Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Hello Porsche world & question on 05 cayenne turbo

Old 03-01-2012, 11:27 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Hello Porsche world & question on 05 cayenne turbo

Hello all. This is my first time here. Considering 05 cayenne turbo with about 70k on it. Anything you could suggest I check before committing?
Any maintenance recommendations from you experienced folks?
I am mechanically inclined (would like to think so), and wonder about complexity of typical maintenenance items for this car.
Anything you would recommend to watch out for (aka stay away from feature wise on the car)?

Help very appreciated. Thank you.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:39 AM
jrblackbox is on a distinguished road
PPI for starters

Old 03-02-2012, 07:05 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
i was able to access the vehicle service records via carfax.
it stated the car was serviced and suspension was serviced in Jan 2010.

How much would a typical PPI run if you go to a Porsche dealer?
Any opinions on going to dealer vs non dealer shop?

Old 03-02-2012, 09:30 AM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
I just bought an 05 CTT from another state (I did not get to see it myself before buying). I suggest having a PPI done by a recommended independent Porsche shop. I asked around on the forums and found a great shop. The owner of the shop did the PPI for me. Checked all the usual stuff and specifically verified that the coolant pipes were upgraded. I just had mine delivered a couple days ago. I am VERY happy so far. The fact that I was able to speak on the phone with the owner of the shop (with the CTT in front of him) and not only get the results of the PPI but his overall opinion on the truck (which he also test drove) was what I needed to pull the trigger.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:43 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Better check the issue of Excellence on known Cayenne problems. I have been through all of those and more on mine. However, I am not about to part with it after investing all my time and treasure into it. On can easily dump $15,000 into remedying the known frailties!

Old 03-04-2012, 07:49 AM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
Couple things I'd look at: Tranny leaks, make sure there's no leaks at all, if so it might be the pump seal is/has failed and it's expensive to fix ($1800 +). There's a lot of under covers on the Cayenne that may hide leaks, so may need to take them off. Also make sure that your p/s steering rack is not leaking. This is also an expensive fix.

The Cayenne has lots of options. So make sure they all work. If something was wrong...I didn't know it until after a month later when I found it!

Make sure the lights aren't jacked up, meaning flickering and crap. They shouldn't flicker!! Make sure all the tools are in the back under the tire compartment..I hate when that stuff is missing. Sounds like others have mentioned the coolant pipes, but it's possible your CTT with 70K hasn't had them replaced yet.

Other than that, change oil more often than 1 year or 10K miles! I'd say 5-6K oil changes are in order, but I change mine every 3.5-4K. Check every 1k miles to make sure your oil level is not low.

Good luck with your new beast!! You'll love it!

Old 03-04-2012, 03:44 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
FYI, one of the two "T" fittings on the back of the engine failed on mine and they trend to fail between 100,000-125,000 miles. These are particular to the turbo models and need replacing as well as the three large plastic pipes ontop of the V8. They are a real PITA.

It appears early 2005 models (which mine is) suffer from more problems than those built in the latter half of the year. It'd take me too long to list all the things I have been through with mine. Let it suffice to say, I know my car. I really like my car and hope to keep it on the road for many years.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:04 AM
I am not sure I quite understand what the 'issue of Excellence' is. Anyone help here? Thanks.

Originally Posted by gr8ful
Better check the issue of Excellence on known Cayenne problems....

Old 03-05-2012, 09:57 AM
It's a magazine and if you're not familiar with it then you are not prepared to buy a Cayenne. That issue told what the common problems were/are. I have experienced most of them with mine. 2005 is a very "iffy" year. What month was this particular car built?

Old 03-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Spend some time here searching and reading. There are a lot of things posted.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like you've got a good headstart, but here is my list of things that I'd expect/address on a used Cayenne purchase:

- Coolant pipes. These will fail eventually if they haven't been replaced with the metal ones.
- Get a good pre-purchase inspection. This will run you $300 or so, but could save you lots of money and headaches down the line.
- Cardan shaft. These can fail, and I'd want to know if it had been replaced on the car in question.
- Coils. If you're on the original coils, you'll probably need new ones fairly soon.
- Water pump. This item typically wears out at about this mileage. Be prepared to replace it.
- Fuel pump(s). One or both of the fuel pumps is likely to need replacement in the near future.
- Condition of brakes and tires. These vehicles EAT brakes and tires, and they aren't cheap to replace.
- Full maintenance records. These can typically only be had from the previous owner. Porsche dealerships don't maintain a database of repairs, so even if work was performed at a dealer, you won't be able to access the records.
- Air suspension. This seems to have been addressed in this case, and it's really not that much of a big deal. These systems need to have the pump rebuilt occasionally, and it's not too expensive. The actual suspension components are pretty reliable, unlike old Audi Allroads.
- PCM/navigation screen. If it's really dim or appears not to function properly, then it's going to need replacement soon. They are not cheap to replace.
- Horns. The horns in the Cayenne are behind the front bumper, and are mounted such that they capture and hold water, which corrodes the inner parts and they stop functioning. I'm on my third set. Check to see if the horn works.
- Suspension bushings. If you hear rattling from the front suspension when going over bumps, then your bushings are probably worn and in need of replacement. This isn't uncommon.
- Check for leaks. Cayennes actually use the same RMS as the 996. While leaks aren't common, they aren't out of the question.
- Oil consumption. Turbos in particular can consume as much as a quart of oil every 1,500 miles. This isn't necessarily bad, but it does require the owner to religiously check and maintain the oil levels in the car.

