6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Cayenne 958 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne-958-143/)
-   -   winter tire set (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne-958/401540-winter-tire-set.html)

wkearney99 01-04-2017 02:23 PM

winter tire set

3 Attachment(s)
I just got a set of factory winter rims and tires for my 2017 Cayenne GTS.

These being 265/50-R19 Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires on the Porsche 19x8.5" Sport Classics in the Platinum satin color. Upside to the Platinum color is the colored crest center caps were included. Such a bargain, given the ridiculous factory wheel prices!

Attached are a few pix. It's late afternoon winter sun, so the color looks lighter in pictures than in reality. This was at the lowest ride height setting (not all the way down to the loading height). I usually run at this height.

At speed on the highway they're great. No appreciable change in road noise. Comparing cornering performance will have to wait until I get a few miles on them. Cold from the dealer with all that shiny prep on the surface doesn't give them their best grip. A quick blast around a corner showed a little more wheel-spin/traction-control interaction than I'd have gotten on the 20's. It was slightly wet and probably around 48F. So between new tires and relatively warm conditions (for a winter tire compound) I wouldn't have expected them to be the same as the LS2s.

I can't say the 19" size, with the taller sidewall, has softened the ride or not. The 20's have a pretty decent ride. Had I been on 21 or runflats, yeah, I'd expect a change in ride comfort. But 20-19" isn't immediately any softer a ride.

For the rest of the year it'll have the original 275/45-R20 Eagle LS2 all season tires on the 20x9.5" black RS Spyder rims. I'd originally intended to get these rims in the Platinum color. Seeing the Sport Classics in this color makes me think I'd have been OK with it for the Spyders. But both work, and black will probably give me a bit more time between cleanings.

We'll see how the lighter gray color holds up against brake dust, shouldn't take long...

Marpir821 01-04-2017 03:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Love em! Just installed same tires different rims!
Attachment 482560

wkearney99 01-04-2017 04:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Also picked up the tire totes for storage and a storage tree

Haven't tried putting the tires on the tree yet. I'm hoping the spacing on the tree post is wide enough for these things.

deilenberger 01-05-2017 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by wkearney99 (Post 4595066)
Also picked up the tire totes for storage and a storage tree

Haven't tried putting the tires on the tree yet. I'm hoping the spacing on the tree post is wide enough for these things.

Interesting.. how do 4 tires stack up on it? Is the bottom one sitting on the base of the unit? Or is the top one sitting on the top fixture (which seems like it might be a bit precarious..)?

When you get them on it can you give the overall height with your summer tires on it? If it isn't too tall it might solve a storage issue I have with mine.

Oh - also - the center rod - is it two pieces or 4? Given the weight of the 21" rims/tires - that's a fair bit of lift required - although if they were coming out of the back of the P!G it might not be bad...

wkearney99 01-05-2017 02:49 PM

The post is in two pieces and there's four rings. Each tire hangs on a ring. The rings rest on a 1/2" shaft slotted through the post. You remove the shaft and rings above and drop the tires down onto it. One ring, one tire, next ring, next tire, etc. Totaled up I'm sure it's going to be heavy, the 20's with tires are beasts.

I'll see about stacking them up tonight.

wkearney99 01-05-2017 02:58 PM

Meanwhile, after a few hours driving today I had a chance to push the Scorpions. They really don't hold on anywhere nearly as well as the Eagles. With the LS2s I could really get on the throttle coming out of a turn and it'd stay planted. With the Scorpions the rear end tends to break traction just enough to have it step out a little (leftward, while gunning it after making a right turn from a stop). They're definitely not as good on dry surfaces as the Eagles.

Which, I suppose, is probably an OK thing because the way the LS2s hook up tends to encourage delightfully generous applications of throttle in situations where it's probably frowned upon by local authorities. But the >blat< from the Sport Exhaust is soooooo much fun when it upshifts through the gears...

I suppose it'll make me really look forward to putting the LS2s back on come Spring.

MikeL 01-07-2017 12:18 AM

have any of you guys drive these in snow yet? im looking at picking up a set of these or blizzaks for when i goto the mountains. the past few days the mountain i frequent just got 10ft of snow and is expecting much more. im going to order one or the other this weekend but havent decided yet. in assuming the pirelli winters have the mountain/snowflake symbol on them?

958 S 01-07-2017 05:15 AM

In not sure if you are open to other options, but I am on my second set of Conti DWS06. They are all season, but in my opinion are the perfect tire. If you tried the old DWS and just thought they were ok or didn't like them, these newer ones with the 06 designation are much better. Take a look at the reviews on tire rack and you will see I am not alone. I will be buying a set for my wife's later this year too.

wkearney99 01-07-2017 07:19 AM

I wanted a set of factory rims. The price on the rims, tpms, tires and mounting wasn't much higher than just the rims alone. So I've got the Pirelli's on there for now. If/when I need to replace these I'm definitely leaning toward the Blizzaks or the Continentals. But for now I'll keep the Scorpions. There's only 'so many' looks I'm prepared to get from the wife regarding options for toys...

958 S 01-07-2017 07:32 AM

I understand about the wife and had to chuckle a little, I get the same look. The most she says is "anything I need to sign for today"? She knew who she was marrying.

thebland 01-09-2017 01:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just got mine. Ready for northern Michigan!

[SS]Shooter 01-09-2017 02:04 PM

Same tires on mine.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...4bfe69e4c7.jpg

Marpir821 01-09-2017 02:38 PM

I love these tires. Had them on my 09 GTS for 4 winters and have always been great.

wkearney99 01-12-2017 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by wkearney99 (Post 4595355)
The post is in two pieces and there's four rings. Each tire hangs on a ring. The rings rest on a 1/2" shaft slotted through the post. You remove the shaft and rings above and drop the tires down onto it. One ring, one tire, next ring, next tire, etc. Totaled up I'm sure it's going to be heavy, the 20's with tires are beasts.

I'll see about stacking them up tonight.

Well, I finally got around to attempting it... no luck. The post has holes for 9-1/4" spacing. The Eagle LS2s from the Cayenne are each 11.5" wide (mounted and in the totes). I drilled out three of the holes and discovered the top won't be long enough to fit the fourth tire. Well, I drilled the first two holes and then figured out... oops.

I'm going to find a local muffler shop to make me some new pieces. While these beasts are heavy the weight isn't such that I can't heave them up/over a single piece post. You'd have to do that for the top two anyway, so a two-piece post isn't really buying you much other than a reduced size box to ship it initially.

deilenberger 01-12-2017 09:48 PM

Too bad to hear that. Sounds like more trouble than it's worth. My summer tires are 295-35/21's on 10" rims - so my WAG is they're too big too.