Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Changing Wiper Blades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 07:56 AM
jbsport is on a distinguished road
Changing Wiper Blades

Are there any tricks to changing the wiper blades? I was going to order new blakes online and change them out myself, but was just wondering if Porsche made the attachements tricker than your typical car.
Thanks again for the help.
JB

Old 11-16-2013, 01:14 PM
mep1811 is on a distinguished road
I haven't figured out mine yet. Can replacement blades be found at an auto parts store or only through Porsche?

Old 11-16-2013, 01:31 PM
gary9425 is on a distinguished road
Pull off the plastic retainer,pull arm away from windshield,rotate blade 180 & slide off.Reverse to install. Don't foget to snap the retainer back on. No tools required.2004 Cayenne S

Old 02-22-2016, 09:53 AM
nhirsch will become famous soon enoughnhirsch will become famous soon enough
windshield wiper blades for Cayenne

Originally Posted by gary9425
Pull off the plastic retainer,pull arm away from windshield,rotate blade 180 & slide off.Reverse to install. Don't foget to snap the retainer back on. No tools required.2004 Cayenne S
same for 2012 Cayenne. easy peazy. took 2 minutes for both front and rear to replace. rear just pull up and out on lower half of blade and it unclips from the holder. new one snaps right back in.

I just bought 2 sets of fronts and rear blades from Autohaus and they are perfect. The rear is a bit longer which I prefer, but not too long. The fronts are OEM identical and so happy to see that. Both made by Bosch, front in Belgium, rear in China.

The cost of 2 sets was less than a dollar over the $75 minimum for free shipping! Highly recommended AutohausAZ. Will put 2nd set in garage for later. The new blade is to the left of the old blade in the picture on the hood.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:36 PM
As a challenge, I decided to try to replace the wiper rubber on the two blades that I replaced above. I ordered two 26" wiper rubber only from ebay and they arrived today. Link is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131683125840?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT.
I partially disassembled the OEM blades by pulling off the two rubber airfoil covers (about 11" long) and then examine the two tips. One tip you can slide the rubber back and forth because it has no keeper. The other tip has a metal point that pushes down on the rubber to keep it from sliding. If you pull the old rubber from the end where it slides, you can pull it out entirely without removing either tip using a pair of longnose pliers to grab the end of the rubber. But after getting the rubbers from China, I realized I couldn't push it back in due to the metal sharp point at the other end so I put a screwdriver under the end piece that had the pointy keeper and flipped it off. Luckily it didn't damaqe it inside so it clipped back on when I was done. On the end where I left the tip, I cut a small curve on the end of the tip to enable the rubber to slide back in. Using some silicone spray, that made it easy and also messy. Anyhow they assembled well. Bend up the pointy keeper and then push it back on the rubber when it's in place. There was approximately 1" inch excess rubber that I snipped off when it was fully inserted. Cross section of rubber from China is almost identical to OEM.
First blade took 1/2 hr to assemble. Second blade took 5 minutes!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	disassemblyremove.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	442199   Click image for larger version

Name:	disassembly.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	442200   Click image for larger version

Name:	inserting.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	442201   Click image for larger version

Name:	pointykeeperbentback.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	442202   Click image for larger version

Name:	pointykeeperin.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	442203  

Click image for larger version

Name:	excess.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	442204   Click image for larger version

Name:	messy.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	442205   Click image for larger version

Name:	finished.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	442206   Click image for larger version

Name:	completedtips.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	442207  
Old 03-08-2016, 01:00 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
The front you lift up the wiper arm, put a towel on the window (a wiper arm that snaps to the windshield without a blade on it by accident WILL crack the windshield, DAMHIK..) Pivot the old blade 90 degrees, slide it off. Slide the new blade on, and pivot it 90 degrees so the rubber side faces the windshield. Carefully guide the wiper arm back to the normal position. If it takes you more then 30 seconds per side, seek assistance.

Rear - pull arm away from rear window - it's a plastic arm so the towel isn't as important but I'm not telling you not to use one - pull the old wiper off the arm by pulling in the direction that it would face the window while supporting the arm near to the wiper attachment point. Push new one on. Gently put arm back on the glass. I'll give you 45 seconds on this one since the first time it's done it feels like you're going to break something.

My wipers just arrived, so I'm about to do it. If I feel generous I might take a photo or two.. But they really aren't needed.

ADD: There are nice pictures on the packaging for the blades. No need for mine.. rear wiper took 10 seconds.

Last edited by deilenberger; 03-08-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:01 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nhirsch
As a challenge, I decided to try to replace the wiper rubber on the two blades that I replaced above. I ordered two 26" wiper rubber only from ebay and they arrived today. Link is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131683125840...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT.
First blade took 1/2 hr to assemble. Second blade took 5 minutes!
That really doesn't seem worth it. I'd be interested in hearing how the Chinese rubber holds up with time and exposure to sunlight.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by deilenberger
That really doesn't seem worth it. I'd be interested in hearing how the Chinese rubber holds up with time and exposure to sunlight.
given I bought two new OEM sets from Autohaus and just installed one set with one spare set in the garage, I now now have these re-rubbered blades as the 3d new set, it'll probably be 5 years or more before I'd need them. It was just a challenge which proved it can be done.

Old 08-15-2020, 05:47 AM
Originally Posted by nhirsch
given I bought two new OEM sets from Autohaus and just installed one set with one spare set in the garage, I now now have these re-rubbered blades as the 3d new set, it'll probably be 5 years or more before I'd need them. It was just a challenge which proved it can be done.
OK you won’t believe this. I had to replace my wiper blades and found and referred the post above but then I thought I remembered having a spare set of blades in the garage and looked and found them. In fact I had a brand new set and another set in a plastic bag. So I took the new pair and swapped arms with the old ones on my car. Easy peazy 1 minute job. Then I decided to see if I could remove the bad rubber from the wiper arms I took off and realized I could wiggle off the little black end of the arm. The only end piece you need to wiggle off is the one on the end where the mounting hole is. Then lift up the tiny metal dual-point keeper arm about 4mm with a needle nose or small screwdriver and the rubber slides right out. No need to do anything else or get your hands dirty. So now I came back here to post this and realized the old post from almost 5 years ago, that I referred to, was mine! The dirty hand was mine! Guess my memory bank is partly resting online these days instead of on-site! The good aspect of this is I am, in my older age, apparently a little smarter to have figured out a better, easier and cleaner way to replace the wiper blade rubbers.

Anyhow below are pictures of what I described. I ordered another set of 26” rubbers from amazon and will post a few pictures when I replace them later today.

Screwdriver wiggle each side till it moves away and then comes off. Metal clip inside is good place to rest one side of the screwdriver on to wiggle the clip off with the other side of the screwdriver

Here you can clearly see the little clip with the little pointy arm bent up that allows the rubber to slide out easily and where new one will slide in. Plan is to bend it down to have the pointy ended arm secure the new rubber when it arrives

Last edited by nhirsch; 08-15-2020 at 05:56 AM.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:50 AM
Replacing the wiper rubbers with refills

Received the pair of 26” rubbers for the front windshield wipers. They slid in easily and fit perfectly.
Pushed down on the tiny metal arm with the two points to hold it in place and snapped the end cover back on.
Two minute job.

Refills from Amazon (made in China $7.99/pair)

Little arm pushed back in to hold the rubber in place.