Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.
View Poll Results: WOULD YOU BE INTERESTED IN A S/C KIT FOR YOUR NA V8 CAYENNE?
YES
82.22%
NO
17.78%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

NA V8 Cayenne Supercharger KIT - YES or NOT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 12:16 AM
Lion1978 is on a distinguished road
I want it on my new cayenne s .

Old 11-07-2010, 06:42 AM
Brez is on a distinguished road
Just a question for the experts here.

1. What does a SC do to your fuel consumption ?
2. How does it affect the life of your engine?
3. How much horsepower and torque can be increased on a V6 Cayenne
Thanks in advance
Brez

Old 11-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Carl Fausett is on a distinguished road
Thank you all for your interest. We are a licensed Porsche Parts dealer, and I can get Porsche bits as I need direct from the factory when/if needed.

I am well aware of the "sweet spot" in price... if too expensive or too hard to install (read "expensive") I would miss the spot intended and be in turbo or Turbo S pricing. That would be a mistake.

Because of the interest you guys have shown, I am going to go stick my head under a few Cayenne's this week with an eye for how and where I will install the supercharger. I'll report back.

Carl
www.928motorsports.com

Last edited by Carl Fausett; 11-07-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:05 AM
When someone lends me their car to be a test mule, I develop the kit on their car and we give them cost of parts + 10% pricing. That means they will not pay for labor and get all the parts at 10% over cost. I also document the install with dyno testing before-and-after and they do not pay for that either.

But, what I need is a bone-stock car. We we the dyno results to represent the HP improvements of the supercharger kit ONLY, and so I want the test mule to preferably have stock exhaust, stock chipset, etc.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:49 AM
medtech is on a distinguished road
Brez,

I'm no expert, but here are some approximate answers:

1. Depends on how you drive and how much boost you are using, etc. But on average you will only lose 1-3 MPG.

2. Shouldn't really affect engine life as I'm sure Carl would be running low to mod boost. (Over the life of the car, perhaps it might give out at 200k as opposed to 250k miles).

3. I don't think you would get any more that about 333HP max (safely) out of a system like this on a V6.

Originally Posted by Brez
Just a question for the experts here.

1. What does a SC do to your fuel consumption ?
2. How does it affect the life of your engine?
3. How much horsepower and torque can be increased on a V6 Cayenne
Thanks in advance
Brez

Old 11-07-2010, 01:16 PM
As to gas mileage: beacause the supercharger increases the volumetric efficiency of the motor, it is common for the vehicle to exhibit improved gas mileage in steady-state or partial throttle operation. Then, because the kit will be fueling for max power during wide-open throttle(WOT), the gas mileage during WOT is usually worse than stock.

Example: A Porsche 928 V8 at 65 mph will be turning 2300 rpm on the interstate in 5th gear with the cruise control set. Steady-state, partial throttle. NA, this car gets 21 MPG in this position, and after supercharging they yield 24 MPG.

However, if you have your foot shoved thru the firewall tickling the throttle body all the time, the gas mileage is worse than NA (but the fun-factor is greater).

As always, MPG is influenced by the driver and how it is driven.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:20 PM
As to how effects the life of your engine: this will be what they call a "low boost" kit, probably under 6 pounds total boost at redline.

It will have no effect on engine life nor the wear on internal parts. Some have argued that low-boosted engines actually last longer than their NA counterparts, owing to the increased cushion provided at the top of the piston stroke to stop the pisrton and reverse its direction.

I will design the kit for the stock head gasket, stock pistons, and stock cooling system.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:40 PM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
Guys you can pick up used 6ers for 15k on 04-06 models.........if you were in Austin, youd have a donor in your drive way I just sold a spare jeep I had last week..

Old 11-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by Carl Fausett
As to how effects the life of your engine: this will be what they call a "low boost" kit, probably under 6 pounds total boost at redline.

It will have no effect on engine life nor the wear on internal parts. Some have argued that low-boosted engines actually last longer than their NA counterparts, owing to the increased cushion provided at the top of the piston stroke to stop the pisrton and reverse its direction.

I will design the kit for the stock head gasket, stock pistons, and stock cooling system.
Carl and all, thank you for your inputs. Could you tell me how much HP can be picked up on the V6 if you were to SC it ( or is the previous posters estimate of 333 HP sounds about right)?

Thanks
Brez

Old 11-07-2010, 04:00 PM
China gets the SC version!

We knew that it was only a matter of time before the Chinese market-destined version of a car coming from a top worldwide automaker would no longer just be different from what the rest of the world gets, but a better vehicle.