That's all I can think of right now. I'll post more if they come to me.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:24 PM
that is some good stuff...thank you Dennis C.
I am learning and reading from here. Not in a rush to buy at all. i am perfectly fine with waiting to get just what I want. These will help me during the check out process and when doing inspection.
If anyone has other stuff to add, that would be great. Thanks a lot for the help.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
No worries. My list isn't intended to scare you off. I love my Cayenne S. I'm up to 102K miles, and it has been a great vehicle. They aren't the cheapest to keep on the road, but they aren't that expensive either if you maintain them and address the key issues. My goal with this list is simply to make you aware of some of the common issues and concerns.

I've replaced the following components on mine: coolant pipes, coils, water pump, primary fuel pump and I've done the air-suspension pump rebuild. I haven't replaced my cardan shaft. I haven't addressed my front suspension bushings, but they are starting to rattle and I think that repair is coming soon.

Enjoy the shopping!

Old 03-07-2012, 07:42 AM
not scared off at all. Most cars come with some baggage repairs wise. With today's technology, even the locally (American) made cars aren't cheap to fix. Price you pay for having more goodies in your ride.

The list you provided is a good check that I will cross reference with the PPI shop. Something I can also use for negotiations with the dealer. So not at all - I am not scared.
I have owned cars for a long time and am not afraid of doing some of the less complex stuff myself (speaking of which - I wonder where is a good place to locate the cayenne service manual).
I wont touch engine rebuild, or tranny rebuild, but the smaller stuff is not that difficult (time consuming - prep wise and execution).

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Dennis C
No worries. My list isn't intended to scare you off. I love my Cayenne S. I'm up to 102K miles, and it has been a great vehicle. They aren't the cheapest to keep on the road, but they aren't that expensive either if you maintain them and address the key issues. My goal with this list is simply to make you aware of some of the common issues and concerns.

I've replaced the following components on mine: coolant pipes, coils, water pump, primary fuel pump and I've done the air-suspension pump rebuild. I haven't replaced my cardan shaft. I haven't addressed my front suspension bushings, but they are starting to rattle and I think that repair is coming soon.

Enjoy the shopping!

Old 03-07-2012, 10:12 AM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dennis C
Sounds like you've got a good headstart, but here is my list of things that I'd expect/address on a used Cayenne purchase:

- Coolant pipes. These will fail eventually if they haven't been replaced with the metal ones.
- Get a good pre-purchase inspection. This will run you $300 or so, but could save you lots of money and headaches down the line.
- Cardan shaft. These can fail, and I'd want to know if it had been replaced on the car in question.
- Coils. If you're on the original coils, you'll probably need new ones fairly soon.
- Water pump. This item typically wears out at about this mileage. Be prepared to replace it.
- Fuel pump(s). One or both of the fuel pumps is likely to need replacement in the near future.
- Condition of brakes and tires. These vehicles EAT brakes and tires, and they aren't cheap to replace.
- Full maintenance records. These can typically only be had from the previous owner. Porsche dealerships don't maintain a database of repairs, so even if work was performed at a dealer, you won't be able to access the records.
- Air suspension. This seems to have been addressed in this case, and it's really not that much of a big deal. These systems need to have the pump rebuilt occasionally, and it's not too expensive. The actual suspension components are pretty reliable, unlike old Audi Allroads.
- PCM/navigation screen. If it's really dim or appears not to function properly, then it's going to need replacement soon. They are not cheap to replace.
- Horns. The horns in the Cayenne are behind the front bumper, and are mounted such that they capture and hold water, which corrodes the inner parts and they stop functioning. I'm on my third set. Check to see if the horn works.
- Suspension bushings. If you hear rattling from the front suspension when going over bumps, then your bushings are probably worn and in need of replacement. This isn't uncommon.
- Check for leaks. Cayennes actually use the same RMS as the 996. While leaks aren't common, they aren't out of the question.
- Oil consumption. Turbos in particular can consume as much as a quart of oil every 1,500 miles. This isn't necessarily bad, but it does require the owner to religiously check and maintain the oil levels in the car.

That's all I can think of right now. I'll post more if they come to me.
Great list Dennis. Thanks!

couple of questions:
Suspension bushings, what do I need to replace specifically? My seems like its doing the "thud" thing over pot holes...so I would need to look at these pretty soon.

Air suspension: Should I wait until I have issues or just have it rebuilt now? I have no idea if its been rebuilt.

Fuel Pumps: what are the symptoms of a failing fuel pump??? Do they both work together all the time? This might explain my lean afr conditions that I am seeing while in boost (atleast leaner than I would expect).

Horns: Same issue here...sounds like more like whimper than a tough beast horn. lol Any aftermarket variations for this that you know of??

Thanks Dennis!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hello Porsche world & question on 05 cayenne turbo