Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

05 CTT - CV Joint (front pass) boot appears damaged

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 10:59 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
05 CTT - CV Joint (front pass) boot appears damaged

Recently went under the car to notice bearing grease (greenish in color), spraying on inside of the wheel.
Location was front passenger side.
Looked closer and found that the CV joint boot on inside, just ahead of the metal strap affixing the cv boot to the axle, was damaged and can see the grease is coming from inside the boot.

So my questions are:
- can I replace just the cv boot (front pass side)? or is it cheaper just to replace joint?
- If have to get axle, any recommended vendors with good price?
- is this a fix now or can wait few days item? I assume can wait for a bit.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:32 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
anyone?

Old 10-18-2017, 07:38 AM
Found a DYI on this site for front axle replace. Click Here to get to it.
Still, want to find out if cv boot only replace is good or not. Not sure if the axle is making louder noises. There are two clamps holding the cv boot. I assume I would need a tool for the clamps. The axle itself is about 200 OEM. Work, I assume few hours on 'easy' speed. More info will be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:06 PM
Domino is on a distinguished road
Removing and fitting was clearly described in that link you provided. Once you get the axle out, cut off clamps and old boot. Remove clamp, pull out shaft(comes out pretty hard), put on new boot with clamps, squeeze in all supplied CV grease, secure your new boot in place, press fitting clamps, reinstall your axle back in place. Done.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:04 PM
My main question was if i should do the boot change or get new axle. I dont think its any noisier, maybe some but very hard to tell. Was thinking a refresh would give me new axles for newer feel at least. Trying to get opinions here.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:00 PM
New axle would definitely be a lot less messy hassle. If it does not make any excessive sounds and still most of grease is in it, you should be fine wit just the boot replacement. About vendors- GKN should be good enough, a bit cheaper option is a Meyle.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:35 AM
The thing is to replace boot only one has to have the metal clamp tool. To get the repair kit and clamp tool, you spend about $100. One axle will cost about that including ship.
So my thinking was if I replace both axles, yes I wont have a tool to keep but may not need it for many years after the replace. Thats why asking opinions on replace axles vs repairing cv boot itself.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:44 AM
Boot costs around 30$, your “clam tool” is a ordinary end cutting pliers that cost about 10$. Where did you found those prices? And complete axle costs around 200$. Those for 100$ you will change once a year. Good luck.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:53 PM
Those clamp pliers are more than 30 if you want to do the job right. I can get genuine axle for 125 shipped.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:20 PM
Then why are there any questions? Do the job right.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:15 AM
Your parents never taught you manners, did they.
Not a very friendly helpful forum member here. If you are not positive and helpful, dont post. Simple.

You are a drag on this forum. Quit it. I will not play your game by replying to any of your posts. Have a good weekend sir.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:21 AM
I really don’t get where you found any kind of insult or what ever made you mad... People really got super sensitive lately. Nothing was meant in negative way, chill. I just asked why you ask opinions on replacing boots when you can get complete axles for price of a sandwich? And I told you to do the job right and replace the axles not the boots. You come and start ****storm on me. Like man, really?! Thanks.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:52 PM
Zuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enoughZuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enough
Great luck, with NAPA MaxDrive GKN axle(2006 CTT). DO NOT use the included bolts! Get the VW Touareg V10 long bolts instead.

Last edited by Zuffenhausen955; 10-21-2017 at 10:14 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.