Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Used 2009-2013 Cayanne, X5, or Touareg?

Old 05-01-2017, 02:13 PM
jdaddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Used 2009-2013 Cayanne, X5, or Touareg?

Been driving a 2001 X5 3.0 since new. Got 193K on it and keep it very well maintained. It and has not any major (engine, drive train failures) issues. Yes all the normal BMW issues but most started after 140K. Just sold a 95 525I w/ 198K that I bought used at around 80K 12 yrs ago. No major issues with that car either. So I'm feeling fairly loyal to the BWM brand for endurance. They also drive well. I am a drivers driver and have a stock car racing back ground '85-'95 along with Skip Barber training. So I usually drive cars fairly hard. I also own a '78 Porsche 911SC w/ 53K on it, along with some club track time I put about 1000 mls on it a yr. It was a hand me down from my father 21 yrs ago. He bought it new along with 2 others 911s, a '69 and '72, over the years of my childhood. So I'm also loyal to any thing Porsche as well. As a Realtor and a driver I've enjoyed the X5 for all the situations I get in. Now finally selling the X5 and am looking at a used SUV, something in the $23-30K price range. Don't want new just due to the amount of value drop off after lot roll off, and my SUV is more of a work horse. We use the 2016 Toy Tacoma for weekend fun. So after reading dozens of posts and threads about all the comparisons between Treg vs Cayenne, Cayenne vs X5, 3.0 vs 4.4, S or GTS vs Base, etc... So, between 2009-2013 w/ 40-70K mls for a Cayenne, X5 or Treg seems to be my range of $23-30K. Yes, I have driven all, not all variations of course. I think I'm close to a decision but would love thoughts of owners of those yrs of those 3 SUVs.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:41 PM
Porscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud of
1st Gen Treg, you'll fall in love...

Old 05-10-2017, 12:57 PM
Domino is on a distinguished road
I've had x5 2002 4.4i. Pretty dynamic ride, but sold it after 10 months because I hated all the rattle inside. It was like an earthquake in a tool shed - almost everything in that box was making noises.
Few times had a chance to drive Touaregs, 2005 3.6, 2006 5.0TDI - 3.6 was a bit too weak for that curb, 5.0 was a spine crusher, but only at the start. Quite nice interior, soft and silent.
Now I'm cruising in CS 2003 V8. That is my type of ride. But now I'm in the market for CTTS, cause ***-dyno gets used to power quite fast.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:33 PM
bobc2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
My son just totalled ,y 2003 X5 Mule and I was very saddened. I took all my money and picked up an 2005 cayanne S I love it.

bobc

Old 02-21-2018, 05:08 PM
drmindbender is an unknown quantity at this point
If you want a hard worker with VW service (more plentiful and less cost) get a Touareg. But don't get the treg if you like driving your Porsches...I have a 08 CS and it does things no other SUV can do as far as ripping up the pavement...the experience is not like a truck but very much like a muscle car...except that in the curves you have Porsche suspension underneath instead of Detroit Iron. I enjoy driving my CS way more than the Camaros that I have driven...

The only thing that comes close to the Cayenne is the new Range Rover...NO other SUV comes even close to the road-handling capability of the Porsche. Plus the Cayenne is no slouch off road either!!

I would suggest getting one fully loaded with PDCC, PCM2.1 or better, tech/sport package(s), comfort lighting...My 08 S had a sticker price of $87k, but I just bought it in Jan 18 with 85k miles for $18k. I added the 3/36k aftermarket warranty because Porsche parts are expensive...after 3 years I should be competent enough to DIY stuff, like a proper toy. For now it is my Daily Driver for the wife, so reliability is important to me.

Old 02-09-2019, 04:08 PM
Dariopks is an unknown quantity at this point
If you want a V8, do not get a Cayenne unless you live in an area where winters are not severe. Cold starts will cause cylinder scores eventually. High incident rates on these cars and the fix is a new engine...

Old 02-11-2019, 08:34 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
I know this happened to you, and sorry, but anytime you buy any car, something can go wrong.
It should be noted that to say there is a high incidence of this occurring, is a great stretch. There are many variables, not only cold temperature.
You can ask thousands of V8 cayenne owners who would swear by its reliability.
Personally, I think this car is super reliable, but you have to maintain it to reap rewards of reliability.

Originally Posted by Dariopks
If you want a V8, do not get a Cayenne unless you live in an area where winters are not severe. Cold starts will cause cylinder scores eventually. High incident rates on these cars and the fix is a new engine...

Old 02-12-2019, 08:12 AM
Dariopks is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ciaka
I know this happened to you, and sorry, but anytime you buy any car, something can go wrong.
It should be noted that to say there is a high incidence of this occurring, is a great stretch. There are many variables, not only cold temperature.
You can ask thousands of V8 cayenne owners who would swear by its reliability.
Personally, I think this car is super reliable, but you have to maintain it to reap rewards of reliability.
You are probably right. The problem starts when you’re part of the % of cars that develop this problem. I was quoted $22k to fix it... 😂

Just search “cylinder scoring” without mention Porsche and what is the only brand associated with that issue you find? Porsche... 😔

And I don’t believe maintenance was a factor and I do the maintenance on my vehicles myself. Have a BMW 328 that runs like a champ no matter the temperature outside and a Porsche 911 that I am praying doesn’t blow up before I sell it...

Old 02-12-2019, 10:27 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
I agree if it happens to you, it sucks. However i know half a dozen Canadians who own a V8 Cayenne, and their temperatures are routinely well below -15C, and none have ever seen anything you describe, all praising their vehicles.
You are a small sample of the population. So are the half dozen owners in Canada I know. However to say Cayenne is a not a reliable car is a huge stretch.
For all we know you could have bought a lemon. Maybe previous owner had abused car.
Yes, searched 'cylinder scoring' and the main make associated with it was Toyota and other flat 6es.
Knowing what you had said, I would still pick the Cayenne with eyes closed over any of the competition (well, after a thorough PPI, as I always do for any pre owned vehicle, and at a reputable Porsche shop). That goes for BMW, Lexus, Toyota, etc, etc.
I to fix my own cars and can say, maintenance, PLUS treatment of cars go hand in hand, to how the car treats you back, with a bit of random mix in it of luck.
Sorry you do not like your Cayenne. Maybe you should consider selling it to get a BMW (or maybe a Volks), and stick with them if they suit you well. Take care.

Originally Posted by Dariopks

You are probably right. The problem starts when you’re part of the % of cars that develop this problem. I was quoted $22k to fix it... ��

Just search “cylinder scoring” without mention Porsche and what is the only brand associated with that issue you find? Porsche... ��

And I don’t believe maintenance was a factor and I do the maintenance on my vehicles myself. Have a BMW 328 that runs like a champ no matter the temperature outside and a Porsche 911 that I am praying doesn’t blow up before I sell it...