6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Cayenne 955/957 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-13/)
-   -   Replacing stock horn with an air horn (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne-955-957/186602-replacing-stock-horn-air-horn.html)

Polar993 09-23-2009 01:23 AM

Replacing stock horn with an air horn

I'm thinking about replacing the stock horn on my MY09 GTS with a Hella Air Horn.

I know it sounds cheesy, but I hate the sound of the OEM horn (sounds like a Buick IMHO!), and the Hella Air Horn sounds great! I have a Hella horn in my 911, and I love it. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know how difficult it is to access the horn and replace it? I did a search and found nothing on this subject.

Thanks!

ONE234 09-23-2009 05:16 AM

i replaced both my standard horns for electric air horns.
if you have a cayenne or S its easy, if you have a turbo its a bit more aggro.
because there located eather side of the car just behind the intercoolers.
you can access them from underneath by removing the front wheels and going up underneath the wheel well lining.
its so worth it because she now sounds like a train.

good luck.

GreyPepper 09-23-2009 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by ONE234 (Post 2551504)
you can access them from underneath by removing the front wheels and going up underneath the wheel well lining.

good luck.

My horn/s need replacing.
Do they need any additional wiring etc for the air horns or are they a quick, straight replacement?
Do you have to remove the wheel well lining or is it possible to get at them without removing it?
Thanks.

ONE234 09-23-2009 10:35 AM

as long as there not drawing too much current you can just fit them as a direct replacement.
if there a bit "heavy" you might need a relay.
ive known people get to them by just removing the undertray and others need to take out the wheel liners.
change both of them for max results hilarious:eek:

Polar993 09-23-2009 05:37 PM

Wow, I had no idea there were two horns!

Is it possible to replace one and simply disconnect the other? I feel that two sets of air horns might be major overkill! Typically air horns systems are dual horn (trumpet) anyway.

What is the “undertray” that needs to be removed to access the oem horns?

Does anyone have any pics of this?

ONE234 09-24-2009 05:31 AM

yes you can just replace 1 horn, but why?
porsche use the high/low frequency horns.
my electric air horns were only a bit bigger than the originals (look like a large snail :D)
the undertray is under the engine front (covers the sump etc) when thats removed you can just get small hands up to access the horns (cayenne and S)
turbo is better done through the wheel well liner.
dont forget to point them backwards or downwards so they dont fill with water etc.;)

LosAngeles 09-24-2009 05:26 PM

anyone have good example of horns that can be easily switched with no relays?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvdjOsvBXFU

obviously a bit obnoxious and not a simple replacement

Polar993 09-25-2009 02:39 AM

Thanks!

Do you mind telling me which air horns you have?

I have a GTS, so I assume it's the same install procedure as the S, correct?

Originally Posted by ONE234 (Post 2552915)
yes you can just replace 1 horn, but why?
porsche use the high/low frequency horns.
my electric air horns were only a bit bigger than the originals (look like a large snail :D)
the undertray is under the engine front (covers the sump etc) when thats removed you can just get small hands up to access the horns (cayenne and S)
turbo is better done through the wheel well liner.
dont forget to point them backwards or downwards so they dont fill with water etc.;)

GreyPepper 09-29-2009 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by ONE234 (Post 2551504)

good luck.

Is the undertray the same as the skidplate, the piece at the front that attaches to the bumper?
Is this easy to remove as I now have 2 new horns to install. Any pictures would be great...
As I have 2 horns to install, do not fancy removing both wheel liners..

Polar993 09-29-2009 12:38 PM

Does anyone know if these Hella Dual Air Horns will fit in the location of the stock horns (on both sides)?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002MA03I

With a total of four "trumpets" my Pepper's horn is going to be LOUD!!! :eek:

wilfred 09-29-2009 05:28 PM

I haven't messed with the Cayenne but have installed air horns like this on few other cars:

http://www.amazon.com/Stebel-Nautilu...=pd_sim_auto_2

They are LOUD! And much easier to install if space allows it. The delay is noticeably less than the traditional air horns with tubing too. Relay & additional wirings are must for most modern cars. (I have only seen older european cars that come with factory air horns.) Otherwise you are guarantee to pop a fuse.

GreyPepper 09-30-2009 05:04 PM

I may have a go at installing the horns tomorrow. I take it that if I g via the wheel liners, that thet dont have to come completely off, just dropped at the front end? ( hopefully.)

JCH997S 10-03-2009 12:52 PM

I would like to install a trumpet horn like they used to have in the 993s and back in a 997 S, is this possible? i was told they are too large?

Anybody else try this?

ONE234 10-03-2009 03:01 PM

why too large? you could fit an elephant under there if you wanted.
just make up a bracket and you might have to extend the wires a bit?

fit any horns you like, my 2 electric/air are about 3 times the size of the OEM ones.
and 3 times as loud :D

GreyPepper 10-03-2009 03:56 PM

I fitted the new horns via the wheel arch covers. A little tricky to get at the wiring connector and the short length of wiring to the horn, but got there in the end. I did not go big horns though, just new and better. Just a little louder. :rolleyes: