Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Zero luck selling Cayenne S... Are they worthless?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 09:40 PM
Brewski88 is on a distinguished road
Zero luck selling Cayenne S... Are they worthless?

So I recently decided to sell my 2005 Cayenne S. Priorities are changing and I need a truck.

203,000KM. It's in fantastic shape. Body is perfect, interior perfect, runs strong but occasionally puffs a bit of blue on startup and also the CEL light is on for an Evap valve being sticky... All of this is disclosed in the ad. Trying to sell in Alberta Canada.

So my question is, what is a CS worth? I sell and have sold in the past lots of things on Kijiji (dirtbikes, cars, furniture etc) so it's not an issue with the ad.

I originally put up for $13,500(Canadian): 1 reply. $12,900: no replies. $11,900: 2 replies. Then $10,200...no replies. Now $9,500 with 1 reply for someone offering $5000. Ad has around 600 hits, so people are looking.

I know the resale value isn't that high but anything under $10k Canadian feels like I'm giving it away.

Thoughts and opinions?

Old 06-25-2017, 11:40 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
i had a 2004 and it was very hard to sell, and mine was turbo. i ended
up not selling because i wasn't going to give that kind of quality away. glws.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:59 PM
Pmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nice
Cayenne's was one of Porsche's most successful models and loads of them on the street. Even with nice care shes got a ton of miles which scares folks. Give it to a charity and tax the tax write off.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:56 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
It probably doubles the difficulty selling it by having the CEL on. People "know" these aren't inexpensive cars to keep running, so buying one where it has a problem going into it - is sheer madness unless you can steal it. Get the CEL cause fixed and shut the light off and bet it sells much easier.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:53 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Just for comparison I've seen a couple 2006 Turbo S for sale for about $13k. I've seen 2004-2005 turbo's for sale for less than $10k. Resale on these is stupid low. Sorry to say it but with as many miles and the issues you're pointing out you probably won't get very close to $10k for it. It sucks but it is the market.

Just for an example, mine is 2005 with power kit, it was $120k new, I got it with only 75k miles and about 10 years old for $25k. Less than 3 years and only ~26k miles later I'd be lucky to get $10-12k for it.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:13 PM
JWicker is an unknown quantity at this point
Your problem as others have pointed out is the CEL. You'll either need to get that fixed, or price it way below what you want. With the mileage, and other problems you described, I'm guessing it's worth maybe $8,000 as is.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:33 AM
gh0stman is on a distinguished road
yeah good luck with selling. I took it in the pants as well when I got rid of mine. I think most that are looking for a cayenne are looking for the 957 or newer. As said before, once the CEL is fixed it should sell better but even then you have a higher mileage vehicle. If its some ungodly expense to get it fixed just disclose it to the buyer and adjust price to fit.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:26 PM
Brewski88 is on a distinguished road
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the input. Agreed, I was being a bit naive thinking the CEL wouldn't be an issue - just because I am used to it now doesn't make it any less scary for a buyer.

My mind has flipped back to "drive it and enjoy it" mode...so we will see.

Interesting idea on the donating to charity for a tax break...not at that stage quite yet but something to think about.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:12 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Brewski88
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the input. Agreed, I was being a bit naive thinking the CEL wouldn't be an issue - just because I am used to it now doesn't make it any less scary for a buyer.

My mind has flipped back to "drive it and enjoy it" mode...so we will see.

Interesting idea on the donating to charity for a tax break...not at that stage quite yet but something to think about.

I've done the donation thing before. Not sure how it works north of the border but down here they tightened things up quite a bit a few years back. Used to be you could just claim "book" value or fair market value. I think now it has to actually be whatever price the charity gets for it when they sell it.

Depending on your tax situation you might be better off just throwing it up on eBay or something and seeing what you can get for it. Just another idea.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:47 AM
gh0stman is on a distinguished road
Worst case you part it out. Its worth a fortune in parts. Just throwing ideas out there.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:46 AM
Alfieg23 is on a distinguished road
Cayenne S

Brewski88,

We purchased our 2005 "S" in June 2014 with 78K miles. The book values were between $16K and $18K then but we negotiated the price down to $12.9K. We have put 41K miles on it and are very happy with the vehicle. I actually prefer the lines on the 955 to the newer models. The "S" has a great combination of performance and comfort. Having all it offers and no car payments is also a plus. My recommendation is, if you can make due with it instead of a truck, keep it and enjoy it.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:41 AM
CHAOS236 will become famous soon enoughCHAOS236 will become famous soon enough
Get a trailer?

Old 07-25-2017, 11:56 AM
Zuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enoughZuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enough
My old 2005 Cayenne S sat on a car lot for 11 months, before finally being sold at a LOSS. People willing to buy them want them dirt cheap. All I know is I paid way too much for my CTT and is now committed to driving it until it falls apart.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:51 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zuffenhausen955
My old 2005 Cayenne S sat on a car lot for 11 months, before finally being sold at a LOSS. People willing to buy them want them dirt cheap. All I know is I paid way too much for my CTT and is now committed to driving it until it falls apart.
How do you sell something at a "LOSS" - did you pay someone to take it away? Any money you got for it is a net gain - not a loss. You probably did sell it for a lot less than you paid for it - but that's the way it is with formerly expensive complex luxury vehicles. They continue depreciating until they reach some bottom dollar value where they're worth more as parts than as a car. Then someday 30 years in the future - the value might start going up when none of them are left.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.