And that day has arrived, with Porsche’s Chinese-destined Cayenne ditching the 3.6 liter naturally aspirated V6 engine and using the supercharged 3.0 liter V6 powerplant from the Audi S4.

The company has decided to make the move due to a tax legislation reason. The Chinese car taxes are calculated based on a vehicle’s engine capacity. The “rest of the world” 3.6 liter displacement would place the SUV in the 3 to 4 liters category, meaning that it would receive a 40 percent tax level. Replacing the aforementioned unit with the S4’s engine brings the Cayenne under the 3 liter limit, cutting the taxes on the car to 25 percent.

So the Chinese customers benefit from a hefty tax reduction, but also receive a more advanced machine. Let us explain. The supercharged 3.0 liter TFSI V6 unit offers 333 hp between 5,500 and 7,000 rpm and a maximum torque of 324.5 lb-ft between 2,900 and 5,300 rpm, while the naturally aspirated 3.6 liter engine in the Cayenne delivers 300 hp at 6,300 rpm and 295 lb-ft at 3,000 rpm . So the Chinese market gets more horsepower and torque as well as improved driveability.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/po...ina-21968.html

Old 11-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Could you tell me how much HP can be picked up on the V6 if you were to SC it ( or is the previous posters estimate of 333 HP sounds about right)?
I am a little reluctant to answer - but here I go. Remember that results of supercharging will vary depending on the shape of the combustion chamber, size of the valves, cam lobe profiles, and effeciency of the exhaust scavenging system. And of course: the quality of the fuel injection and the final tune.

That being said, I have experienced 15 HP per pound of boost in early injected cars, and up thru 25 HP per pound of boost in late-model electronically fuel injected cars.
Taking 20 HP per pound as a reasonable and conservative mid, expect 5 psi to net 100 HP.

Another yardstick is the 50% factor. Expect 6 psi to net about a 50% increase in HP.

Finally - remember that the supercharger does not output PSI. It outputs CFM. PSI is a function of the restriction to flow in the engine. The higher the restiction, the higher the psi reading on theboost gauge and the lower the HP.

If the Cayenne engine breathes like a Porsche normally does (damn well), then expect lower psi numbers, but higher final outputs.

Last edited by Carl Fausett; 11-08-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Carl Fausett
I am a little reluctant to answer - but here I go. Remember that results of supercharging will vary depending on the shape of the combustion chamber, size of the valves, cam lobe profiles, and effeciency of the exhaust scavenging system. And of course: the quality of the fuel injection and the final tune.

That being said, I have experienced 15 HP per pound of boost in early injected cars, and up thru 25 HP per pound of boost in late-model electronically fuel injected cars.
Taking 20 HOP per pound as a reasonable and conservative mid, expect 5 psi to net 100 HP.

Another yardstick is the 50% factor. Expect 6 psi to net about a 50% increase in HP.

Finally - remember that the supercharger does not output PSI. It outputs CFM. PSI is a function of the restriction to flow in the engine. The higher the restiction, the higher the psi reading on theboost gauge and the lower the HP.

If the Cayenne engine breathes like a Porsche normally does (damn well), then expect lower psi numbers, but higher final outputs.
Thanks Carl,
Wow, that does sound pretty good! So a SC V6 Cayenne would/could have similar HP to a Cayenne S but on a lighter frame. I like that.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:55 PM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
With All this 6 CYL chatter I just want to make sure we are all still hoping for a V8 SC here folks! Carl if I was not in NJ I would be dropping off my car tomorrow ;(

Old 11-07-2010, 10:51 PM
1Need4Speed is on a distinguished road
Just curious if the reason no one has taken interest in building the Supercharger kits for the NA Cayennes maybe due to the V6 and V8 Cayenne's compression ratio being so high. 11.5:1 range for 2006 models and ealier and then jumping up to 12.5:1 in the 2008 plus models. That's extremely high compression from the start to adding forced induction to these motors.
If you want to make any power without keeping the boost level extremely low or ripping into the motor and taking out compression...someone needs to build a supercharger kit with an intercooler and methanol injection system to get plus octane when under boost to prevent detonation to make it worth the expense. You can setup the methanol injection in the tune to spray when under boost.
Thats the setup I had on my twin turbo viper with stock bottom end until I decided to rebuild the motor to make MUCH more power

Old 11-08-2010, 02:34 AM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
seriously, whats the point? I'd just trade up for a Cayenne Turbo and still have factory warranty

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NA V8 Cayenne Supercharger KIT - YES or NOT