Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

LED Licence Plate Bulbs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 08:52 PM
RickDC is on a distinguished road
LED Licence Plate Bulbs

It's a bit off-putting to have the LED package and to still find regular bulbs for the licence plate... so I replaced them. 3 TIMES! Each time they've burnt out in a manner of days. I've tried 3 different types of Canbus compatible LEDs and each one has gotten EXTREMELY hot after only a few minutes of being fixed into the holder.

Options...

1. Stick with the regular bulbs and drink beer instead of spending more money on LEDs

2. Try a more expensive LED (better heat dissipation?)

3. Try regular LEDs and add the Canbus diode in the tailgate to negate heating issues

4. Cut open the top of the holder for the bulb and stick my other LEDs in

???

Thanks!

Old 08-22-2017, 01:29 PM
pmonag is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi RickDC, I'd value any input from the members here about the LED license plate bulbs as well.

I've looked through the DIY and previous posts and it would seem our options are LED bulbs available from Suncoast vs. Ziza bulbs available from ECS tuning. If anyone has specific recommendations I'd appreciate it(i.e. do they work, bulb out errors, etc.)

Also a little unclear if it's just bulbs vs. new assembly that's required(see kechang's 2014 DIY writeup)

While we're on the subject, what's the consensus LED bulb replacement for the puddle lamps which are on our side mirrors? I think a T10 w5w led bulb would work but not sure of the BEST solution - anyone, anyone........

I have a 2011 Cayenne Turbo and I'm trying to pimp my ride ��

Old 08-23-2017, 12:40 PM
re:LED license plate bulbs

I'd like to know a bit more about this as well. I think our options are LED bulbs available from Suncoast parts vs. Ziza bulbs available from ECS tuning.

Anybody have experience with these?(do they work, bulb out errors, etc.)

As well, what's everybody using for LED replacement of puddle lights on our side mirrors? I think T10 w5w led bulbs will work but want to know what the BEST solution is.

Thanks in advance for any/all answers!

Old 08-24-2017, 02:43 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else find it a bit odd that when paying for the LED Extended Option, that they would only fit regular bulbs for the licence plate. My guess is, is that they also had problems with heat dissipation and therefore just put regular bulbs in ;-)

Old 08-24-2017, 03:53 PM
Hi RickDC,

I have the LED extended option too but apparently back in 2011 the LED's only went so far. The footwells, glove box, rear festoon bulb, and rear tailgate bulbs were all halogen so I replaced them with Philips Vision 194 LED bulbs I got at Canadian Tire(got the festoon bulb at superbrightleds). Interior looks much better. I've used the same bulb in my license plate lights - just put them in today so we'll see how long they last(hopefully I have better luck than you with burning out!)

What year is your Cayenne? What have you been using for LED license plate bulbs?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0926.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	2.97 MB
ID:	511415

Old 08-24-2017, 04:05 PM
Mine's a 2014... I actually tried those bulbs, but they're not Canbus compatible and need a resister to stop warning messages. I bought some of the Philips Bright White bulbs, and they're the same colour as the regular bulbs ;-)

Old 08-24-2017, 04:26 PM
You mean my bulbs are going to burn out? DOH! I'm starting to like your beer drinking suggestion...

Do you think the ZIZA lights from ECS or the bulbs from Suncoast Porsche will work?

Old 08-24-2017, 04:30 PM
If you got them to work, then I wouldn't worry about it.. From my limited knowledge, mine is a 2014, and senses when the rear licence plate bulb is out. When you put one of the standard canbus cancelling 194 bulbs in, these contain resistors which replicate the draw of the bulb. The problem is, that excess draw is converted to heat by the resistor, which has no-where to go, and cooks the LED in that unvented small holder.

I think the only solution is to get one of the canbus cancelling LED kits (Philips makes one of the better ones), install that on the metal part of the trunk lid and it will dissipate the heat there, rather than in the small confines of the bulb housing.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:00 PM
Yeah this whole LED thing is complicated. I read kechang's write up(circa 2014) and he seems to have done what you're thinking of. I hope your next solution works out well.

Do you have LED puddle lights in the side mirrors of your 2014? My 2011 has halogen that I'd like to replace. Any ideas on this? I had the mirror off looking to replace the bulb but you'd need hobbit fingers to get at it(without removing the bracket). Might be a job for the stealer!

Thanks for your input!

Old 08-25-2017, 08:38 AM
westsiderkg is on a distinguished road
The ecs ziza leds worked fine on my 14 ctt.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:55 AM
Good to know - as RickDC stated, I got the bulb out error with the bulbs I installed. They still work, but error message in dash display. Me so stupid

Old 08-25-2017, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by pmonag
Good to know - as RickDC stated, I got the bulb out error with the bulbs I installed. They still work, but error message in dash display. Me so stupid
Get this, add it in parallel to the wiring, you should be set with no errors (I think the 5w will work).

Amazon Amazon

Old 08-27-2017, 07:00 AM
alpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of light
Are you installing the LED bulbs to save energy or to make your plate more visible at night?

Old 08-27-2017, 07:57 AM
Purely cosmetic

Old 08-27-2017, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by alpine-al
Are you installing the LED bulbs to save energy or to make your plate more visible at night?

It's to get a clean white look to the car... I find the OEM bulbs to be yellow and murky. I don't want a ricer look... and loved the look of the LEDs for about 3-4 days when they worked..

I've just ordered the Philips CanBus Canceller and 2 of their 194 LEDs and see where that gets me..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.