Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Brakes bedding - coated rotors and pads with break-in compound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 07:46 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Brakes bedding - coated rotors and pads with break-in compound

About to redo my brakes again. Nothing too difficult, mostly time consumption and some patience.

Getting rotors that are coated for corrosion prevention.
Also getting pads (yellow stuff) with the bed in layer.

Would you go bed pads on these new rotors?

My initial thoughts were to:
- Install the new hardware
- Drive normal until the top layer of rotors has been scrubbed off
- Do pad bedding then

My new shoes are below.

For those looking for info, bedding involves getting your brake system up to temp, by normal driving and braking gently to heat them up. Then, you go to about 60mph, and get on your brakes hard (just before abs kicks in) and decelerate until about 10mph (do not fully stop - stopping with very hot brakes can transfer some material onto rotor and bake it in, which can result in vibration when braking, etc).
Then you accelerate back to 60 again and repeat about 10 times. Your brakes will feel like they are fading when you get near the end of process (feel like you have less stopping power - expected).

After that, you drive the car and try not to stop or use brakes so they can cool down. This way, you get the rotors evenly coated with a thin layer of pad material, which maximizes stopping and makes the brakes wear evenly. Each time I do it, my about to be replaced rotors look perfectly flat and very evenly used.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontRotorsAndPads1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	521.0 KB
ID:	516179   Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontRotorsAndPads2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	362.4 KB
ID:	516180   Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontRotorsAndPads3.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	304.7 KB
ID:	516181   Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontRotorsAndPads4.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	362.4 KB
ID:	516182   Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontRotorsAndPads5.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	516183  

Click image for larger version

Name:	RearRotorsAndPads1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	516184   Click image for larger version

Name:	RearRotorsAndPads2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	420.7 KB
ID:	516185   Click image for larger version

Name:	RearRotorsAndPads4.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	516186  

Last edited by ciaka; 11-17-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:51 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
So I allowed the coating to wear off by normal wear, then bedded the brakes. Worked like a charm. All set for now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.