6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Boxster / Cayman (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/boxster-cayman-16/)
-   -   2019 Boxster GTS ordered, no delivery until December (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/boxster-cayman/423161-2019-boxster-gts-ordered-no-delivery-until-december.html)

crossmar 08-05-2018 06:11 AM

2019 Boxster GTS ordered, no delivery until December

Hello Everyone! My name is Mark and I'm happy to get to know you all. I'm very excited to have placed a custom order for my first Porsche and 1st car over $100k in general. I'm a little disappointed in the long lead time for the car, but it does have every option that I've ever wanted in a car and I can't sleep at night thinking about it. Any feedback is appreciated on the build (or how to deal with the delivery anxiety). Also, I'm going to add laser jammers to the front and back of the car, any advice as to location or caveats in doing this would be appreciated as well. Would also appreciate some suggestions on automotive camera systems that can record full-time, preferably from all angles of the car.

2019 Boxster GTS

Ordered: 7/25/2018, Delivery by: 12/7/2018 UPDATED DELIVERY DAY: 11/17/2018
Base Price $82,800
Price for Equipment $33,720
Total Price $116,520

Exterior
Carmine Red
Roadster Top in Black

Interior
Instrument Dials in White
Seat Belts in Bordeaux Red
Porsche Crest on Headrests
Leather Interior in Black with Deviated Seat Centers in Bordeaux Red
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
Lane Change Assist (LCA)
Steering Wheel in Leather
Heated Multifunction Steering Wheel
Deletion of Alcantara®
Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package
Seat Heating
Seat Ventilation
Interior Trim in Carbon Fiber i.c.w. Leather Interior
Door Sill Guards in Stainless Steel, Illuminated

Packages
Premium Package Plus
Porsche Entry & Drive
Automatically Dimming Mirrors with Integrated Rain Sensor
Light Design Package
2-Zone Automatic Climate Control

Exterior
"718 Boxster GTS" Logo Changed to "718"
Deletion of "GTS" Decal on Doors
LED Headlights with Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus
Power Folding Exterior Mirrors
Door Handles in High Gloss Black
Porsche logo in Satin Black

Performance
7-speed Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
Power Steering Plus

Wheels
20" Carrera S Wheels (Black)

Audio and Communications
Burmester® High-End Surround Sound System
Apple CarPlay™
Navigation including Porsche Connect
Voice Control i.c.w. Navigation including Porsche Connect
Smartphone Compartment

jg_atl 08-06-2018 10:04 AM

Do you have a confirmed build slot for your car? I ordered by 2016 GTS in May 2015. When July came around and there was no committed build date, I had to beat on the dealership to get a firm build date. The dealership had to swap a 911 GTS slot for my Boxster GTS slot with another dealer. The car was built in October 2015 and delivered to me in November. From my experience, your dates are in line, but you need to push to get a firm build slot.

As far as you configuration, much of it is really to your taste. Yours if fairly similar to mine except that I did not go with the carbon fiber or deviated leather. The Burmeister might be a bit much for a rag top, but my ears are shot from being around race cars for 40 years.

crossmar 08-06-2018 02:10 PM

Hey jg_atl, I assume you're in Atlanta? Me too....Jim Ellis is where I ordered the car....and I guess I have a build slot as they've taken the $5k deposit and confirmed a freeze date in the middle of September and a delivery date in December. The new car manager called around to see if they could get a better delivery but even though some dealers would trade their slots, the delivery date was going to be the same (they speculate because of the deviated leather).

Sounds like you had a reasonably good experience with your order. I just wish they wouldn't take so long to build the damn thing. In essence I gave the dealer a $5k interest free loan that is non refundable under the best of circumstances, effectively keeping me in perpetuity should I become unhappy and try to go somewhere else. Besides that little caveat, I've enjoyed dealing with the guys there. Where did you buy yours if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for the feedback on the build...I was watching several of Nick Murray's YouTube videos concerning the factory stereo being terrible, the Bose system just okay and the Burmester as minimally acceptable. As I'm a huge music fan, and didn't want anyone digging around the dash and putting in third party stuff, I did the best I could do and way overspent on the stereo. I'm hoping it will at least give me some enjoyment in the high-fidelity range.

Have you enjoyed your GTS? I wish I had gotten in on the flat 6 myself...the sound is just unbeatable...but alas, they've done wonders with the four and I'll live with it.

jg_atl 08-06-2018 03:20 PM

I was in ATL. Have now moved to Western NC. Better roads and less traffic! :)

I did my deal with Hennessy. I had to threaten them with cancelling the order in July because I did not have a build slot after 2 months. Told them I could get a Z06 with 2X HP for same money. That is when GM got involved. I think I only gave them $2K for the order deposit, but I could be wrong - have killed lots of brain cells since then. All in all, it was a very good experience and I would go back to them.

The GTS has been awesome. I would have loved to have done a Spyder, but I wanted a real roof that was motorized. My build is pretty analog with a 6 speed and X73 sport suspension (which they do not offer on the 718’s). And the 6 banger, of course. That was my motivation to getting the order in for a 2016 - to get in on the last of the flat 6’s in the Boxster. BTW, I prefer the symphony in Flat 6 to anything on the stereo!

Your build time isn’t much longer than mine was. However I suspect that you are right that the deviated leather is adding some time. PTS would probably do much the same thing. When they get going on the build, it is fun to get the progress reports and then following the ship from Emden to Jacksonville (mine probably had 8 stops on the way). It just makes it that much better when the car arrives.

crossmar 08-06-2018 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by jg_atl (Post 4731610)
I was in ATL. Have now moved to Western NC. Better roads and less traffic! :)

I did my deal with Hennessy. I had to threaten them with cancelling the order in July because I did not have a build slot after 2 months. Told them I could get a Z06 with 2X HP for same money. That is when GM got involved. I think I only gave them $2K for the order deposit, but I could be wrong - have killed lots of brain cells since then. All in all, it was a very good experience and I would go back to them.

The GTS has been awesome. I would have loved to have done a Spyder, but I wanted a real roof that was motorized. My build is pretty analog with a 6 speed and X73 sport suspension (which they do not offer on the 718’s). And the 6 banger, of course. That was my motivation to getting the order in for a 2016 - to get in on the last of the flat 6’s in the Boxster. BTW, I prefer the symphony in Flat 6 to anything on the stereo!

Your build time isn’t much longer than mine was. However I suspect that you are right that the deviated leather is adding some time. PTS would probably do much the same thing. When they get going on the build, it is fun to get the progress reports and then following the ship from Emden to Jacksonville (mine probably had 8 stops on the way). It just makes it that much better when the car arrives.

Amen to the 'symphony' of the flat 6. Glad you're enjoying the roads in NC my friend. I moved to Richmond, VA for awhile and loved the lack of traffic there...really great driving roads too. I took a look at the pics you have posted. Really beautiful car...love the brown...which seems to be a very unusual color choice.

Macster 08-06-2018 05:16 PM

Regarding the carbon fiber my info is the interior carbon fiber pieces do not age well. The same applies to wood interior pieces, which was a real downer as I was at the time considering a very nice used 911 with beautiful wood interior trim.

"Would also appreciate some suggestions on automotive camera systems that can record full-time, preferably from all angles of the car."

Check out ThinkWare's F800 or F800 Pro. I have two F800's one for my Hellcat the other for my JCW. I didn't get the rear view camera set up but with both front and rear cameras you get pretty good coverage of the car vicinity. If connected to a power line that is live when the car is otherwise powered down the camera offers a park mode in which it operates in low power mode but can switch to a more active mode when triggered. Also, you can set the (car) battery power level at which the camera shuts off to preserve car battery power.

jg_atl 08-06-2018 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by crossmar (Post 4731620)
Amen to the 'symphony' of the flat 6. Glad you're enjoying the roads in NC my friend. I moved to Richmond, VA for awhile and loved the lack of traffic there...really great driving roads too. I took a look at the pics you have posted. Really beautiful car...love the brown...which seems to be a very unusual color choice.

