Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Help pick winter wheel setup for GTS in Chicago

Old 11-11-2017, 07:12 PM
Kirill Chicago is an unknown quantity at this point
Help pick winter wheel setup for GTS in Chicago

Long time lurker, first-time poster

After an extensive search (almost 6 months long) I just picked up very nice 2014 Cayenne GTS with 21" Cayenne SportEdition Wheels with Wheel Arch Extension, and I need suggestions for winter wheel setup. I also own 2006 Cayenne S with 18" and I had good experience with all season tires. But new one being the GTS calls for larger rims Problem is I am in Chicago suburbs - with Chicago being the pothole capital of the world.
So the stock 21" with Michelin Latitudes are not an option for winter. Getting winter tires for 21" not a good option. I think the best option is to get a set of dedicated winter wheels.

Tires will be used on pavement most of the time, I work from home - so I don't have to drive out in the snow. And we didn't get a lot of snow in last few years. I drive to Colorado in winter for skiing - but I think I will take the 2006 CS with all-seasons - these worked great in Vail after 2ft overnight.

So I think I will be fine with all-seasons, but having 21" summer and a set of all-seasons - doesn't really cut it as the winter setup.

Now that brings me market shopping 19" or 20" rims. Want to pick up a used Porsche set of craigslist\ebay. Will 20 be ok on the potholes of Chicago ?

Since the GTS has Wheel Arch extensions - I think I need to go wider rims - otherwise, it may look weird. Porsche recommendation 9Jx19, 9Jx20 and 9J x 20/10J x 20 - I am not really sold on staggered setup for Cayenne, but apparently Porsche thinks it's ok with 275/40 tires.

So after all that blabbering - what do you think I should run on GTS in winter in Chicago?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	GTSWheels.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	515884   Click image for larger version

Name:	PorscheApprovedTires.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	515885  

Last edited by Kirill Chicago; 11-11-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:46 PM
wkearney99 has a spectacular aura aboutwkearney99 has a spectacular aura about
I have a 17 GTS with 19" Pirelli Scorpions on it for winter. There is not a dramatic difference in overall dry condition handling compared to my 20" all-season Eagle LS tires. There's some, but not enough to make the handling feel unacceptably altered for winter. You do, of course, need to use at least 19" in order to clear the red brake calipers in the GTS and Turbo models (S and base, I'm not sure). But I do know that 18's will NOT fit the GTS.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post14599406

The winter rims being narrower is not something you'd ever notice from looking at it. At least not without being a nitpicking fanatic. For snow you want narrower, as that'll plow through the accumulation better than a wider tire. Taller sidewalls help ward off damage from unseen potholes or curb rash.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:13 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Hi Kirill,

Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow are what Porsche recommends, and most people find them to work quite well. And as mentioned - they have to be 19" rims to clear the brake calipers. Smaller than that won't work. It's what I have for my Turbo - and they worked flawlessly. Put them on last fall and saw no snow whatsoever for the entire winter. I'm heading from NJ to CA the end of December, and back in January, so I'll put them on before I go and hope they work just as well in preventing snowfall.

Last edited by deilenberger; 11-12-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:10 AM
wkearney99 has a spectacular aura aboutwkearney99 has a spectacular aura about
The one thing I did notice is the Scorpions definitely perform better in dry conditions when it's 50F or colder outside. As the conditions warm up they tended to be a bit loose when pushing them hard (like gunning it around a corner). Not "bad" but certainly less tight than the all-seasons. I figured it was due to the rubber compound getting softer due to the warmer temps. In all other respects their handling was just as adequate as all-season tires when it was below 50F. The ride wasn't otherwise squishy or loose. Granted, I wasn't trying to carve twisties or run an autocross, but for daily driving they really didn't feel different enough to be concerned. In light snow, however, they really did a better job than the all-seasons. THAT was noticeable. We didn't get enough to "really tell" but even in just 1-2" conditions I noticed no loss of traction, whereas the wider LS2s did.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by deilenberger
Hi Kirill,

Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow are what Porsche recommends, and most people find them to work quite well. And as mentioned - they have to be 19" rims to clear the brake calipers. Smaller than that won't work. It's what I have for my Turbo - and they worked flawlessly. Put them on last fall and saw no snow whatsoever for the entire winter. I'm heading from NJ to CA the end of December, and back in January, so I'll put them on before I go and hope they work just as well in preventing snowfall.

