they were basically expecting me to. Also, I shifted manually 100% of the time. I also had SC in all the cars, but never used launch control. I'm not one to abuse cars I own.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:48 PM
Steve, JG....thanks for the responses.
Interestingly when you go to make a warranty claim on a PDK transmission, PNA takes the position that "this transmission cannot be broken".
They scrutinize any PDK claim very closely. Been there, done that.
Luckily for me, the problem was in the CV joints, not the transmission.

However, it looks like Launch Control is the achillie's tendon for the PDK....LOL.
I think its a cool feature...especially since I want to be ahead of a vette for at least the first 5 seconds.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:50 AM
I finally figured this out:
Cobb Engineering has renamed "Launch Control" as "Race Start".....which is more appropriate IMHO.

Here are the details for the Cobb Sport PDK MAP:
This adds Race Start to Porsche Normal and Sport drive modes for all cars (including vehicles that do not have Sport Chrono). In COBB Sport, COBB Aggressive, and COBB High Torque Aggressive maps Race Start Lite is set at 4500RPM in Normal and Sport drive modes. Race Start in Sport Plus remains at the factory 5500RPM.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:06 AM
I am attempting to contact PNA over this matter of the potential compromise of the PDK if this mode is used very often.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:21 AM
So here is the official word from PCNA regarding LED bulbs and Launch Control effect on the PDK:
To address your first inquiry (LED head lights), PCNA recommends only the use of parts supplied by PCNA. Regretfully we are unable to advise compatibility of after market parts.

For your second inquiry (PDK damage from Launch Control / Race Start), it is okay to use launch control, but not over and over again repeatedly in a short period of time. We would not recommend rev'ing the vehicle up in neutral and then slamming it into gear.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:37 PM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !
Race Start comes standard on our PDK OTS maps and is similar logic carried over from Sport Chrono cars, so it's the same procedure to activate it. Quite a fun feature to add on for cars not equipped with it already
We've run this in a number of PDK equipped cars and they are still doing just fine out there. Hope that helps!

-Charles

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM BAILEY | JARED BRONSON | GRANT EPHROSS | ANDREW SCHWARZKOPF | HJ LEE

COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE | CONTACT US

Old 11-16-2017, 10:20 AM
Thanks Cobb.....and now I wonder:
Is the PDK on a 911 different than on a 981 model ?
After seeing this abuse, I wonder if PCNA is just being conservative ?
Will the 981 eventually go into "Limp mode" as suggested by this author ?

Old 12-05-2017, 08:38 AM
Well, I finally was able to get answers to all of the issues related to PDK MAPs for the 981 Base Boxster straight from Cobb tech support. Note: My local Fabspeed dealer was unable to answer the real detailed technical issues......

1) It is possible to change the Race Start RPM trigger level....but Cobb has not done it. Currently, for the Sport map, it's set at 5700 rpm. This is a future enhancement.

2) It is possible to program the PDK to switch from automatic to manual after reaching a certain RPM (7000, 7500, etc). However, the current Sport map does not have that feature. This is a future enhancement. The goal would be to have the MAP switch to manual after the threshold RPM has been reached....likely in 2nd gear.

3) It is possible to program the PDK to retain the current stock RPM shift points when in Normal mode vs. Sport mode. Unfortunately, the current Cobb's Sport map changes the Normal-mode RPM shift points which compromises gas mileage in that mode...which really sucks. The ability to retain the current stock shift points for the Sport map in Normal mode is a future enhancement.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:06 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
For the PDK cars I owned, the only thing I would want which Porsche did not provide is a way to turn off the throttle kick down feature. Short shifting is one real advantage to PDK, but if only you can maintain the gear changing decisions. I don't need the gearbox trying to think for me.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Steve997S
Short shifting is one real advantage to PDK, but if only you can maintain the gear changing decisions. I don't need the gearbox trying to think for me.
Exactly, Steve....which is why I want Race Start mode to put the PDK in manual after 2nd gear at 7000 rpm.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:00 PM
I was referring to when in manual, you are mid corner and you want to maintain your foot on the gas, but you need to shift to a higher gear so you don't run wide. By short shifting (shifting with lots of rpms remaining in gear), you stay on power and so you get a better launch out of the corner. With the kick down feature, the gearbox may shift to a lower gear completely nullifying your effort. Plus, I always hated kickdown anyway. I may be happy to accelerate in a higher gear without it kicking down 2 gears automatically. While kickdown is quicker, it's not always suited to what you're wishing to do.

Last edited by Steve997S; 12-05-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:29 AM
I see your point Steve, but I was referring to a street light take-off which doesn't involve corners....only WOT.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by syswizard
I see your point Steve, but I was referring to a street light take-off which doesn't involve corners....only WOT.
My reference is also to WOT, but not at redline. Reason I brought this up is it's an additional thing I would want fixed with new software. Automatic kickdown to lower gears is annoying as hell. But ultimately I have no plans to own another PDK car unless it would be a daily driven Panamera or other.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.