Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Gutting secondary cats!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Wink Gutting secondary cats!

I searched and find it interesting that no one has simply gutted the secondary cats. I guess everyone would rather toss $700 at shiny parts.

The secondary cats simply unbolt and are at the end of the pipe for what looks like easy gutting.

I did this on my last Audi (500hp/600tq) and on my R1 and it works great. Takes a bit of labor but is free otherwise.

Anyone here actually done it on a Cayenne?

If I find some time I may dive into mine soon.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:16 AM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
ive thought about it.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Precision is on a distinguished road
A little elbow grease can save you a lot of money

Old 07-07-2010, 01:48 PM
ny2nj is on a distinguished road
Pics please and a write up..Thx

Old 07-07-2010, 02:02 PM
medtech is on a distinguished road
Go for it!

Let us know how it works out.

ps. To answer your question, no I don't know of anyone who has actually done it.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Brentis is on a distinguished road
I thought they were $500. I got mine used for $300. Plus it saves 40lbs or so. I'll sell you my old cats for $300 and you can gut those and keep yours on while you spend a week getting mine cleaned out.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
$580+ Shipping.

http://www.fabspeed.com/cayenne.html

Only took me about 2 hours do do the set on my Audi.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:03 AM
yoojeankim is on a distinguished road
i just went to a local muffler shop & got a set of pipes only 150$ and i still have my stock cats. IMO a better option

Old 07-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Yeah, I remember the post on it. I've thought about doing that too.

These cats look stupid easy to gut. Looks like you can just cut right thought the weld on the cat about 90% around so that it will open up. The cat material should just push out ofter that. Then closet it back up and weld it shut.

You could probably just smash the stuff out without opening it up too. That would take somem more labor, but still not out of pocket money.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:00 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
We've actually got a set of cayenne bypass pipes we're making _with_ hangers too (so the exhaust doesn't move around) and will be releasing them shortly

Old 07-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by sharkster
We've actually got a set of cayenne bypass pipes we're making _with_ hangers too (so the exhaust doesn't move around) and will be releasing them shortly
That sounds like a good idea.

....and at this point an advantage to gutting the factory set up until you get those out.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Banned
twiskus has a spectacular aura abouttwiskus has a spectacular aura abouttwiskus has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by sharkster
For what motors/trims?

Old 07-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Banned
twiskus has a spectacular aura abouttwiskus has a spectacular aura abouttwiskus has a spectacular aura about
I gutted the cats on my supra TT, but I would hate to bust out the cats and have something else go wrong and Porsche come back and blame them as the culprit for some other issue...then you are spending all that money you saved not buying pipes....

Old 07-09-2010, 03:31 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by twiskus
I gutted the cats on my supra TT, but I would hate to bust out the cats and have something else go wrong and Porsche come back and blame them as the culprit for some other issue...then you are spending all that money you saved not buying pipes....
A. Magnusson-Moss.
B. If no cats is going to effect some warranty part it will do it with a factory gutted cat exactly the same way nit would with fancy straight pipes.
C. I don't have a warranty. So the Porsche dealer will never see my car, ever.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:52 AM
the head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the rough
I've seen studies over the years that gutting cats generally doesn't do much of an improvement over a straight pipe due to the fact the velocity of the gas flow gets disrupted so much - basically making a big turbulence box. I won't say it doesn't make a little more power than having the ceramic matrix in there, but there's more to be had if you keep the piping "smooth". Naturally most of the old magazines that showed this stuff were thrown away a long time ago (from back in the 1980s).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gutting secondary cats!