Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Looking at used Cayenne Diesel for the wife - need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 04:48 PM
Mathme is on a distinguished road
I have 20k on my '16 Diesel and love it! You won't regret it! I drive mine up to Lake Tahoe quite a bit and it'll do just fine in the Oregon snow...so long as you have good winter tires on it. Driving to/From Tahoe (think sea level up over 7400 of pass and back for 450 miles) last weekend and it returned an average of 30.6mpg according to the trip computer.

As another poster said, the CD uses the same transfer case as the Hybrid bit it shouldn't cause any concern for you. I tow 6,000 pounds of boat and trailer with mine and it will average about 20mpg on the freeway.

Like others, I've been curious to see what will be the result of Dieselgate. If they can fix the problem and NOT negate fuel economy or power, then it shouldn't be an issue. If however, fuel economy OR Power is reduced as a result, then VAG should pay up for that difference...as that's not the pretense the car was purchased under. I'm in the camp that I want my car to be fixed and be fixed right (meaning no loss of power or fuel economy).

If you're seriously in the market for a Diesel, keep an eye on the settlement. I read an article a month or so ago that said Porsche will likely make all of the Diesel's sitting on dealer lots CPOs when they can sell them again...of course, that will then throw a flood of 15-16 Diesels on to the market.

The only drawback I see to the Diesel is the bloody 5k oil change interval. It's too quick...however, maintaining clean oil in an oil-burner is really important.

As also stated above, every CD is CPO for 6/100 warranty. I would however, also expect Porsche to do more than just that for owners...as we've been stuck with this cloud hanging over our heads for going on 1.5 years now.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:14 PM
93RSAmerica is on a distinguished road
I have the 2013 CD 'Otis' that GNAT referred to above. For info on what we have actually done and where we have taken our CD see the 'Meet Otis' article in the December 2016 Pano and the posts at:
http://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-c...meet-otis.html
The concerns I have with dieselgate is whether performance will be degraded after the Govt and VW decide the path forward. May not be as big an issue for those sticking to paved roads. For me range and torque are big issues as there are not many services off-road. Yes the drive train is different on diesel and hybrid Cayenne vs the rest. Was a real concern at first but in actual practice has not caused us problems. For off-road the approach and departure angles have proven to be more of an issue. I believe the reason the diesel has a different system is due to the engine putting out more torque than the petrol engines. The differentials on the petrol cars could not handle the additional torque.
We have driven ours north of the Arctic Circle in winter to the Chihuahuan Desert and Alvord Playa in the summer. While some of the trails did get technical we had no issues. There are links and a video about some of our trips at the Rennlist post 'Meet Otis' linked above.

Last edited by 93RSAmerica; 03-17-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:17 AM
I spent some time with the Dieselgate documents a couple of weeks ago. Basically, the CD falls into the category of engines that VW thinks they can fix with an EPA/CARB approved solution which means two options:

1 - They find a solution in a timely manner. There are three time horizons on when VW must do this and they vary based on the cars. For my particular CD, that deadline is 10/23/2017. VW can request up to three 30-day extensions however, each 30-day extension means class participants will get $500. The fix is suppose to be within 3 MPG and a decrease of no more than 5% on horsepower or torque.

There is a cash payment for people in the class action. those who register will receive 50% of the payments later this spring/summer and the final 50% after the approved fix has been applied.

2 - if they can't find a fix, then we go down the buyback path. The dollar amounts are based on the NADA guide value for your vehicle as of Sept, 2015, and there are various formulas for mileage, applying sales taxes by state and so forth described in the documents. There are several terms in there like "base clean retail," "base clean trade" and so forth that you'll need to understand to get an idea of what your car is worth. Since my CD is a 2016 and it is not in the NADA guide, there's a different factor for how they figure out it's value.

My recommendation is to spend a few moments with the documents and see what VW will say your car may be worth. I found the docs were written so to be easily understood by someone who does not have a law degree.

I also understand that Bosch will pay owners $1500 on top of what VW pays for their part in their fiasco.

My particular plan for this was to register for the class settlement and then wait.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:07 PM
93RSAmerica is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mathme
I spent some time with the Dieselgate documents a couple of weeks ago. Basically, the CD falls into the category of engines that VW thinks they can fix with an EPA/CARB approved solution which means two options:

1 - They find a solution in a timely manner. There are three time horizons on when VW must do this and they vary based on the cars. For my particular CD, that deadline is 10/23/2017. VW can request up to three 30-day extensions however, each 30-day extension means class participants will get $500. The fix is suppose to be within 3 MPG and a decrease of no more than 5% on horsepower or torque.
Not saying I feel it to be not a fair baseline, a key point is that most of us are getting many more MPG than what the window sticker states. The potential 3 MPG decrease is based off the sticker vs what we are actually getting real world. The most I have gotten is an indicated 765 mile range on a tank.

Another point is if folks want one of the quarantined diesels, better commit by getting your name on one at a dealer now. Friends have been doing this and the selection is getting thin. Best indicator is to ask a dealer what stock has not been spoken for.

Last edited by 93RSAmerica; 03-09-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:11 PM
BenCD is an unknown quantity at this point
I got myself a 2016 CD two weeks ago today, not long after the almost-final VW settlement decision was announced and that the buyback of my 2012 Touareg TDI is all but a done-deal. Coupled with the compensation that I'll get for being the current owner as the previous lessee had gotten out of the lease after only 15 months, the opportunity to get the CD was way too good to pass up. Also knowing that the 2012 Touareg TDI is a fantastic vehicle, 28 mph hwy and tows my 7,000lb boat with ease, the 2016 CD is in an entire different league than the Touareg.

