Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Calipers not releasing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 05:39 PM
ugggh is on a distinguished road
Calipers not releasing?

I have a 2008 Cayenne V6 and wondering if anyone else has this problem.

Car has an intermittent squeal when I let off the brakes and as the car begins to roll. It's a low-pitched humming sound. It's been to the dealer a number of times - first they claimed brake dust buildup, then they replaced the rear pads and rotors. That seemed to help for about 6 months but now the noise is back.

So I took it in again today and they said they want to check to make sure the calipers are releasing properly. They think it might be related to the "hill stopper" that keeps the car from rolling back on an incline.

Anyone else experience this? What was the fix?

Thanks!

Old 06-09-2009, 07:14 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
I don't know the fix, but my 2009 Turbo S does the same thing. A good power wash of the calipers clears it up for anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks but it does not seem "normal" to me. I have not yet taken it in though.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Mrledzeppelin is infamous around these partsMrledzeppelin is infamous around these parts
I've personally fixed this issue on plenty of Cayennes. The Dealer should be able to clean everything up and get it to go away. I haven't address that particular brake noise on the new turbo S', but brake noises on apply with the turbo s' is kinda normal, goes with out saying if it has PCCBs.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:27 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mrledzeppelin
I've personally fixed this issue on plenty of Cayennes. The Dealer should be able to clean everything up and get it to go away. I haven't address that particular brake noise on the new turbo S', but brake noises on apply with the turbo s' is kinda normal, goes with out saying if it has PCCBs.
Thanks.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:16 PM
racer_65 is on a distinguished road
I started experiencing this issue at around 21K miles. Hosing with water does help for a few days, so dust plays a part; however, I finally found out the root cause. If you look at the front rotors, you'll probably see a ridge caused by the pads wearing down the center part of the rotor. When you release the brakes, the pads slightly scrape against this ridge, causing the squeaking noise. The only solution is to replace the rotor.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by racer_65
I started experiencing this issue at around 21K miles. Hosing with water does help for a few days, so dust plays a part; however, I finally found out the root cause. If you look at the front rotors, you'll probably see a ridge caused by the pads wearing down the center part of the rotor. When you release the brakes, the pads slightly scrape against this ridge, causing the squeaking noise. The only solution is to replace the rotor.
Interesting observation but our started really early (maybe 2,000 miles). It is now at about 6,000 and there is a slight ridge on the center of the rotor so maybe that is contributing. We are due to go in soon so I will have it looked at.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

Agreed that cleaning the wheels only takes the noise away for a few days, then it's back again.

An update from my end - the dealer did some tests and sent the data back to the factory. They got authorization to replace the hydraulic control unit. Factory also asked them to check the travel of the pads and calipers, maybe replacing the control unit won't be necessary.

For what it's worth, my dealership has seen this on only one other car. It doesn't appear to be a widespread (or at least widely known) problem.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by ugggh
Thanks for all the replies.

Agreed that cleaning the wheels only takes the noise away for a few days, then it's back again.

An update from my end - the dealer did some tests and sent the data back to the factory. They got authorization to replace the hydraulic control unit. Factory also asked them to check the travel of the pads and calipers, maybe replacing the control unit won't be necessary.

For what it's worth, my dealership has seen this on only one other car. It doesn't appear to be a widespread (or at least widely known) problem.
Do you mind PM'ing me your dealer and tech? I will probably have my tech call them.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by sparkhill
Do you mind PM'ing me your dealer and tech? I will probably have my tech call them.
Just tried to PM you but I don't have enough posts!! PM me your email and I'll respond.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Mrledzeppelin is infamous around these partsMrledzeppelin is infamous around these parts
Just remembered today at work, I did have one that was caused by the parking brake actually.