Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Bose vs. regular system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 08:50 AM
jbsport is on a distinguished road
I am debating the Bose option. Can you please clarify what makes the Bose sound better? I know it will have more bass due to the 200 watt bass enclosure (fake sub), but otherwise, the 11 speaker PCM and the 14 speaker Bose are pretty equal on paper. I know that the 11 speaker PCM with 235 watt does not have the 2.5 inch surround sound speakers, but all the other speakers are pretty much the same... If you remove the 200 watt Bose sub and the 50 watt surround speakers, you pretty much have the same system with 285 watts...

Old 11-01-2011, 09:19 AM
tex94 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by frank69m
Was it really that bad?
IMO, yes. My initial order was for the stock stereo that came with the PCM but after hearing it I changed my order. It really depends on what you listen to. If you are listening to talk radio, satellite radio and occasional MP3s then it is probably fine. I found that music was flat and like what you would hear in a boom box without the Bose.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:33 PM
slw23 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by frank69m
Was it really that bad?
Originally Posted by tex94
IMO, yes. My initial order was for the stock stereo that came with the PCM but after hearing it I changed my order. It really depends on what you listen to. If you are listening to talk radio, satellite radio and occasional MP3s then it is probably fine. I found that music was flat and like what you would hear in a boom box without the Bose.
I have the PCM, non-Bose stereo, and have to respectfully disagree. However, sound is VERY subjective, but I personally feel the stereo is more than adequate. I only listen to FM and primarily, my iPod. There isn't a lot of range, but I can certainly hear the difference in quality from the different bit rate MP3s I have on the iPod. If you're on the fence, I'd splurge for it. Again, more than adequate IMO, but if I was spec'ing another Cayenne- I would probably opt for at least the Bose. $1,600 isn't gonna save the world when you're already spending $60k+.

All this said from someone who just returned a set of Beats Tour earbuds- no way those are worth $150 and twice more than my 2 year old Apple earbuds.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:17 AM
illini-heel is on a distinguished road
I have the Bose option in my '08 Cayenne and do like the sound quality. Like others, I am disappointed by the lack of an aux input and Bluetooth. I have seen options ranging from a complete system rework to a cheap FM modulator. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what is the best cheapest option that has good sound quality? Thanks, Joe

Old 06-14-2015, 06:34 AM
powdercoatmike has a spectacular aura aboutpowdercoatmike has a spectacular aura about
I didn't have the bose in my '13 and don't have it in my '15. I do have the USB and bluetooth and satellite radio and the sound is just fine. As for resale, I got the truck for me, not the next owner, and in the end, it might make the truck a little more sellable if you are selling outright, but it won't affect the value by more than a couple hundred 3-5 years down the line.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:58 AM
I'm not concerned about resale. I am looking for improvements for me. I have a lot of digital music and spend a lot of time in my car. Bluetooth and aux input are pretty much a requirement.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:39 AM
seabrook is infamous around these partsseabrook is infamous around these parts
I love the Bose in my 14'- sounds great!

Old 06-15-2015, 05:44 AM
Originally Posted by seabrook
I love the Bose in my 14'- sounds great!
Seabrook, I love the sound of mine also. What I'm talking about is a lack of functionality (specifically the lack of an auxiliary input and the lack of Bluetooth). I don't want to replace my Bose, I just want to amend it so that the system is fully functional.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:04 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by illini-heel
I have the Bose option in my '08 Cayenne and do like the sound quality. Like others, I am disappointed by the lack of an aux input and Bluetooth. I have seen options ranging from a complete system rework to a cheap FM modulator. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what is the best cheapest option that has good sound quality? Thanks, Joe
You have a 957 and this is the 958 forum. We'd love to help, but you'd probably get more useful information in the 955/957 forum next door.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by gnat
You have a 957 and this is the 958 forum. We'd love to help, but you'd probably get more useful information in the 955/957 forum next door.
My apologies! I used the search function and used 08 Cayenne & Bose as the search terms. Have a good one.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:12 PM
visitador will become famous soon enoughvisitador will become famous soon enough
At the time when I ordered my Cayenne in 2013, I already knew that the PCM came with the upgraded audio system. Would I have bought the Bose? Maybe. However, at that time, I was reaching my budget limit and it was a debate between getting the Bose or the adaptive cruise control. Since I do some long distance driving and listening through my Ipod (yes, you read it right), I decided that I needed the adaptive cruise control more than the Bose.

As far as the debate over resale value, well, I think whether you have premium or premium plus packages affects that more.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:09 AM
2FAST! is on a distinguished road
None of the Cayenne from my dealer has the Bose/Burmeister sound system. I am not an audiophile but I do enjoy music more than talk radios. Is it possible to retrofit the Bose system or at least add a Subwoofer to the car without after market ugly subwoofer enclosures?

Old 06-27-2015, 10:01 PM
KBahn is on a distinguished road
I've just taken delivery of my 2016 Cayenne GTS - and I decided at time of order to stick with the standard audio (I'm in the US so comments may not be relevant elsewhere - just saying'...!) I thought long and hard about whether to go Bose or standard - both previous Porsche's (911/997 and Panny GTS) had the audio packages (Bose / SAT / HDR) and I've always asked myself afterwards - was the extra $$$$ worth it? My last 4 cars have come with Sirius/XM and I've never renewed after the first years inclusive trial is over (I've also got a BMW touring M/C and I only renew the satellite radio on that each year because I can get 6 months for $20 over the summer). So..... I'm really happy with the standard audio on the US spec 2016 CGTS - bass is quite enough for me, still has 11 speakers, good tonal range control through PCM, HD Radio, iPod & AUX connection and control, full Bluetooth, etc, etc. Also remember that Jukebox only stores MP3's, so quality is always compromised unless you plan to take your CD library with you in the car...

Hope that helps - I'm certainly happy I took the standard choice. Just don't ask me if I miss the PGTS V8 / PDK howl and downshifts..... :...(

Old 06-27-2015, 10:28 PM
TGED is on a distinguished road
The Jukebox does not only store MP3s, it stores other formats as well, I use AAC as my songs are purchased from iTunes.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:34 PM
KBahn is on a distinguished road
OK - that's good to know - I thought I'd read that it would only take the one format! Could have saved myself some time converting all my music to MP3!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bose vs. regular system