Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Looking at used Cayenne Diesel for the wife - need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 12:34 AM
Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !
Looking at used Cayenne Diesel for the wife - need advice

Folks,

As mentioned in title, want to pick up a Cayenne Diesel for my spouse.
Will need to be driven in the Pacific NW (central Oregon), with quite some exposure to snow and icy roads.

I have following questions :

- Are there any model years I should shy away from ?
- Are there any lingering issues from the VW emission scandal when buying a used diesel ?
- Does this have an effect on current pricing or negotiation position ?
- From what I understand the AWD system is different from some of the other Cayennes. Will this impact the car's effectiveness on icy roads ?

Thank you in advance for your advice !

Yves

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 01-14-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:24 AM
spyderman33 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Yves
Folks,

As mentioned in title, want to pick up a Cayenne Diesel for my spouse.
Will need to be driven in the Pacific NW (central Oregon), with quite some exposure to snow and icy roads.

I have following questions :

- Are there any lingering issues from the VW emission scandal when buying a used diesel ?
- From what I understand the AWD system is different from some of the other Cayennes. Will this impact the car's effectiveness on icy roads ?

Thank you in advance for your advice !

Yves
I bought a 14 CD earlier last year and havent looked back.. I love it.. I havent heard about any years you should shy away from since I believe they only imported them from 13-15 (maybe they did import 16's as well).. At any rate because of the scandal, many new Diesels are still at dealers and they are not able to sell them.. I would wait for Porsche to release those cars and you can get a pretty good deal on them from what I am hearing..

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/11/por...w-cayenne.html

Lastly, i wasnt aware that the AWD system is different.. I live in Florida so I dont know the first thing about snow or ice but it handles awesome in the torrential Florida rains...

Good luck.

Last edited by spyderman33; 01-13-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:32 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Yves
Nope, they are all good. People that have driven both, however, say the 958.2 (2015+) feel like it makes better use of the power.

It's not resolved yet for the 3.0l, so yeah there is still uncertainty about what is going on.

The current agreement is that there is no buyback for the generations that the Cayennes fall into and we'll instead get a fix. There is no info about what the fix is and what it will do to the performance. If VW/CARB/EPA can not agree on a fix then there will be a buyback option offered.

Oh yeah. These things are running a good $5-10k less than where they should be. Some areas have a better market though where they get snapped up as soon as they are available.

Yes it shares the xfer case with the Hybrid which differs from the rest. My understanding is that it only makes a difference for serious off roading though. There is a thread on Rennlist (actually has been active recently) about someone that ran their diesel in a big off road challenge through Canada and Alaska. They apparently didn't have a lick of trouble from it, even in -39 weather

If it can do that then I think you'll be fine on the road

Old 01-14-2017, 02:17 AM
Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !
Thank you all !

Old 01-14-2017, 02:01 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
I can't believe you're not being flooded with offers to sell you a CD.. following the Dieselgate thread on Rennlist it would seem people might be anxious to sell theirs: http://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-c...ion-issue.html

Old 01-14-2017, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by deilenberger
I can't believe you're not being flooded with offers to sell you a CD.. following the Dieselgate thread on Rennlist it would seem people might be anxious to sell theirs: http://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-c...ion-issue.html
I found quite the opposite when looking for mine.. As soon as the car got listed, it would sell within a day or two... I lost out on 2 before i got aggressive and put a deposit as soon as mine was listed.

I think people talk **** and say they want out but that hasnt been my experience.

there are Diesels out there but they are holding their values.. i bought mine from a Porsche dealer... mine is Platinum Ed. not CPO because they are not doing that on the Diesels.. the current prices on the Diesels are about the same as when I bought so actually they have gone up a bit.. I've had mine for almost a year.

Last edited by spyderman33; 01-14-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:17 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
You confuse people wanting VAG to buy them back with wanting to sell. They are two different animals.

I have no intention of selling mine for another 4 years at least, but if I'm forced to apply the unknown fix and it degrades the reasons I continue to love it, then VAG and I will have some issues...

