6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Cayenne 955/957 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-13/)
-   -   Intake confusion? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne-955-957/346135-intake-confusion.html)

Drk Knight 09-03-2014 09:56 PM

Intake confusion?

I am in the middle of servicing my CS (oil, filters, etc) when I thought it would be a good time to change my intake to something a little more performance oriented. Some say BMC drop ins are more than sufficient in supplying a power gain, and others have said there is no noticeable difference until you do a full cold air intake system such as AP.

So my question is, how much of a difference in power is there between BMC drop ins and a full intake?

And if the full intake is the better choice, I would love to purchase one from a fellow member :D

jdubbya 09-03-2014 10:04 PM

I'd love to find a larger intake like a couple members here have fabbed up. I have the metal skills but no welding experience or tools. I'm thinking about looking into getting the parts and finding someone to weld it up.

jdubbya 09-03-2014 10:08 PM

This one looks great, I love the diverter valves right there for easy access too... https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4185692

Drk Knight 09-03-2014 10:15 PM

I did see that one once before, setup came out great. I just don't think the time and work to make one is worth the outcome for a naturally aspirated CS like mine. I would much rather buy a used setup from a fellow member and bolt on. (cant bring myself to spend 5-600 on a new intake thats basically 2 foot of pipe and $100 in 2 filters)

jdubbya 09-03-2014 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Drk Knight (Post 4188546)
I did see that one once before, setup came out great. I just don't think the time and work to make one is worth the outcome for a naturally aspirated CS like mine. I would much rather buy a used setup from a fellow member and bolt on. (cant bring myself to spend 5-600 on a new intake thats basically 2 foot of pipe and $100 in 2 filters)

That is true for a CS. For my CTT I think it would be a great upgrade!

gh0stman 09-04-2014 03:22 AM

I think as long as you can get a CAI with the side shields you will be better off in the performance dept. However, most I have seen are in the 500-600 range. I think you would be better off with BMC's. I know there is a company that makes a CAI for the CS in the tempting price range but there are no shields or anything to prevent hot engine compartment air from being sucked in.

loxxrider 09-04-2014 04:20 AM

My honest opinion is that intakes don't really give an appreciable gain on the CTT. I can't speak for a CS. If there is any gain, it is so small that you wont likely feel it. The only reason for intakes is to better hear the turbos or intake side of the engine in general. If you really want different filters though, ECS tuning is currently offering another drop-in option similar to BMC.

Also, what jdubbya were charge pipes, not intakes.

BamaScoot 09-04-2014 07:44 AM

Since you're N/A just go with drop-in filters. The gain of a full CAI system will be negligible.

Drk Knight 09-04-2014 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by loxxrider (Post 4188599)
ECS tuning is currently offering another drop-in option similar to BMC.

Saw that the other day actually, they're called Pipercross if I remember correctly. I was hesitant about them since they require a little oiling and I don't want the MAF sensors to get messed up. Are the BMC filters oiled?

gh0stman 09-05-2014 03:24 AM

I want to say they are not from what I have seen.

wintermute 09-05-2014 12:11 PM

My BMC filters are indeed oiled. My local Service Manager recommends to give them a light coating and leave it for a few days to soak.

Mine vehicle has had BMC's since '07 and 260,000 kms is still going, on it's original MAF sensor i believe.

Drk Knight 09-05-2014 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by wintermute (Post 4189565)
My BMC filters are indeed oiled. My local Service Manager recommends to give them a light coating and leave it for a few days to soak.

Mine vehicle has had BMC's since '07 and 260,000 kms is still going, on it's original MAF sensor i believe.

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll go with the BMC's since they seem to be a trusted brand.

geetee 09-07-2014 07:06 PM

don't buy pipercross....I had a chance to buy them for 40 bucks...some clearance event...I threw them away...what a pos

Zuffenhausen955 09-07-2014 07:59 PM

You can get the Ram_Filter foam CAI for under $200/set. The only issue is you still need to fabricate the heat shields. I used a high-density(10gal +) plastic trash can, cut it in half, screwed the OEM airbox's heatshields on the outside of the trash can tub and secured the base, by re-creating the dowel peg mounts(drywall screw sleeve). The result works and the smog guys had no clue of the mods....