NJ to CA is some roundtrip you got going What size rim are you using?
Weird that Porsche lists 18" as an option for GTS, I'd stick to either 19 or 20 - probably deciding factor will be what kind of deal i'll find on rims

Old 11-13-2017, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by wkearney99
The one thing I did notice is the Scorpions definitely perform better in dry conditions when it's 50F or colder outside. As the conditions warm up they tended to be a bit loose when pushing them hard (like gunning it around a corner). Not "bad" but certainly less tight than the all-seasons. I figured it was due to the rubber compound getting softer due to the warmer temps. In all other respects their handling was just as adequate as all-season tires when it was below 50F. The ride wasn't otherwise squishy or loose. Granted, I wasn't trying to carve twisties or run an autocross, but for daily driving they really didn't feel different enough to be concerned. In light snow, however, they really did a better job than the all-seasons. THAT was noticeable. We didn't get enough to "really tell" but even in just 1-2" conditions I noticed no loss of traction, whereas the wider LS2s did.
So sounds like scorpions are better than all seasons in real winter. But when it's 50 it's time for summer tires. What makes it more fun is it was 70 for couple days in a middle of February in Chicago.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:59 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kirill Chicago
NJ to CA is some roundtrip you got going What size rim are you using?
Weird that Porsche lists 18" as an option for GTS, I'd stick to either 19 or 20 - probably deciding factor will be what kind of deal i'll find on rims
I have the Pirelli's on 19" Porsche rims. The rims came with the tires from Porsche. I found the package on RennList's classifieds for around $2,000.

And that won't be the first time the CTT made that trip. Did it 2 years ago. I alternate doing it on my motorcycle with the Porsche. It's more fun on the motorcycle.. my old (gone) '06 CS/**** did it once too.. about 4 years ago.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:49 PM
05Mdriver has much to be proud of05Mdriver has much to be proud of05Mdriver has much to be proud of05Mdriver has much to be proud of05Mdriver has much to be proud of05Mdriver has much to be proud of05Mdriver has much to be proud of05Mdriver has much to be proud of05Mdriver has much to be proud of
I have a set of 21s with Pirelli Scorpions..

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ter-tires.html

Old 11-13-2017, 06:05 PM
Griza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud of
Get a set of 20" replicas with 275/40's Pirelli Scorpions and some spacers to bring them out. That is what I did on my CTTS and it worked amazing through numerous NY winters and many trips to my VT ski house.

..or pick up the set of 21's available in the post above.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by 05Mdriver
I have a set of 21s with Pirelli Scorpions..

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ter-tires.html
Nice wheels, but I don't want to run 21" in chicago in winter - it just asking for trouble

Old 11-13-2017, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Griza
Get a set of 20" replicas with 275/40's Pirelli Scorpions and some spacers to bring them out. That is what I did on my CTTS and it worked amazing through numerous NY winters and many trips to my VT ski house.

..or pick up the set of 21's available in the post above.
Why would I need spacers? Just for looks? Or replicas will have the wrong offset?
There are few 20" and 19" OEM rims available on local craigslist - so far I think that's the best option.

I remember seeing people posting broken rims in Chicago - so want to stay OEM and downsize.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:05 AM
[SS]Shooter will become famous soon enough[SS]Shooter will become famous soon enough
I thave Victor Zehn wheels: http://www.victorequipmentwheels.com...-rims-zehn.php

Semi-gloss black 20" rims on my 2016 GTS with Pirelli winter/snow tires. This setup works well and was relatively inexpensive.

I got the whole setup from my dealer as I bought the car last winter and needed to drive it that day - it was around $3,500 if I recall correctly...

The bonus is that these tires have minimal dry grip, especially on cold pavement, allowing you to get crazy sideways around corners (but you have to watch out for the horrible understeer).

Here's the car with those wheels/tires:

Last edited by [SS]Shooter; 11-14-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:30 AM
DrBillyD is an unknown quantity at this point
2014 CTTS

Summer setup: 21" wheels (Porsche) with Michelin Latitude 3. Like the Michelins better than P Zero (OEM).

Winter setup: 19" wheels (OZ) with Bridgestone Blizzaks. Works well for me. Admittedly overkill for where I live but go to north during winter, also do road trip to CO for skiing and we get an occasional ice storm. More road noise, more comfortable ride (taller sidewalls) than summer wheels/tires, similar experience with 'squishy' handling above about 50F (though I'm not real aggressive).

Old 11-14-2017, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by [SS]Shooter
I thave Victor Zehn wheels: http://www.victorequipmentwheels.com...-rims-zehn.php

Semi-gloss black 20" rims on my 2016 GTS with Pirelli winter/snow tires. This setup works well and was relatively inexpensive.

I got the whole setup from my dealer as I bought the car last winter and needed to drive it that day - it was around $3,500 if I recall correctly...

The bonus is that these tires have minimal dry grip, especially on cold pavement, allowing you to get crazy sideways around corners (but you have to watch out for the horrible understeer).

Here's the car with those wheels/tires:

This is exactly the look I am thinking about. You may have an identical twin soon
How are the rims surviving in Chicago? Nothing bent? Broken ? Paint not peeling off? Salt stains?
How wide are your rims ? 8", 9.5" ?

Old 11-14-2017, 08:10 PM
Griza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Kirill Chicago
Why would I need spacers? Just for looks? Or replicas will have the wrong offset?
There are few 20" and 19" OEM rims available on local craigslist - so far I think that's the best option.

I remember seeing people posting broken rims in Chicago - so want to stay OEM and downsize.
I suggested spacers just so the smaller, more narrow wheels aren't so tucked in under the wheel wells. Just more aesthetically pleasing, but certainly not necessary.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.