Old 01-14-2017, 08:30 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gnat
You confuse people wanting VAG to buy them back with wanting to sell. They are two different animals.
Exactly how are they different? Color me confused. Someone who wants VAG to buy the vehicle back sounds like someone who wants to sell - or is it they want VAG to buy the vehicle back and give them a payback at the same time?

Old 01-14-2017, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by spyderman33
I found quite the opposite when looking for mine.. As soon as the car got listed, it would sell within a day or two... I lost out on 2 before i got aggressive and put a deposit as soon as mine was listed.

I think people talk **** and say they want out but that hasnt been my experience.

there are Diesels out there but they are holding their values.. i bought mine from a Porsche dealer... mine is Platinum Ed. not CPO because they are not doing that on the Diesels.. the current prices on the Diesels are about the same as when I bought so actually they have gone up a bit.. I've had mine for almost a year.
So - the thread is **** talk? People who think the price on their CD is lower due to dieselgate? It seems a difficult crowd to please. There are people who apparently want Porsche to buy back their CD at a price like VAG did with the VW 2L vehicles (ie - NADA book before the scandal broke, and then some money on top of that) - which would seem to actually be overly fair. And then people who are hanging onto their diesel's but never letting Porsche near them again out of a fear of the performance being different. And people who want Porsche to buy them out, pay them $$ and never intend to ever buy another VAG product ever again. And people who want to keep their CD's, pocket some VAG money based on decreased value of their CD, even though it appears they're hard to find used and the prices have remained firm. And some other people who I haven't been able to figure out a motivation for their complaints - but I'm sure they have some.

Disgruntled. That seems to be an apt term for the group.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:16 PM
seabrook is infamous around these partsseabrook is infamous around these parts
before the scandal i said diesels suck, i was the original

Old 01-14-2017, 11:56 PM
Heath Maddox is on a distinguished road
I may entertain selling my 2013 CD, Meteor Gray/Black 34k miles, factory extended warranty until March 2019. 615-668-0241

Old 01-15-2017, 11:00 PM
patrickkc is on a distinguished road
I bought a 2014 Cayenne Diesel end of last year and it's been great. Over 700KM / Tank is amazing. Especially diesel being so much cheaper than premium gas. Only pet peeve that I have is the vibrating. Sometimes the rattling is louder and is driving me nuts. Like a loose piece of plastic somewhere..

As for the Cayenne Diesel Prices..I thought the CD would sell cheaply because everybody wanting to get rid of theirs due to the scandal, but turns out they're extremely hard to find and price is quite high compared to regular base Cayennes.

I got my Cayenne Diesel for $61k with 73,000 KMs on it. Full warranty until 2019. (apparently, because of the Diesel Scandal, Porsche is giving out FULL WARRANTY on the diesels instead of just the CPO Warranty). In comparison, base cayenne with under 40,000 km sell around $60k.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by patrickkc
because of the Diesel Scandal, Porsche is giving out FULL WARRANTY on the diesels instead of just the CPO Warranty
In the USA - CPO is identical to the original factory warranty. Covers everything except normal wear parts (like brake pads, rotors, tires etc.) And in the US - Porsche PCNA just extended the CPO as compensation for being very non-responsive to diesel owners.

BTW - are those USD or CD? Sounds awfully high for USD...

Old 01-16-2017, 01:32 PM
In the USA - CPO is identical to the original factory warranty. Covers everything except normal wear parts (like brake pads, rotors, tires etc.) And in the US - Porsche PCNA just extended the CPO as compensation for being very non-responsive to diesel owners.

thats sounds like CAD$ not US$.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:41 AM
patrickkc is on a distinguished road

To be honest, I didn't really check what CPO warranty covered vs original factory warranty. It just sounded good when he said, " oh, instead of CPO warranty, you'll get the full original warranty extended instead." I probably should have done a bit more research regarding the warranty.

Originally Posted by spyderman33
thats sounds like CAD$ not US$.
Yes, that is correct. It is CAD pricing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.