Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

from Radio/CD with Bose system to PCM2.1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 02:39 AM
stealthTT will become famous soon enoughstealthTT will become famous soon enough
from Radio/CD with Bose system to PCM2.1

Hello,

I have been searching everywhere for peoples that have changed the radio/cd with any type of AV sistem. What I discovered is that you need to get many things in order to work like: frame, the HU, an adapter that will translate the signal from analog to digital - optical fiber, if you dont want to loose the BOSE sistem, and the last one is to find an adapter so that you could still use the steering wheel buttons. That beeing said I have pursuit to get on of those OEM units but no luck at all, and yesterday the most thing happened:
my cousin, who's not in this tehnical field and has nothing to do with it told me that he has a PCM2.1 at home for more than 1 year left by a friend of his who had several Cayenne's from basic to TTS, he wanted to get rid of that because he had installed a full AV sistem, with many lcd's, cameras, etc.. so I got it for FREE .

Now, I want to install it and have found no Infos about converting from CD to PCM. so what I wanted to ask and to know if any of you have done it before, and what I have to do. I want to use the PCM and all of his features, like NAVI, PHONE, etc.. and use some add on like rear backup camera, a iPod aux, bluetooth, etc..
Since I have ONLY the Head Unit, does anyone know if I need an additional antena for the GPS, or for the Phone or additional wires? also, do I have to go to the Porsche dealer and tell them to mod the comp and start the PCM?(i've seen that the Cayman guys have to do that).

so please, if you have the infos please share them here.

thanks,

Ilie

Old 09-15-2008, 03:15 AM
stealthTT will become famous soon enoughstealthTT will become famous soon enough
and if you wonder what I will use for different add on's, USB also so I can play directly from MEMSTICK , also it has a very nice feature - you can play the videos from the iPOD so here is the almighty adapter I have found, and costs no more than 419 eur:

564 GATEWAY 500: iPod factory car radio set for all Porsche starting from 2003 with MOST-BUS
With the GATEWAY 500, we are presenting the first iPod adapter for all Porsche with Headunit- / Navigationsystems CDR24, CDR23, PCM 2 or PCM 2.1.
The iPod adapter supports the amazing sound potential of the iPod in a perfect way. Furthermore, the GATEWAY 500 provides a comfortable controlling of the iPod via the steering wheel remote control or the PCM / CDR. With all PCM systems the CD text information from the iPod is displayed on the navigation system.
Besides the comfortable iPod integration, the GATEWAY 500 is equipped with even more interfaces for additional devices. Via the integrated USB port with charging, i.e. USB sticks or portable USB hard drives for music play back are connectable; in order to enhance the capacity of the connected iPod. The audio line-in (AUX-IN) facilitates the connection of further external multi media components like a DVD player or a PlayStation, as well as a voice recorder or a PDA with Bluetooth® wireless technology via maxxcount CarKit Blue. With the additional data line-in the GATEWAY 500 is prepared for any future enhancement options.

No matter which components are supposed to be connected to the car - the GATEWAY 500 definitely captivates with its outstanding universality. By that, it appears as the ideal multi media interface for all Porsche models with optical data bus MOST.

Features:
-
iPod control via the original car radio or the steering wheel remote control
-
Conserves the rechargeable iPod battery by a intelligent charging system
-
USB host connection for several USB mass storages, e.g. USB sticks and
USB card readers(supported formats: mp3, WMA, OGG)
-
AUX line-in via 3.5mm to RCA
Accessories:

You want to play back your iPod videos on an external monitor ? Here you will find the DENSION Video-Adapter for GATEWAY
For a detailed description please go to Basic-Info GATEWAY 500.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:16 AM
Comment:
GATEWAY 500 in Porsche
Preview:

You will find the complete installation workshop for GATEWAY 500 in Porsche Cayenne from year of construction 2005 with the folder "Files" above.

