Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Brakes advice needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 01:07 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Brakes advice needed

I updated the look of my rotors/pads, putting in new ones. Old ones still in great shape (rotors) but pads did get worn.

Before swapping, my front pass brake appeared to be binding. Never noticed before but it was. My thoughts initially were (from advice too), that the rotors/pads wore out far and pistons move out too far.

So thoughts on this were if I swap out rotors/pads all issues will go away if that was the cause (new thick rotors/pads).

After swap, same brake binding (front pass).
If I press on brake really hard (even if standing still), I can feel the car impeded and front pass brake binding. However if I then step on the brake hard again (even little harder then initial press), and release, the brake will release and will be fine.
Under normal driving conditions, if I do not get on brakes hard, the brakes are not binding and work OK. But that is as long as I am not getting on them hard.
Swapped out all rotors, pads and all hardware and bolts and sensors.

My suspicions are that I need to replace the brake line to that front pass brake (read that it is possible old lines can collapse during braking). I am kind of thinking that would explain 2nd press releases bind.

Also, I have not flushed brake fluid yet. Old one from 3 years ago sitting in there. There is not much color difference between old and new but enough to notice.

Greatly appreciate input from someone with brakes experience. Thank you.
My new replacement parts shown.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20171211_201557.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	517782  
Old 12-13-2017, 07:06 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Someone out there must have some insight on this. Dont be shy.
My suspicion is as stated above, replace brake line to caliper with new, flush brake fluid.
One thing I am trying to explain - why would old brake fluid cause binding brake? Still fluid, sure lost some of its non compression properties, but still fluid. And I dont see how 'dirt' would get into the system since it is sealed, unless was already there (which I doubt).
Anyone who can address these thought, would be awesome to hear from you.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:48 PM
Eger is on a distinguished road
There may be a problem with brake caliper itself, binding happens because of seized pistons in the caliper.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:17 PM
I thought of it too but if it was seized, it would not get better sometimes and worse other times. Once seized it would keep seizing, and in my situation, I can use braking no problem, but will run into issue if I really step onto the brake. Then if i step on brake just as hard again, that brake will release. Starting to think brake line issue here. Trying to get some expert views here. Thank you.