Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fabspeed exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 04:23 AM
986dream is on a distinguished road
Fabspeed exhaust

Hello,

I'm interesting in this exhaust from Fabspeed for my 986S

Is it connectable to the stock header ?
Do you have other examples of videos/pics (except from the fabspeed.com) ?

I heard from the fabspeed.com video something like "aspiration" from the exhaust after acceleration...?? What do you think ? Is it microphone amplification ?

Thanks for you experience !

Old 05-16-2007, 06:24 AM
Banned
nyboxsterS is on a distinguished road
Yes. Fabspeed is compatible with stock headers

Yes. The Fabspeed exhaust system is connectable with your headers. The system is Ala Carte so that you can buy any or all of the system components. I personally don't believe that you can discern the sound of any exhaust system by listening to a sound file online. You must hear it live in person. See if any of the members in your local Porsche clubs have this system and listen to see if you like it. I have heard that the Fabspeed muffler has a deeper exhaust note but not loud. If you are looking for more HP you will only pickup 10 maybe 15 HP from a less restrictive exhaust system like Fabspeed. Your best option is to buy the headers. That's where you gain the HP. I would do the headers & secondary CAT Bypass pipes and keep your stock muffler if allowable by your local emission laws. If you a loud system I hear GHL is the way to go. You can Have a GHL muffler for sound and the Fabspeed headers and pipes. This is what I plan to do very soon.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by nyboxsterS
Yes. The Fabspeed exhaust system is connectable with your headers. The system is Ala Carte so that you can buy any or all of the system components. I personally don't believe that you can discern the sound of any exhaust system by listening to a sound file online. You must hear it live in person. See if any of the members in your local Porsche clubs have this system and listen to see if you like it. I have heard that the Fabspeed muffler has a deeper exhaust note but not loud. If you are looking for more HP you will only pickup 10 maybe 15 HP from a less restrictive exhaust system like Fabspeed. Your best option is to buy the headers. That's where you gain the HP. I would do the headers & secondary CAT Bypass pipes and keep your stock muffler if allowable by your local emission laws. If you a loud system I hear GHL is the way to go. You can Have a GHL muffler for sound and the Fabspeed headers and pipes. This is what I plan to do very soon.
Thank you so much for your answer which is very clear, i know the best way is to hear it in live but most of the boxsters here are stock...
Concerning the HP, 10 will be enough for me, the sound is what i'm looking for
in priority. I'll try to find GHL muffler and see the difference with fabspeed.
What about FVD ?

Thanks again.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:27 PM
alam is on a distinguished road
Exhaust

I have the exhaust used for 700miles. Paid $900, will sell for $650

Old 05-17-2007, 03:39 PM
Banned
What do you mean by "The exhaust"? What exactly do you have?

Old 05-17-2007, 03:43 PM
alam is on a distinguished road
Exhaust

The picture is the exhaust or muffler which is the front part with the 3pipes. The extensions are the cats.

What I have is the exhaust.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Banned
Based on what you describe you have the secondary CAT bypass pipes with resonators and the Muffler. Fabspeed sells this for $1,495 how did you buy it for only $900 ? Did you buy it used before you put 700 miles on it?

Old 05-18-2007, 12:08 AM
easyc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nyboxsterS
If you are looking for more HP you will only pickup 10 maybe 15 HP from a less restrictive exhaust system like Fabspeed.

Horsepower is hard to find on our cars... an exhaust alone will give you at most 2-3 hp... the ruf exhaust at 2500 dollars will give you about that, but most of the after-market boxster exhaust will actually lose a little bit. You will see some hp from the cat bypass pipes, but I have never seen a real second party dyno from those.

I have a ghl... its loud... it does resonant from 1800-2800 rpm when under throttle, but I love it. Ive heard a dansk sausage, pse, and a fabspeed all on different boxsters... and I like the GHL the best.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by easyc
Horsepower is hard to find on our cars... an exhaust alone will give you at most 2-3 hp... the ruf exhaust at 2500 dollars will give you about that, but most of the after-market boxster exhaust will actually lose a little bit. You will see some hp from the cat bypass pipes, but I have never seen a real second party dyno from those.
I'm pretty sure that you're right with the HP, but i'm suprised that Fabspeed is announcing more than 10 HP directly on its site...

Originally Posted by easyc
I have a ghl... its loud... it does resonant from 1800-2800 rpm when under throttle, but I love it. Ive heard a dansk sausage, pse, and a fabspeed all on different boxsters... and I like the GHL the best.
resonant is maybe the price to pay for loud sound, but from my opinion it'll be boring at the end...Thanks for you experience on that.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Evil986S is on a distinguished road
Hi ALAM,
Do you still have the Fabspeed exhaust for sale?

Old 05-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Lyn
Lyn has much to be proud ofLyn has much to be proud ofLyn has much to be proud ofLyn has much to be proud ofLyn has much to be proud ofLyn has much to be proud ofLyn has much to be proud ofLyn has much to be proud ofLyn has much to be proud of
I've heard that the Fabspeed exhaust has a resonance issue in the 2700-3100 rpm range, which is cruising speed in most parts of the country. Regardless, I'd like to hear one up close and personal before I decide. I'm guessing from alam's post that he is less that thrilles with his Fabspeed unit. Care to coment why??
Lyn

Old 06-05-2008, 09:45 PM
986S is on a distinguished road
Kind of changing the topic a little, but has anyone had Dansk Performance Stainless Steel headers on their Boxster?

Old 06-06-2008, 07:01 AM
ofishbein is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 986S
Kind of changing the topic a little, but has anyone had Dansk Performance Stainless Steel headers on their Boxster?
I have the Dansk headers and am very happy. My mechanic ran the second O2 sensors behind the main cats and I haven't had any issue with a CEL and it's been about 5,000 miles now. Great sound and it even got rid of the resonance I had with the Dansk "sausage" muffler alone (must be something about the combination of the two).

I didn't notice any real power difference, but I only had them on for a few days before adding Powerchip remapping. Once that was done it pulled together the headers and previously-installed EVO cold air kit and I noticed a VERY significant gain. No dyno results to share but my butt dyno (the only one I really care about) indicates a big power increase.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:58 AM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
986Dream

I had REMUS Exhaust installed (No Headers)on my 07 Cayman 2.7 Liter and at Tech Session Dyno day was surprised to see a 19 and 20 HP increase on my 2 Dyno runs.I notice I use 3Rd gear instead of 4Th more now so there was a noticable amout of increased Tourque as well.