Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

958 H&R sports springs installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 01:36 AM
Cayenne808 is an unknown quantity at this point
958 H&R sports springs installation

I just lowered my 2015 CS with H&R sports springs. I found an wonderful article by ECS Tuning for this job

http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3...allationR1.pdf

Although the article is for 955/957, many steps are similar.
Changing the springs on the Cayenne is not super difficult, but you do need to have the right tools. Here are my comments regarding doing this job on 958, and READ the above article a few times before you start!!!

1. Regular springs compressor might not work due to the large mounting bracket of the strut, plus the springs has smaller diameter and shorter length (compares to most other cars), it is not easy to use the portable compressor safely and efficiently.

2. The top nut on the strut is very tight. Make sure you have a strong vise grip to hold the entire strut. To prevent the strut shaft from turning, you need to hold it with a 6mm hex key (different from 955/957). Of course you also need that special 18mm socket to turn the nut.

3. Removal of the 3 mounting nuts for the front struts in the engine bay is simple (different from 955/957). You might need a medium height and a deep 16mm socket to clear the tight space there. Good news is you don't need to remove any other parts to get access to the nuts.

4. To remove the rear struts, there are 4 long bolts under the spare tire cover in the trunk area (different from 955/957). The rear struts are quite easy to remove. However, to put them back, you might need another person to push down the suspension, then hold the strut while you try to line up the long bolts from inside of the car.

I went to 4 shops to get estimates for the labor to this job. They all said it's about 8hrs, and cost over $1000. I guess everything is expensive here in Hawaii. My mechanic did it in 5hrs, with my help. So it is not a simple job.

The result: I love it. It dropped about 1.4 inch in the front and about 1.6 inch in the rear. My wife can get in and out easily now. The ride is the same as before, nice and smooth. I just love the lowered look. Hope this write up will help others who is thinking of lowering his/her cayenne 958.

Before

After (I also retro fitted the wider body color wheel arch)

Not much room to use this kind of spring compressor. My mechanic gave up on that.

Notice how big the rear strut mounting bracket is.

6mm hex key in the strut shaft. Different from 955/957.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:12 AM
Session is on a distinguished road
Looks really good! Are you happy with the ride quality?

Old 06-22-2017, 11:25 AM
Cayenne808 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks! I'm happy with the ride, it's about the same as the oem springs. I haven't tried any high speed cornering yet, but it's nice and smooth going over speed bumps and potholes.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:38 PM
harry_p is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you change the struts and shocks as well, or just the springs?

I recently ordered the same springs , but I found this message on a seller's website.

Performance coil springs must be used with Bilstein Sport or Koni STR.T or Sport struts and shocks. Use with factory struts and shocks will cause damage to the strut/shock and severely reduce ride quality.
Not sure what to make of it. They're either right and we have to change the struts and shocks as well, or they're just trying to cross-sell stuff.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:35 PM
thegcpu has a spectacular aura aboutthegcpu has a spectacular aura aboutthegcpu has a spectacular aura about
Looks Great.

Old 01-01-2021, 03:12 PM
Puch is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks awesome. I have the same colour base 2017 Cayenne also with the RS Spyder rims and just ordered a set of the H&R lowering springs. Can’t wait to have them installed.

Old 06-02-2021, 12:30 AM
949CS is an unknown quantity at this point
Your post made me do it🤗

Old 06-02-2021, 07:03 PM
Looks great. I”m also very pleased with the way my Cayenne looks and drives with the H&R lowering springs.

However, I’m experiencing vibration at highway speeds of 100-130 km/h that are definitely not tire related. It happens with three different sets of rims and tires that have all been Road Forced Balanced. One set are brand new Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. I’ve got an appointment later this month with the tuning shop that installed the springs to try to determine the cause of the issue.

Old 06-02-2021, 09:56 PM
949CS is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Puch
Looks great. I”m also very pleased with the way my Cayenne looks and drives with the H&R lowering springs.

However, I’m experiencing vibration at highway speeds of 100-130 km/h that are definitely not tire related. It happens with three different sets of rims and tires that have all been Road Forced Balanced. One set are brand new Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. I’ve got an appointment later this month with the tuning shop that installed the springs to try to determine the cause of the issue.

hows your brakes ? I had the same issue and I got my brakes replaced. Keep me posted what your installers say. I installed them my self and no vibration so far.

Old 06-03-2021, 05:10 AM
Originally Posted by 949CS
hows your brakes ? I had the same issue and I got my brakes replaced. Keep me posted what your installers say. I installed them my self and no vibration so far.
Brakes all around were newly replaced by the dealership last October, and there’s no vibration when they’re applied to slow the car. So it’s probably not a rotor issue but I’ll remind them to check them out as well.

Old 04-15-2022, 11:04 AM
010GTS is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks very nice!
I am on air suspension so I used lowering links. Kinda glad I can lift the car a little when needed. Running 22" on 315 tires all around.