Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Can't open rear hatch on cayenne?

Old 08-25-2010, 12:29 PM
atp160 is on a distinguished road
Can't open rear hatch on cayenne?

Hello All,

Have a 2004 Cayenne S. Came out of the store today and tried to open the rear hatch and it won't open. Used the button on the key remote and switch on the drivers door. I can hear hatch making a noise as usual like its going to open but it won't. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:46 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
I had that, rear sensor at the cable release is shot, to temporary open, open the rear glass 1st, inside remove small square plastic cover at the bottom center of the tailgate, stick finger in mid center bottom feel lever and lift up , Not to expensive to fix, need part though. GL

Last edited by 2muchtime; 08-25-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:03 AM
jr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nice
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
I had that, rear sensor at the cable release is shot, to temporary open, open the rear glass 1st, inside remove small square plastic cover at the bottom center of the tailgate, stick finger in mid center bottom feel lever and lift up , Not to expensive to fix, need part though. GL
Unlike OP who can't open the glass hatch with both the remote and the button on the driver's door, my CTT glass hatch opens with the former but not the latter. Same rear sensor at the cable release?

Old 08-26-2010, 06:59 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jr1966
Unlike OP who can't open the glass hatch with both the remote and the button on the driver's door, my CTT glass hatch opens with the former but not the latter. Same rear sensor at the cable release?
I haven't had both but it could possibly be the same electronic sensor that opens both? I'll ask my tech guy and let you know.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:53 AM
atp160 is on a distinguished road
Thank you 2muchtime, your recommendation worked. I open the glass and crawled in, popped the cover off and used a screwdriver to push the latch to open the hatch. Am ordering the sensor, any recommendations where to order from? Thank you again, Fred

Old 08-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Try Suncoast (on this board) or local P dealer

Old 08-27-2010, 10:38 AM
nelsonmx is on a distinguished road
I haven't had both but it could possibly be the same electronic sensor that opens both? I'll ask my tech guy and let you know.
I have essentially the same issue but it is intermittent. The hatch works fine for months and then all of a sudden it won't open.

I use the manual release and when I close the hatch it starts working again. I have the workshop manual for the car but there isn't much info on the hatch electronics.....I would be very interested to learn where the sensor is if your tech guy could let us know......Also a part number would be great!

Just one other piece of info: My 2004 CS has an actuator at the lower latch. I believe it is referred to as a retraction actuator. There is nothing on this in my manual.....

Bob

Old 08-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by nelsonmx
I have essentially the same issue but it is intermittent. The hatch works fine for months and then all of a sudden it won't open.

I use the manual release and when I close the hatch it starts working again. I have the workshop manual for the car but there isn't much info on the hatch electronics.....I would be very interested to learn where the sensor is if your tech guy could let us know......Also a part number would be great!

Just one other piece of info: My 2004 CS has an actuator at the lower latch. I believe it is referred to as a retraction actuator. There is nothing on this in my manual.....

Bob
The window latch and the lift gate hatch are 2 different switches, the switch for the handle on the lift gate is attached to the sides of the handle and can be replaced removing the rear carpet panel, cost less than $50 for the handle part. Probably the same but different location for the window latch as well? Part number depends on year of vehicle?

Old 08-27-2010, 03:05 PM
nelsonmx is on a distinguished road
Thanks 2muchtime....I've checked the release switch at the handle it is good...even when the hatch won't open. It's accessible from the outside by the way...

The glass release always works...I have the part numbers for both release switches... When you said sensor I assumed you were referring to a position or limit sensor that I am unaware of...

Bob

Old 08-09-2011, 08:51 AM
jetmax is on a distinguished road
Yesterday my hatch would not work either. The instructions below were great. I only had to move the lever to the left (right if you are in the car) instead of lifting up.

Now I need to know what part number(s) i need and instructions on how to replace.

04 Cayenne S - 128K miles

Old 08-09-2011, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by jetmax
Yesterday my hatch would not work either. The instructions below were great. I only had to move the lever to the left (right if you are in the car) instead of lifting up.

Now I need to know what part number(s) i need and instructions on how to replace.

04 Cayenne S - 128K miles
https://www.suncoastparts.com/mm5/me...de=95561327100

Old 08-16-2011, 12:37 AM
Mrgags is on a distinguished road
This basically means ur lock system actuator is failing. Happened on my 09' turbo s on a trip to New York. gas door n trunk release both failed, while the rest of the car was fine, I made it from ny to va on less than half a tank of gas, was replaced under warranty

Old 08-19-2011, 05:41 PM
cmoore1 is on a distinguished road
MRGAGS: In case you're not aware--there is a manual release for the gas door behind the removeable panel on the inside of the car opposite the gas door. It tells where to find it in the manual. It's behind the cd changer.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:26 PM
ohboy is on a distinguished road
I have this problem too. The release button on the door and on the key fob does'nt work but the button on the hatch works. any ideas?

Old 08-25-2014, 01:34 PM
Saviguel is on a distinguished road
I am having same issue. However I can't open the hatch manually! Attempted moving lever to the right (When facing door from inside) as well as up and left. I think I have applied enough force or I am not doing it correctly. Help

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can't open rear hatch on cayenne?