If I were you, I would get a 2015+ if possible. I just think that the looks of the 2015+ is a lot better but the 2011+ are not too bad and a lot less $$$.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:20 PM
BB987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by BenCD
I got myself a 2016 CD two weeks ago today, not long after the almost-final VW settlement decision was announced and that the buyback of my 2012 Touareg TDI is all but a done-deal. Coupled with the compensation that I'll get for being the current owner as the previous lessee had gotten out of the lease after only 15 months, the opportunity to get the CD was way too good to pass up. Also knowing that the 2012 Touareg TDI is a fantastic vehicle, 28 mph hwy and tows my 7,000lb boat with ease, the 2016 CD is in an entire different league than the Touareg.

If I were you, I would get a 2015+ if possible. I just think that the looks of the 2015+ is a lot better but the 2011+ are not too bad and a lot less $$$.
Out of curiousity, could you share the price you paid for a 2016 CD? I found a dealer that has about 10 2016 CD left and am hoping for a killer discount given that it is now 2018. Thanks.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:13 PM
JT3
JT3 will become famous soon enoughJT3 will become famous soon enough
Informative thread! I'm considering this vehicle and wondering if anyone has any new updates or experiences, either from VAG or working with a dealer on pricing for a low milage example.

See several here in Texas that seem to be sitting. Thanks.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:13 AM
Eskimo1 is an unknown quantity at this point
With the change in warranty, I wouldn't ONLY look at dealers. All CD's now have a 6-year, unlimited mile CPO warranty, whether they're actually CPO or not. I got a higher mile 2016 (43k) for a steal, and the dealer is taking good care of me under warranty for the little things that need attention.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:48 AM
Falcondrivr is on a distinguished road
I bought a 2013 at the end of October. Warranty until August 2019. I registered on the settlement website and am receiving a payment from VW for around $8500. I had the fix done in December and the car drives slightly differently. It holds gears a little longer, and the new exhaust is slightly louder. There was no perceptible power loss and fuel consumption has been the same.
Last week I installed a Bluespark tuning module. There is a definite power increase. The torque curve is very flat from about 1300 to 3000 rpm. Their ads say it’s around 500ft/lbs and that seems to be what my butt dyno feels.
Go buy one. It’s honestly more fun to drive daily than my C4S in an urban environment.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:24 PM
JT3
JT3 will become famous soon enoughJT3 will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the feedback. The alternative is a new 4Runner, but I haven't driven either vehicle yet.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:11 AM
TXCOMT is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Eskimo1
With the change in warranty, I wouldn't ONLY look at dealers. All CD's now have a 6-year, unlimited mile CPO warranty, whether they're actually CPO or not. I got a higher mile 2016 (43k) for a steal, and the dealer is taking good care of me under warranty for the little things that need attention.
Just FYI, Porsche is offering unlimited mileage on their CPO vehicles regardless of powerplant...we were told this when we got the wife's new DD, a '14 S, back in December. Apparently, so sayeth the salesman, it was in response to BMW's recent changes in its CPO program.

TXCOMT

Old 02-16-2018, 08:15 AM
bzliteyear is on a distinguished road
CD sounds tempting, but currently prices are running HIGHER than GTS, and even higher than some TTS...tough to justify for a car that was 1/2 to 2/3 the orig MSRP, and that's without most of the nice options on the car. Me, I don't take many long trips or go to snow so the 700mi range isn't a priority.
PL

Old 02-16-2018, 09:37 AM
pvgolfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bzliteyear
CD sounds tempting, but currently prices are running HIGHER than GTS, and even higher than some TTS...tough to justify for a car that was 1/2 to 2/3 the orig MSRP, and that's without most of the nice options on the car. Me, I don't take many long trips or go to snow so the 700mi range isn't a priority.
PL
I'm seeing new, un-punched warranty 2016 Cayenne diesels selling for $60-63k (16-17% off msrp). The 2015 service loaners are going for $52-$55k with ~20k miles. 2016 service loaners are about $4k higher than the 2015s.

Aren't the (preowned) GTS and TT variants about $20k higher??? If 2015 GTS or TT models are also in the $50k price range, I agree, those would be better values.

I'm in SoCal, so pricing should be comparable to NorCal.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:06 PM
bzliteyear is on a distinguished road
I think the main reason why our observations are different is that I was looking at 2013-2015 GTS/TT/diesel prices vs. your comparison of 2016+ Cayenne. As for pricing, I've found socal prices to be less than norcal, esp for 4x4 & diesels. Just my 2 cents.
PL

Old 02-18-2018, 02:50 PM
buy it and don't look back

I have a '16 CD with 39k miles on it. I live in the Bay Area and have a vacation home up in Lake Tahoe. The AWD system in the CD will be fine for snow and ice. I've had both dedicated winter tires as well as all season Pirelli's on my CD.

On my last trip to Tahoe (which includes going over a 7,400 foot pass) the computer told me I averaged 32.5MPG out of the entire trip. There are no more lingering issues with the Dieselgate as VW has a fix for it out there. I had mine fixed at my last service interval and about the only difference is that when the engine is cold, it holds onto a lower gear longer (this helps heat up the exhaust faster).

I also tow about 6,200 pounds of boat and trailer for about 2,000 miles on average per year (part of that includes bring it up to Tahoe). The CD does a great job with the boat and trailer. Yes, I know it's back there but it handles it great. during some 5-6% grades coming up the pass on a 2-lane road, she does slow down to about 40MPH, but get that diesel up to about 22-2500 RPM, and it'll pull all day there.

One other thing to note about the CD is that Porsche granted CPO warranty on ALL CDs when the diesel sandal broke. Thus, the car will be covered on a 6-year, 100k warranty.

My recommendation is get the CD and don't look back.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.