Thanks. The car is triple brown - Mahogany Metallic, Expresso Natural Leather, and brown top. It is a very rich brown, and a quite unusual color. The car does get lots of positive comments.

BTW, the only thing that I have had second thoughts about is wheel color - that maybe I should have done something other than silver for the wheels. You may want to think about that too........

crossmar 08-06-2018 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Macster (Post 4731627)
Regarding the carbon fiber my info is the interior carbon fiber pieces do not age well. The same applies to wood interior pieces, which was a real downer as I was at the time considering a very nice used 911 with beautiful wood interior trim.

"Would also appreciate some suggestions on automotive camera systems that can record full-time, preferably from all angles of the car."

Check out ThinkWare's F800 or F800 Pro. I have two F800's one for my Hellcat the other for my JCW. I didn't get the rear view camera set up but with both front and rear cameras you get pretty good coverage of the car vicinity. If connected to a power line that is live when the car is otherwise powered down the camera offers a park mode in which it operates in low power mode but can switch to a more active mode when triggered. Also, you can set the (car) battery power level at which the camera shuts off to preserve car battery power.

Hi Macster...thanks for the feedback on the carbon fiber...I'm actually not a huge carbon fiber fan, but I really dislike the aluminum so I was limited in choice unfortunately. We'll see how it holds up over time. Thanks for the recommendation on the camera system.

crossmar 08-06-2018 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by jg_atl (Post 4731642)
Thanks. The car is triple brown - Mahogany Metallic, Expresso Natural Leather, and brown top. It is a very rich brown, and a quite unusual color. The car does get lots of positive comments.

BTW, the only thing that I have had second thoughts about is wheel color - that maybe I should have done something other than silver for the wheels. You may want to think about that too........

Really is a nice color combination...I bet you get a lot of comments. Actually the new 2019 GTS comes with black wheels stock, which I stuck with. :)

crossmar 08-10-2018 10:47 PM

I couldn't stop thinking about it. I changed to the Carmine Red...budget/retirement be damned!

jg_atl 08-11-2018 06:08 AM

OK, for what? Exterior was already Carmine Red. Is this for the deviated leather in the seats?

crossmar 08-11-2018 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by jg_atl (Post 4732501)
OK, for what? Exterior was already Carmine Red. Is this for the deviated leather in the seats?

Nah, the exterior color was originally Guard Red...I updated the description because I'm type A...lol. :) The Carmine Red is a $2600 option which is why I was on the fence about it before. No doubt the color is better, but I was dreading adding another almost 3k to the build. After careful consideration, I'm very glad that I did...the color is amaze-balls.

crossmar 08-11-2018 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Macster (Post 4731627)

Hey Macster! Thanks for the camera recommendation. I checked it out on YouTube and it looks pretty good...not too bad on the price either. Seems like they just had a 4k system come out as well. I'm considering two others I saw on YouTube as well, in the video below. One of the cams (I believe the Blackvue) has a buffering function that when the car is turned off, it is able to actually record several seconds BEFORE impact to the car and after impact. This seems very useful, otherwise, even if the camera starts recording AFTER the impact, all you see is the car/person driving away, not the actual impact, which is concernable since a large part of the reason I'm putting cameras in is because I live in Atlanta where people like to ding car doors.

davidm17 11-01-2018 10:42 AM

Congrats! I would have gone for a different color, but all that matters is that you like it. :)

jg_atl 11-01-2018 12:21 PM

Are you getting any feedback on your build yet? Now is about the time when you can start seeing reports that the parts have been received and it is getting ready to start assembly. If the car is delivered in December, it should get built sometime in November.