6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Cayenne 955/957 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-13/)
-   -   Stripped threads on engine torque arm? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne-955-957/343140-stripped-threads-engine-torque-arm.html)

BamaScoot 07-29-2014 03:38 PM

Stripped threads on engine torque arm?

Not sure if that's what it's called, referring to the arm on the top passenger side of the engine. Changed out the spark plugs (WOW what a difference!) and checked the coils (all 07 but all good) but couldn't get the lower two bolts off for this thing. Got the top just fine, but the lowers would spin then "slip" as if they are cross threaded. Could this have happened by the shop over-tightening? Any suggestions in getting them out? Would really like to change that 8th plug...

gh0stman 07-30-2014 02:57 AM

Are you refering to where the torque arm bolt to the bracket or to the body? When I swapped out my coolant tank I had to remove it from the body and removed the whole assy.

gh0stman 07-30-2014 03:03 AM

If memory serves me right there are 3 or 4 bolts holding the bracket in and one of them requires removeal of headlight.

BamaScoot 07-30-2014 07:53 AM

I'm talking about the ones you have to remove to get to the coil/plug... the ones on the engine side.

gh0stman 07-30-2014 01:32 PM

Ouch, I hope its not as bad as it sounds. Dont see why people dont use anti-seize on bolts that see heat change.

BamaScoot 07-30-2014 01:55 PM

It's not seized. It spins freely. Just feels like it's slipping inside there when it gets to a certain point, as if it is stripped. I have some needle nose vice grips but they're too fat to get down in the hole. Worst case scenario I'll sacrifice a socket, put a dab of JB weld inside it and let it mate with the bolt then apply pulling force while turning. That should help it "jump" the stripped thread. Hopefully, at least...

XR4Tim 07-30-2014 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by BamaScoot (Post 4165212)
It's not seized. It spins freely. Just feels like it's slipping inside there when it gets to a certain point, as if it is stripped. I have some needle nose vice grips but they're too fat to get down in the hole. Worst case scenario I'll sacrifice a socket, put a dab of JB weld inside it and let it mate with the bolt then apply pulling force while turning. That should help it "jump" the stripped thread. Hopefully, at least...

Can't you just pull up on the bracket while loosening the bolts to keep tension on them? You'll have to alternate between bolts, but it should work.

BamaScoot 07-30-2014 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by XR4Tim (Post 4165268)
Can't you just pull up on the bracket while loosening the bolts to keep tension on them? You'll have to alternate between bolts, but it should work.

I did try that but wasn't able to get it to work. Between leaning over the hood and using one hand to ratchet I couldn't get much upward leverage on it. Guess I should try again with a buddy helping first...

jdubbya 07-30-2014 04:06 PM

Not to sound like a smart ass, but are you sure the bolt is spinning and you don't just have the wrong socket? Looking at a pic they don't look like regular hex head bolts but I'm not sure.

Edit: looking at a pic again they sure look like External torx. Here is a DIY on how to change plugs but he doesn't really say much about the bracket... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...placement.html

mtnrat 07-30-2014 04:23 PM

THey are not a regular hex head. Not sure what they are called, but an 8mm six point socket worked perfectly for me.

BamaScoot 07-30-2014 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by jdubbya (Post 4165320)
Not to sound like a smart ass, but are you sure the bolt is spinning and you don't just have the wrong socket? Looking at a pic they don't look like regular hex head bolts but I'm not sure.

Edit: looking at a pic again they sure look like External torx. Here is a DIY on how to change plugs but he doesn't really say much about the bracket... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...placement.html

No worries on being a smartass, it's a legit query. I have a 60 piece torx set and yes was using the correct torx socket. There are four bolts holding the large bracket down. Got the top two out no problem, just the bottom two are giving me an issue.

jdubbya 07-30-2014 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by BamaScoot (Post 4165332)
No worries on being a smartass, it's a legit query. I have a 60 piece torx set and yes was using the correct torx socket. There are four bolts holding the large bracket down. Got the top two out no problem, just the bottom two are giving me an issue.

Just hard to tell how some folks will take that kind of question! :)

I'd try lightly wedging a pry bar under it to help get leverage. I hate when stuff like that happens. I'm trying to get the headlight switch out and can't get it to budge. Supposed to be so simple!!

Bigbuzuki 07-30-2014 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by jdubbya (Post 4165467)
Just hard to tell how some folks will take that kind of question! :)

I'd try lightly wedging a pry bar under it to help get leverage. I hate when stuff like that happens. I'm trying to get the headlight switch out and can't get it to budge. Supposed to be so simple!!

Headlight switch access may be better if you remove the dash side panel for the fuses. You can get access to the back of the switch from there.

gh0stman 07-31-2014 02:49 AM

Worst case you could (since this cayenne for you has been a B word) drive it off a cliff and collect insurance. If might knock the bolt free. LOL

jdubbya 07-31-2014 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bigbuzuki (Post 4165509)
Headlight switch access may be better if you remove the dash side panel for the fuses. You can get access to the back of the switch from there.

Don't wanna hijack Bamma's thread but I tried pulling the cover too. First why is there not an easier way to remove that cover? Second, I still couldn't get the headlight switch out.

I'll play with it some more tonight!