Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Do i need to remove both drain plugs for oil change?

Old 03-24-2009, 01:40 PM
MadeInPorshe will become famous soon enoughMadeInPorshe will become famous soon enough
Do i need to remove both drain plugs for oil change?

I started on my oil change for 05 CS, and i find that my upper 8mm hex bolt isnt coming loose but its starting to strip!!!!

I can loosen up the lower one no problem.

I was wondering if it would be an issue if i just drained from the lower drain hole and left the upper one?

Thanks

Last edited by MadeInPorshe; 03-24-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:51 PM
canberk will become famous soon enough
if my memory serves me right, one of them is some other fluid's drain plug, so you better don't remove if you're not sure

Old 03-24-2009, 02:58 PM
MadeInPorshe will become famous soon enoughMadeInPorshe will become famous soon enough
Yeah i see 3 under the car, i know the one is the differential fluid drain plug and the other 2 are for the oil drain.....

Any advice on trying to remove a barely stripped 8mm hex drain plug?

im in a dilemma...

Old 03-24-2009, 03:45 PM
bigdog is on a distinguished road
i normally drained both of them up front,,,,,it holds 9 qts if my memory serves me correct

Old 03-24-2009, 07:13 PM
stikystikyricky is on a distinguished road
Im sorry I am of no help.. However I just picked up my 05 S last month and plan on doing my own oil changes. Could you take a picture of the two bolts that you need to take out?? Sorry for being kinda self centered.. Just dont want to run into the same problem.. Good luck!!

Old 03-24-2009, 08:06 PM
TCM
TCM will become famous soon enough
We always remove both to drain all oil with any Cayenne oil change. The front one does splash a lot of oil because it hits an axle or crossmember if memory serves me correctly. Hope this helps.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:52 AM
Originally Posted by stikystikyricky
Im sorry I am of no help.. However I just picked up my 05 S last month and plan on doing my own oil changes. Could you take a picture of the two bolts that you need to take out?? Sorry for being kinda self centered.. Just dont want to run into the same problem.. Good luck!!

Here this will answer all your questions unless you got a stripped hex bolt like me

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...11&#entry78411

Old 03-25-2009, 01:05 AM
Imports is on a distinguished road
I ran into almost the same problem with mine. My rear bolt was almost stripped and I didn't have a replacement at the time so I just left it in seeing as I was about to strip it out and it still wasn't budging. I still put in about 8-8.5 quarts of oil. I did purchase replacement bolts so i will see what happens next time. As for removing the bolt if its completely stripped there is always the option to tap the bolt, but i would hate to to nearly drill it out and it not budge like i've had done on another bolt of mine. Post up how you get it out if it works, because i have a feeling i will be doing the same thing next oil change.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by Imports
I ran into almost the same problem with mine. My rear bolt was almost stripped and I didn't have a replacement at the time so I just left it in seeing as I was about to strip it out and it still wasn't budging. I still put in about 8-8.5 quarts of oil. I did purchase replacement bolts so i will see what happens next time. As for removing the bolt if its completely stripped there is always the option to tap the bolt, but i would hate to to nearly drill it out and it not budge like i've had done on another bolt of mine. Post up how you get it out if it works, because i have a feeling i will be doing the same thing next oil change.

So you did the oil change with only removing the lower drain plug huh?....
seemed like that work fine as all the oil or most of it anyways came out.

Anyways my solution was, i noticed the head of my hex key socket was starting to round. The edges were just slipping when i try to loosen it along with the drain plug.
So i went out and got a new hex socket, and this time i put it on a hoist/lift, and got a hammer to tap the drain plug. Its suppose to loosen up the tight bolt since its been sitting tight in there for sometime.
After doing so, i got the hex key and ratchet and with one hand i pushed it up hard against into the drain plug and with the other hand i turned the ratchet slowly... so its like pushing up and turn at the same time... and voila!! it came off!!.. the hoist really helped the second time cause i have more pressure pushing up while standing.

I hope that helped!!... I hate stripped bolts!!

Old 03-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Imports is on a distinguished road
yeah it seemed to work fine with just the lower plug removed. Of course i would have rather removed both, but at the time didn't want to take a chance. Yeah i figured i would do the same thing you did when its time to change them next time. I swear sometimes people think its a strength contest when putting the plugs back in. Anytime i changed someones oil when the had it done at a shop before was near impossible to remove them without stripping them. I tightend my decent and have never had one come loose and never too hard to remove the next time.