6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Cayenne 955/957 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-13/)
-   -   help, please! I bought an 05 Cayenne 2 hours ago and I think I got screwed :( (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne-955-957/215567-help-please-i-bought-05-cayenne-2-hours-ago-i-think-i-got-screwed.html)

nilsgol 06-28-2010 08:41 PM

help, please! I bought an 05 Cayenne 2 hours ago and I think I got screwed :(

I'm brand new to Porsche. In fact, I'm 2 hours new. I just bought an 05 Cayenne S with 61k miles (VIN WP1AB29P55LA64369)

I'm desperate... I think I got screwed over by the BMW dealer where I bought it. I've heard the Cayenne is hesitant, but this is ridiculous. When we test drove it, it was fine. An hour into driving it, it began hesitating from a full stop. Now, it hesitates constantly. To the point that it's having trouble shifting into every single gear!

Not only that, but I hear loud THUMPS coming from somewhere between under and the front of the car...

Here are some videos of the issue. In all videos, the car was going from a FULL STOP. In each I accelerated differently - one with the pedal all the way down, one with the pedal half way, one with the pedal slightly pressed, and and so on. Regardless of how I accelerate, there are THUMPS and extreme hesitation. Eventually, the car begins to accelerate, but only after up to 5 or even more seconds of doing nothing, a few loud thumps, and extreme hestitation.

By the way, it's an automatic with tiptronic. Turning off PSM or even going into manual doesn't change anything. Same exact problem, even on first gear manual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sjhb7YgL3c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlZVTfdNcjI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x4gLn-l56I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r2TyoDt-Iw

What should I do??? I have a 60 day "warranty" on it, but I'm sure it won't be easy to get them to fix anything. I'm thinking of going to the Porsche dealer, having them diagnose it, and then going to the BMW dealer and demand that they fix any issues that the Porsche service advisor finds.

UPDATE: I let it cool down for an hour and it was driving fine when I took it out for a short 5 minute drive. This problem happens apparently once the engine is hot.

Help!

LosAngeles 06-28-2010 10:44 PM

return it

squid 06-28-2010 10:46 PM

Cayennes start in 2nd gear by default. There might be a way around it...

In any case if you've got a "cooling off period" in your state it might be worth your sanity to dump it.

rossii 06-28-2010 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by nilsgol (Post 2890507)
I'm brand new to Porsche. In fact, I'm 2 hours new. I just bought an 05 Cayenne S with 61k miles (VIN WP1AB29P55LA64369)

I'm desperate... I think I got screwed over by the BMW dealer where I bought it. I've heard the Cayenne is hesitant, but this is ridiculous. When we test drove it, it was fine. An hour into driving it, it began hesitating from a full stop. Now, it hesitates constantly. To the point that it's having trouble shifting into every single gear!

Not only that, but I hear loud THUMPS coming from somewhere between under and the front of the car...

Here are some videos of the issue. In all videos, the car was going from a FULL STOP. In each I accelerated differently - one with the pedal all the way down, one with the pedal half way, one with the pedal slightly pressed, and and so on. Regardless of how I accelerate, there are THUMPS and extreme hesitation. Eventually, the car begins to accelerate, but only after up to 5 or even more seconds of doing nothing, a few loud thumps, and extreme hestitation.

By the way, it's an automatic with tiptronic. Turning off PSM or even going into manual doesn't change anything. Same exact problem, even on first gear manual.

What should I do??? I have a 60 day "warranty" on it, but I'm sure it won't be easy to get them to fix anything. I'm thinking of going to the Porsche dealer, having them diagnose it, and then going to the BMW dealer and demand that they fix any issues that the Porsche service advisor finds.

UPDATE: I let it cool down for an hour and it was driving fine when I took it out for a short 5 minute drive. This problem happens apparently once the engine is hot.

Help!

If you bought it from a BMW dealership they will send it to Porsche to get it fixed there is no way they would do it in house. Personally I would take it back and get my money. Of if you want to keep it tell them you will take it to Porsche yourself and have them contact the used car manager at BMW handle it.

yrralis1 06-29-2010 01:40 AM

You have choices--

1) Take it there tomorrow but contact an attorney before you go. He (or she) will advise. That contract will have a lot things in writing that he may need to see .
Do not speak to them and contact the attorney first with all your paperwork available .

2) Worst Case Scenario -- If all effort fails --meaning that the attorney reads the contract and sees enough legwork in it to cost you too much in legal fees and time , and Porsche diagnoses it and it's a big job ..... trade it in and eat the expense .

You'll lose approx 10 grand and it's a lesson in how expensive education can be.
The dealership will eventually fix it and the have the time and ability to do it --but you don't. You need a car .

Hedge you loss in the worst case because every day with a problematic car has doubts about whether or not it will be reliable.

Whether you are "screwed" or not --depends on what you find out . In my opinion you are already screwed because day 1 of a car is supposed to be a happy thing.

Good luck.

DBV 06-29-2010 02:05 AM

Not to rub it in, but why didn't you get this car inspected by a Porsche dealer before buying?

Regardless, take the advice given above, they know what they're talking about. Good luck getting your money back/car fixed.

str8blst 06-29-2010 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by DBV (Post 2890733)
Not to rub it in, but why didn't you get this car inspected by a Porsche dealer before buying?

Regardless, take the advice given above, they know what they're talking about. Good luck getting your money back/car fixed.

2nd... RETURN IT... if it has this issue now only time will tell what it will have later. My inclination is if the previous owner turned the car in like that then it was probably not well maintained or loved. I would be asking myself right now.... what else is wrong that I don't know about.....?:eek:

2muchtime 06-29-2010 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by DBV (Post 2890733)

I never do a simple test drive or drive like your going for a driving license test, do highways, then to start n stop streets, few heavy drag race starts, then cruise, very hard stops (including into turns). I even found a vacant sandy lot when I bought mine and did a few big circle eights in the soft white sugar sand to make sure everything felt great :D and also agreed above; inspect by Dealer or certified mechanic before you buy it.

nilsgol 07-01-2010 11:28 AM

I'm back! Thanks for all the posts!

So here's an update:

Got up very early and went to the Porsche dealer (Gaudin Porsche of Las Vegas). The service advisor had the shop foreman ride along with me, but we could not replicate it. I explained that in only starts happening after the car warms up quite a bit and he said it was most definitely a fuel pump issue. Very nice and helpful people there (though online they have terrible reviews).

Anyway, I took the car to the BMW dealer where I bought it and they were very understanding and helpful. The used car manager took it on a loooong drive with me (he actually had to go repo a car so I rode along lol). After a while the problem started happening again, and it got progressively worse. He also said it was definitely the fuel pump.

They told me they would either send it to the Porsche dealer (which is literally right next door to them) or fix it themselves, as they said they had a mechanic that could do it. In the meantime, they gave me an 07 bmw 328 to drive around (I look retarded driving a car with stickers all over that show PRICE, YEAR, WARRANTY, ETC LOL).

Again, I'm sure I will have more issues with this car, but I have 57 days left to identify as many as I can and have them fix it for free (their warranty expires in 57 days).

Thanks for your help everyone!

sparkhill 07-01-2010 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by nilsgol (Post 2893639)
Again, I'm sure I will have more issues with this car, but I have 57 days left to identify as many as I can and have them fix it for free (their warranty expires in 57 days).

Don't be so sure - you may not have any more issues. These are pretty trouble-free. You could still pay the Porsche dealership to inspect the car for peace on mind.

Cole 07-01-2010 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by sparkhill (Post 2893678)
Don't be so sure - you may not have any more issues. These are pretty trouble-free. You could still pay the Porsche dealership to inspect the car for peace on mind.

If you ask the guys on RL you would think these are the worst cars ever made.:rolleyes:

Porsche119 07-02-2010 06:08 AM

Things happen, but you can return it.
Demand your money back.
Or demand that porsche fix it for you at their expense.
D

mike pezely 07-02-2010 11:22 AM

Fuel pump is most likely the problem, but you also failed to mention any service history. If you read the forum you know coils /plugs / drive shaft will be an issue at some point. MY advice is to get a proper PPI from an excellent service shop. When they are right, they are great vehicles!

2muchtime 07-02-2010 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by mike pezely (Post 2895010)
Fuel pump is most likely the problem, but you also failed to mention any service history. If you read the forum you know coils /plugs / drive shaft will be an issue at some point. MY advice is to get a proper PPI from an excellent service shop. When they are right, they are great vehicles!

First off you are dead on. As hard as I drive mine I can't believe it still runs as strong and smooth as it does. No other car I ever had lasted or stayed together long enough.hilarious

Plugs are same cost as the coil tubes give or take few$$, so I would consider both of those items maintenance (change at the same time), drive shaft yes, poor design, Porsche could of made the shaft to where the hub could of been changed out instead of changing the entire shaft. One other thing to note are the coolant tubes, there really is no warning that these are ready to go, everybody I talked to says they blow pull over turn off and tow, mine luckly blew right at my mechanic's garage door! Recently Ithought I had a bad battery, my guy said voltage was fine, it was my starter, and guess where the starter is, under the intake manifold! SO if you ever have to replace your starter and you havent change the coolant tubes yet, that would be the time to change them, you will save the labor charge again if you only do one, which depending on who's doing it could be close to a grand>:(

Haystack615 07-03-2010 12:15 AM

whoa i never heard of this happening before. Good luck in gettin your cash back.