Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

>>> Carbon Fibered my Cayennes Dash Pod - Lots O' Pics of the process <<<<

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
+1 on the CF. Aerospace composites has a lot of different material. I use a lot of those same teqniques on my rc planes. How does the glue work when you lay down the CF weave? Is it "wet" and able to be repositioned? I always use 3m-77 spray contact adhesive when skinning foam cores. Its strong but able to be repositioned, and it makes wrapping the compound curves easier. You could even brush the first coat of resin kinda lightly just to seal the weave, then spray the remaining coats. It would build alot more evenly and save a lot of sanding! Have you thought about vacuum bagging?

Old 10-24-2010, 09:00 AM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
+1 on the CF. Aerospace composites has a lot of different material. I use a lot of those same teqniques on my rc planes. How does the glue work when you lay down the CF weave? Is it "wet" and able to be repositioned? I always use 3m-77 spray contact adhesive when skinning foam cores. Its strong but able to be repositioned, and it makes wrapping the compound curves easier. You could even brush the first coat of resin kinda lightly just to seal the weave, then spray the remaining coats. It would build alot more evenly and save a lot of sanding! Have you thought about vacuum bagging?
You must be reading my mind:

3m spray - i tried it but was warned by a few that it can loose its grip on flat surface skins. I also found that the spray dries tanish in color and can show through any gaps in the weave. When using the tinted resin, you can reposition if you go apply it earlier in the cure process (while it is just getting its tack). This is fine for flat surfaces but you def need the stickyness for curves.

concerning spraying the resin, have not thought of that as I assumed it was way to thick. I started using a new technique where I lay the 2-3rd coats of resin down thick and then hit it with the heat gun on high. The heat gun works miracles - the resin actuals releases every buble and smooths over quite nicely. With that, sanding has gon way down.

I am working on my center console piece now and will post pics soon.

concerning vacume bagging, I ran some real ghetto tests (zip lock and a vacume) and the results were good. i just have not had time to buy all the equipment needed to do it.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
The 3m can dry out and lose its stickiness, but it is only for the initial positioning. When the resin is applied it will soak thru the weave. You only need enuf 3m to provide tack until the resin is applied. Like a LIGHT fog! Its quite strong. There shouldn't be any gaps in the weave for the 3m to show through. If you stretch the weave enuf to make a gap your stretching too much! Be carefull with the heat gun, you can alter the cure and finished strength of the resin.
Are you using a polyester or epoxy resin? What's the working time? You can thin the epoxy resin with alchohol. The polyester is no thicker than a heavy primer. Gelcoat is sprayed!

Old 02-21-2011, 09:22 AM
lbredefe is on a distinguished road
roxx... I want to send you my dash hood to CF. price and turn around time please? Im thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of $400?

Old 02-21-2011, 01:53 PM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by lbredefe
roxx... I want to send you my dash hood to CF. price and turn around time please? Im thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of $400?
Sorry brother - I only get high on my own supply ! If in the future that changes I will let you know.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:31 AM
Rajabli is an unknown quantity at this point
Why i cant see the pictures that you posted? I like your work that youve done, but for some reason the pictures you added on the forum i cant see, only the ones you added with the links

Old 07-13-2017, 09:24 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rajabli
Why i cant see the pictures that you posted? I like your work that youve done, but for some reason the pictures you added on the forum i cant see, only the ones you added with the links
Photobucket decided to stop providing hosting to "3rd Party" - ie - not theirs - websites for free (where someone keeps their photos on one website and displays them on another using a link to Photobucket.) In order for his photos to show up he'd have to join at a Professional level - which is around $399/year. Or he could simply upload the photos to here and they'll appear in his thread. It's the reason I almost always upload the photos to the website that will be displaying them - the photos will move with the website - they won't suddenly be a bad link, or like Photobucket hosted ones - an annoying message.

Basically Photobucket told everyone to pound sand and proceeded to break the Interwebz.

Last edited by deilenberger; 07-13-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:29 PM
Dmentd is an unknown quantity at this point
Any chance you can upload your pics onto this site?