Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Picking up new to me GTS on Friday!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 07:56 AM
jab23 has a spectacular aura aboutjab23 has a spectacular aura about
Picking up new to me GTS on Friday!

Hi All,

Been a lurker here for a while through many cars (G37, S5, 4.6is, R8....) and thought I'd get more involved this time around. Sold my R8 last December due to lack of use and have gotten really accustomed to the practicality of the X5 which was my first SUV ever. Wanted to combine the attributes of the two and think the GTS will fit the bill nicely. Found a 2014 GTS with 6500 miles on it. White on black alcantara with the black sport edition 21s. I can not wait to pick it up when I get home on Friday.

It's funny though. I am having a little buyers regret. The one I bought has a pretty basic interior. Brushed aluminum, NON multi function wheel (only one I've seen, but at least it's heated). I looked at another one that had the carmine red, carbon trim and carbon multi function wheel and of course it was awesome. It was also more money, had silver wheels (I wanted black), would have needed new tires sooner than later and painted mirrors.

I ultimately chose the more basic interior one because they are putting new tires on it. Giving me the basically new snow tires that were on it when it was traded, but most importantly, it has 7 months longer remaining on the factory warranty. This is important because I only keep cars two or three years and having warranty remaining will help with resale.

Anyway, I'm sure once I get mine and start driving it, all of this will go away. Would have been fine if I never saw the other one! Just thought I'd share my never satisfied, crazy car guy thoughts.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:30 AM
monacojoe is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jab23
Hi All,

Been a lurker here for a while through many cars (G37, S5, 4.6is, R8....) and thought I'd get more involved this time around. Sold my R8 last December due to lack of use and have gotten really accustomed to the practicality of the X5 which was my first SUV ever. Wanted to combine the attributes of the two and think the GTS will fit the bill nicely. Found a 2014 GTS with 6500 miles on it. White on black alcantara with the black sport edition 21s. I can not wait to pick it up when I get home on Friday.

It's funny though. I am having a little buyers regret. The one I bought has a pretty basic interior. Brushed aluminum, NON multi function wheel (only one I've seen, but at least it's heated). I looked at another one that had the carmine red, carbon trim and carbon multi function wheel and of course it was awesome. It was also more money, had silver wheels (I wanted black), would have needed new tires sooner than later and painted mirrors.

I ultimately chose the more basic interior one because they are putting new tires on it. Giving me the basically new snow tires that were on it when it was traded, but most importantly, it has 7 months longer remaining on the factory warranty. This is important because I only keep cars two or three years and having warranty remaining will help with resale.

Anyway, I'm sure once I get mine and start driving it, all of this will go away. Would have been fine if I never saw the other one! Just thought I'd share my never satisfied, crazy car guy thoughts.
save for the lurker stuff i could have written exact same post

i have same car - probably almost identical. you won't be disappointed. assume its a '14?

i do miss MF steering wheel but the old one is terrible. the hybrid one on the 15/16 model is the perfect wheel but came a year too late.

what other options did you get?

Old 04-28-2015, 08:42 AM
It is a 14. It has:

Entry and Drive
PCM
Rear Camera/Park Assist
Bose
Pano Roof
Dynamic Lighting
Hitch (which I wanted)
Lane Change assist
Heated front seats

I've searched endlessly for steering wheel swap options. I really want the new 15/16 wheel, but so far, doesn't look possible.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:49 AM
yeah, don't think its an easy swap unfortunately but at least we got the exhaust goggle button. use it all the time.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:09 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
If you need help figuring out what you want to modify on it, let us know. We got a really good ECU flash and of course lots of deals on parts. A new exhaust and the sound from it would definitely take the little remaining buyers remorse away!

Congrats on the buy, show some pics!

-RyanG

Old 04-29-2015, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by vividracing
If you need help figuring out what you want to modify on it, let us know. We got a really good ECU flash and of course lots of deals on parts. A new exhaust and the sound from it would definitely take the little remaining buyers remorse away!

-RyanG
what benefit does the ECU flash offer on a '14 GTS or are you talking about '15/16?

Old 05-04-2015, 02:30 PM
Well, picked it up on Friday and I absolutely love it. Any questioning whether I bought the right one or any buyers regret is out the window. Busy weekend, so no time for pics. Snapped a quick one in the garage....

Name:  IMG_4612_zpslpfzw9wm.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  115.7 KB

Also did my first mod about an hour after I got it....

Name:  IMG_4609_zpsrddpv47i.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  93.9 KB

Thanks to kechang for his detailed DIY. Took about 5 minutes....

Name:  IMG_4611_zps6hkxku6e.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  99.6 KB

Do have a couple questions for other owners. I've done lots of searching and glanced at the manual with no luck.

1. Can you have just the light strips under the headlights on in the daytime or are the 4 point DRLs always on at the same time?

2. Is a ticking noise at idle that comes and goes normal? I can hear it in the cabin at lights and stop signs. Think it did it in all 4 that I test drove. What is it? Thanks for any info!

I'll share more as I drive it more, but it has plenty of power for me, sounds AMAZING, and has multiple personalities. About the only thing I don't like so far is the brake feel. The pedal travel seems a bit long and the engagement isn't as precise as my old BMW 4.6. Will just take some getting used to I suppose.

Anyway, back to work.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:35 PM
Richard313 is on a distinguished road
congratulations on the new car, looks fabulous.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:20 PM
f30er is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by vividracing

-RyanG
How much does power does the ECU flash give?

Old 05-05-2015, 07:07 AM
i agree. brake feel is very different than BMW

Keep in mind though the car has 8 gears and is downshifting with the brakes vs. prob the 6 gears you had on your BMW. gives it a choppier feeling and there is lot of room before pedal bites. but overall engineering-wise its a scalpel vs. a cleaver when i compare the two trucks

glad you're enjoying - way to hold out for an hour before doing the lights...lol

Old 05-05-2015, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by f30er
How much does power does the ECU flash give?
i already asked and the silence was deafening.

they have one for the 957 GTS (8-10) that only added 15 hp and 20 tq. assume if they have/produce one for 958 pre 14 its similar. hard to get big gains with not turbo/supercharger to work with. GTS is already tuned version of the S engine to begin with...

Last edited by monacojoe; 05-05-2015 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:39 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Great purchase!

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-08-2015, 10:54 AM
Robotpedlr will become famous soon enoughRobotpedlr will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jab23

1. Can you have just the light strips under the headlights on in the daytime or are the 4 point DRLs always on at the same time?
The DRL lights are always on. The only option you have is to turn the light switch to parking lights (one click right of AUTO) and then the light strip is on by itself. At least this is the case with my '15 with LEDs.

Last edited by Robotpedlr; 05-08-2015 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:21 PM
kechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to behold
the 4 point LED and the Light LED bar are different colors, I wouldn't want both on at the same time

Old 05-09-2015, 07:19 AM
Thanks guys. I'd prefer the light bars to be on all the time, but looks like that's not possible.

Any thoughts on the ticking noise at idle when stopped?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Picking up new to me GTS on Friday!