6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Cayenne 955/957 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-13/)
-   -   Differences between the 04 & 05 cayenne turbo (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne-955-957/225078-differences-between-04-05-cayenne-turbo.html)

Shaps 10-03-2010 01:13 PM

Differences between the 04 & 05 cayenne turbo

I'm researching out the right cayenne for me. It seems that the 04 cayenne turbo has a larger complaint list of repairs and problems compared to the 05, which from what I've seen has had very little problems? Did they made changes in 05 to correct 04 problems or does there just happen to be less complaints? 06 seems to jump the price 8-10k for a turbo with roughly the same miles, but I cant see any major differences between an 05 & 06?

Thanks

OCNYPORSCHE 10-03-2010 05:04 PM

They did make some "changes" to the 05. People call 03 "alphas" and 04 "betas".

I believe the major "change" was fixing the cardan shaft in the 05. I do not see that with 05 owners. 05 and up are very good imho.

Cole 10-04-2010 06:52 AM

The only change I know of is the PCM 2.1 in later 05s vs the PCM 2.0 in the 04s.

I think Porsche sold a much larger number of 04s than 05 or 06. That is the real reason you see more complaints.

There are simply more 04s. Sales dropped off in 05 which prompted the release of the Turbo S and Titanium editions for late 05 and 06. Sales were so low in 06 that they stopped production to design a facelift version for 08+.

Shaps 10-04-2010 11:41 AM

Thanks guys. So no real reason to pay the extra $$ for a 06 vs an 04 with equal options and miles unless I want a newer build?

Guess I'm trying to gauge how heavy repairs are going to be. Right now I have a gs400 which has had no issues at all, but prior to that it was an Audi S4 turbo. I loved that thing to death, but the constant scare of blowing the turbos and repair costs lead me away to a lexus. It racked up nearly 10k in 2 years of ownership.

Besides the higher cost for maintainence, how would you rate a 04 turbo in terms of reliablity? Would you recommend trying to pick up an extended warranty?

Cole 10-04-2010 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Shaps (Post 2997538)
.... prior to that it was an Audi S4 turbo. I loved that thing to death, but ...

Keep in mind the B5 Audi S4 is one of the most temperamental and expensive cars on earth to maintain and mod. I had one for 5 years and it cost me a forture. :mad:

The CTT is a MUCH more reliable car.

There is no significant or specific differneces between 03-06 other than the NAV itself.

Several parts went through revisions over the years and you are more likely to have the latest revisions on the newer models. The exception being that those parts have usually been repaired on earlier versions so those 03-04 models might already have the latest revisions. Good examples of this would be the driveshaft. Although, its only about a $500 part and fairly easy DIY if you have to replace it.

What I think it really boils down to is the price differential you are talking about and your willingness and ability to deal with a couple potential problems. (that honestly ANY of the model years could face since not all "revised" parts have been the end all solution to a given problem. So an 05 for example could have revision 1.0 of a part, an 06 might have revision 2.0 but the latest version might actually be 3.0, follow?)

I think the "Sweet spot" for pricing is with the 05s since they have the DVD based nav. However, I would not pass up a deal on a 03-04.

The list of know issues on these is pretty short, and most of those are farily "reasonably" priced cures compared to the value the vehicle brings. (unlike the B5 S4 that can just suck $5K out of your pocket for no good reason and never *really* have the issue fixed:cool:)

Shaps 10-04-2010 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cole (Post 2997551)
Keep in mind the B5 Audi S4 is one of the most temperamental and expensive cars on earth to maintain and mod. I had one for 5 years and it cost me a forture. :mad:

The CTT is a MUCH more reliable car.

There is no significant or specific differneces between 03-06 other than the NAV itself.

Several parts went through revisions over the years and you are more likely to have the latest revisions on the newer models. The exception being that those parts have usually been repaired on earlier versions so those 03-04 models might already have the latest revisions. Good examples of this would be the driveshaft. Although, its only about a $500 part and fairly easy DIY if you have to replace it.

What I think it really boils down to is the price differential you are talking about and your willingness and ability to deal with a couple potential problems. (that honestly ANY of the model years could face since not all "revised" parts have been the end all solution to a given problem. So an 05 for example could have revision 1.0 of a part, an 06 might have revision 2.0 but the latest version might actually be 3.0, follow?)

I think the "Sweet spot" for pricing is with the 05s since they have the DVD based nav. However, I would not pass up a deal on a 03-04.

The list of know issues on these is pretty short, and most of those are farily "reasonably" priced cures compared to the value the vehicle brings. (unlike the B5 S4 that can just suck $5K out of your pocket for no good reason and never *really* have the issue fixed:cool:)

Ah its great to meet someone who has owned both. Yeah I had the 2000 S4. As you know, the thing is a serious love/hate that eventually lead me away from German rides for a while, but am bored with the Lexus. I'm happy to hear the Cayenne nothing like that.

That was the other question, with the S4 there wasn't a fix for the faulty parts, just kept replacing them over and over. Sounds like I may be a little more skeptical than I should be based on my prior S4 experience.

I'm looking at this one right now and may go test drive today. http://www.plazamotorsaz.com/showroo...-Cayenne-Turbo

I wanted the saddle leather w/wood, but this looks clean as well for a good price.

Cole 10-04-2010 01:06 PM

Just an interesting read.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...mentid=1135149

Looks like a pretty nice CTT in your link. One thing to consider is that at that 60K mile mark some things might need to be done in short order. (brakes, coils, drive shaft, coolant pipes if not done, control arms). I would check for history on this stuff if you can. Or at least be prepared to do the stuff. Most of it is just kinda maint stuff that should be kept up on.

Kinda curious why it has a single exit exhaust as a Turbo. Most have dual on each side. Might just be an early version quirk.

See the white sticker in this picture? It has a bunch of 3 digit option codes on it. Ask for a close up of the sticker or all the codes. There is a code decoader at renntech.org that will let you know all the options it really came with, up and over the standard Turbo stuff. (looks like it at least has a dual battery, rear sun shades, tow package(confirm its factory with the options codes)) In the grand scheme of things a "lightly optioned" turbo. But seems to have some of the key ones.

http://images8.ecarlist.com/photos/1...399/640/45.jpg

Shaps 10-04-2010 01:23 PM

Thanks for that valuable tip, I'll get a close up pic of that tag on the ones I go see. Unfortunately, this was sold so the hunt continues. I didn't think it would be so hard to find the right price/package combo.

What do you thing about after market extended warranties on these? Worth it?

Cole 10-04-2010 01:32 PM

Sorry. No real idea on the aftermarket warranties. I can tell you that I researched and researched warranties while shopping for my Cayenne after having the S4.

In the end. I decided to go "naked" on it. Simply to pocket the money and risk the repairs.

The list of what was NOT covered or NOT clearly defined vs. the cost of them was always the sticking point. I had also noticed that several "service plan" companies have gone out of business in recent years. They have to still be around to pay.