6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Boxster / Cayman (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/boxster-cayman-16/)
-   -   Just got stiffed selling my Boxster? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/boxster-cayman/427989-just-got-stiffed-selling-my-boxster.html)

996garage 01-15-2019 04:12 PM

Just got stiffed selling my Boxster?

So I just sold my used Boxster this morning, and the buyer paid with a stack of $20 bills. While the buyer counted out the huge stack containing hundreds of $20 bills, I got a little distracted while his girlfriend was talking, and it was a windy and rainy out trying to handle all the cash. The couple seemed very nice, but as soon as I walked back inside my office to recount the cash, I realized he only gave me $6160, not $6660 as we had agreed on. I went back out, but they had already left. I've texted and called his cell phone multiple times, but no reply at all. Does anyone know if I have any recourse? Or do I just chalk it up to being stupidly too trusting of a seller?

(fyi - this is not a flame thread, as it is not about any forum member, nor will I reveal any names. I just would like to know of any options I have. Thank you)

JB Lifeguard 01-16-2019 02:00 PM

so sorry to hear that. i will remember your story when i get to sell mine

JB in NJ

Macster 01-16-2019 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by 996garage (Post 4760603)
So I just sold my used Boxster this morning, and the buyer paid with a stack of $20 bills. While the buyer counted out the huge stack containing hundreds of $20 bills, I got a little distracted while his girlfriend was talking, and it was a windy and rainy out trying to handle all the cash. The couple seemed very nice, but as soon as I walked back inside my office to recount the cash, I realized he only gave me $6160, not $6660 as we had agreed on. I went back out, but they had already left. I've texted and called his cell phone multiple times, but no reply at all. Does anyone know if I have any recourse? Or do I just chalk it up to being stupidly too trusting of a seller?

(fyi - this is not a flame thread, as it is not about any forum member, nor will I reveal any names. I just would like to know of any options I have. Thank you)

Could be the short count was a mistake.

Did you leave a voice mail message on the buyer's phone?

If not you should. If you have his address up to you if you want to visit him and talk to him.

Maybe it is my previous years of experience at a rather young age of cutting grass and other yard work and delivering papers and dealing with cash but when money is being counted the 2nd coming couldn't distract me.

In your case it might have been just an oversight on the buyer's part, but you are partially to blame for not being more careful. The rule is count the money twice, sign the title once.

Unless you are successful contacting the buyer or he contacts you and you settle this amicably I think you just have to chalk this up to experience.

Next time maybe you should meet at say your bank and if the transaction goes down you count the money in relative quiet and once you (and the buyer) are satisfied the count is correct then sign the title and hand over the keys and deposit the cash right away. (There's a risk that some of the bills may be counterfeit but if this is the case the buyer would probably balk at meeting at a bank cause he's going to be on CCTV.)

996garage 01-16-2019 04:28 PM

Yeah, it's looks like a lost cause. Over the past 30 hours I've called, left voice messages, and text messaged him around ten times asking him to contact me about the supposed "honest mistake", but not a peep back from him. He was extremely responsive on calls/text prior to the sale.

I know the blame ultimately falls on me, but after selling around 20 used vehicles in my lifetime, I've never had someone ever swindle me on payment. Then again, I've never had someone try to pay me in $20 bills before either!

The buyer mentioned he might drop the sale price that he reports to the DMV to $1500. I guess when I submit the Release of Liability and put the true selling price, maybe the taxman will be able to recover the $500 that he stiffed me on.

jg_atl 01-17-2019 06:10 AM

Hope the 20’s weren’t counterfeit!

Macster 01-18-2019 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by 996garage (Post 4760907)
Yeah, it's looks like a lost cause. Over the past 30 hours I've called, left voice messages, and text messaged him around ten times asking him to contact me about the supposed "honest mistake", but not a peep back from him. He was extremely responsive on calls/text prior to the sale.

I know the blame ultimately falls on me, but after selling around 20 used vehicles in my lifetime, I've never had someone ever swindle me on payment. Then again, I've never had someone try to pay me in $20 bills before either!

The buyer mentioned he might drop the sale price that he reports to the DMV to $1500. I guess when I submit the Release of Liability and put the true selling price, maybe the taxman will be able to recover the $500 that he stiffed me on.

I would not state a false sales price even if he came back with the $500.

Did you give the buyer a receipt -- that he signed -- with the sales price listed? And keep a copy for yourself?

Regardless when you submit the release of liability I'd list what you received even though it was short by $500 from what you expected.

996garage 01-18-2019 06:32 PM

I did write out two copies of a statement agreeing on price for the vehicle in "as is" condition, that we both signed, dated and kept copies of. I was told this is more to protect the buyer, in case the seller tries to say that you stole the vehicle. Not sure if this is true, but I've always done this every time I bought or sold a vehicle.

mto 01-20-2019 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by 996garage (Post 4761363)
I did write out two copies of a statement agreeing on price for the vehicle in "as is" condition, that we both signed, dated and kept copies of. I was told this is more to protect the buyer, in case the seller tries to say that you stole the vehicle. Not sure if this is true, but I've always done this every time I bought or sold a vehicle.

Sorry, but think you are out of luck. IMO, in future never do a cash transaction. Too many potential issues.

As mentioned, either do at a bank to verify the cash is good, or I always do wire transfers. You are lucky the $20’s weren’t fake. You never know with stranglers and even lose friends when it’s only about money.

Zaphodmaine 03-09-2019 02:59 PM

stiffed on a sale

Report the vehicle as stolen: he didn't pay the full price.

RAudi Driver 04-28-2019 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by 996garage (Post 4760603)
I realized he only gave me $6160, not $6660 as we had agreed on.

The price you sold the car is the problem right there. How in the world you agree on a price of $666. It's like he was telling you in advance who is coming to get the car.

Targaone1 05-01-2019 02:03 PM

Sorry to hear. The sad part is you know who the guy is.

cairo94507 05-09-2019 07:10 AM

Very sorry to hear about that. Who comes to buy a car with $20 bills? Fortunately you were only shorted $500,

txhokie4life 07-03-2019 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by cairo94507 (Post 4781248)
Very sorry to hear about that. Who comes to buy a car with $20 bills? Fortunately you were only shorted $500,

At best it comes down to a he said she said argument -- to someone of authority -- how can you prove he was $500 short?

Life's about tuition you just hope you don't have to pay too much --

looks like this lesson cost you $500.

Mike

MotoJB 08-16-2019 12:44 PM

What a ****** nozzle that guy is, if it was intentional...but ALWAYS COUNT YOUR CASH BEFORE YOU FORMALLY HAND OVER THE PRODUCT.

Your fault for not counting yourself.

It sounds as if you're out $500, and he's out of integrity.

With that said, I 'effing hate liars, thieves and cheaters.

cremaley 08-16-2019 12:56 PM

Do you think she purposely tried to distract you?