Please be advised, the GATEWAY 500 is not compatible with the following iPods:
-
iPods of the 1. & 2. Generation
-
iPods of the 3. Generation (iPod variation with the control button above the clickwheel)!

you can find it: http://www.maxxcount.de/

the other one that I have found is this one:
http://allinterface.com/index.php?ma...95575db3ff2847

larger image

PORSCHE POR02 Audio Video Interface for Cayenne(2005~)

€245.00

Description : Video Interface for PORSCHE Cayenne 2005~

Type : Auxiliary AV Interface
Multimedia :
- 2 A/V Input and 1 Video Input(for rear camera)
- 1 RGB input
- Source change can usd NAVI Button or IR controller
- Fully programmable - screen adjustments and channel enable/disable
- Plug & Play Compatible
- compatible with most local OEM Nevigation
- If installed rear camera display change when 'R' position
- Audio is must send to AUX or FM trans, and use remote button for select display

Include :
- Interface
- RGB board
- Remote contoller for setup (not in picture)
- All cords
- Install Manual

I Dont know about the FM transmision for AUDIO? dont know if it works with BOSE sistem.

..hope that this is not a repost. this is not a comercial add or something so please I ask the mod not to delete it. I started it in order to help the others to DIY.

Last edited by stealthTT; 09-15-2008 at 03:41 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:29 AM
back to my problem:

here is the picture of the back of the HU PCM 2.1. could someone tell me for each plugs which one serves for Radio, GPS, Phone? I have 3 different Antena plugs(I guess that those are antenas).

Old 09-16-2008, 01:56 AM
so, I guess no one has any clue about it?

Old 09-16-2008, 03:48 AM
Filin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by stealthTT
back to my problem:

here is the picture of the back of the HU PCM 2.1. could someone tell me for each plugs which one serves for Radio, GPS, Phone? I have 3 different Antena plugs(I guess that those are antenas).

Media Orientated System Transport, or MOST for short. This important innovation uses high-speed fiber optics to transfer audio, navigation and CD changer data between system components with total integrity and minimal exposure to interference. The MOST bus system is particularly effective when it comes to enhancing audio ouput. Amplifiers, and CD changers are digitally linked for a much higher quality of sound reproduction, and a more engaging audio experience.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:56 AM
mudman2 is on a distinguished road
Love the enthusiasm, but...

Old 09-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by Filin

Media Orientated System Transport, or MOST for short. This important innovation uses high-speed fiber optics to transfer audio, navigation and CD changer data between system components with total integrity and minimal exposure to interference. The MOST bus system is particularly effective when it comes to enhancing audio ouput. Amplifiers, and CD changers are digitally linked for a much higher quality of sound reproduction, and a more engaging audio experience.

thanks for helping me. I'll have it done finally, a good friend of mine from here has an audio shop, and he is willing to help me through this. he has done some jobs on other PCayenne's that were using the MOST sistem; the GATEWAY 500 that I have wrote about it in this post IS THE ONLY ONE THAT CAN CONNECT TO THIS "MOST" sistem. I have searched and many peoples from UK and Europe wrote about it; Other sistems WILL NOT WORK with MOST, because they use a FM transmiter. So, with GATEWAY 500 I will add as many things as I can, and Finaly I will go for navigation with a very popular device that uses the screen of the PSM 2.1. For those that are interested what the G500 can do, just do a short search over the net.

btw.
offtopic: I have just bought a Turbo front bumper, so that I will change the S look of my car.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by mudman2
Love the enthusiasm, but...

I have to be enthusiastic and I know that you do know more about how I'm supposed to do it but....

Ilie

Old 09-16-2008, 10:11 AM
mudman2 is on a distinguished road
Also do a search for Mobridge. They also have a MOST system. Thats what I use.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by mudman2
Also do a search for Mobridge. They also have a MOST system. Thats what I use.

yes I will. thanks a lot.

ps.
thats what I was speaking of.