Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

DIY for 958 V6 oil/fiter and spark plug change?

Old 10-16-2015, 09:33 PM
Rotor is on a distinguished road
DIY for 958 V6 oil/fiter and spark plug change?

Anyone? I have a 2012 base Cayenne.
Thanks in advance!

Old 10-17-2015, 03:46 AM
Matt911 is on a distinguished road
http://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-d...-pictures.html

Hope that helps for the oil change part

Old 10-18-2015, 10:44 AM
Thanks Matt!

Old 10-19-2015, 06:06 AM
wwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of light
Location of the drain plug and filter are different on the V6. From experience the procedure is very similar to the Touareg procedure shown at the link:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-V6-Oil-Change

Torque specs can be found here as well as a video tutorial:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...11-cayenne-v6/

Old 10-21-2015, 10:36 PM
Thank you "W"

Old 10-28-2015, 08:03 PM
BlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud of
I just did a spark plug change on my CTT.
Not sure if it will help specific to a v6, but it cannot hurt.

Overall, it was pretty straightforward.
You got to have the right tools and go slow.

i will put the DIY together in the next few days if time allows.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0815.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	431436   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0814.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	431437  
Old 11-04-2015, 02:43 PM
mmdht2 will become famous soon enoughmmdht2 will become famous soon enough

r u sure you want this?

and this!!

Old 11-04-2015, 04:07 PM
wwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of light
Yup, look familiar. Getting the oil filter out can be a PITA.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:54 AM
BlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud of
Yikes.
The pictures almost makes it look as if the individual forgot to drain the oil FIRST,
Before, removing the filter. Otherwise, i don't see how it could ever be that bad.

Regardless, the pics above should NOT scare off the DIY'er interested in changing their own oil.
That is very a-typical in my book.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Yikes.
The pictures almost makes it look as if the individual forgot to drain the oil FIRST,
Before, removing the filter. Otherwise, i don't see how it could ever be that bad.

Regardless, the pics above should NOT scare off the DIY'er interested in changing their own oil.
That is very a-typical in my book.
lol, i have changed oil in all of my family's cars in the past 25 yrs. from japaness to american to german (merecedes are the easiest). probably more than a hundred times. the oil filter was changed long AFTER all of the oil has been drained. that's the left over oil in the filter housing itself. there is no clear path to get to the filter housing so you can't even put something under to catch the spill. the oil start to spill out half way as you turn the housing. that's why my arm is covered in oil. you can't avoid this unless there is a way to suck out the oil in the filter housing first or put a whole lot of rags around the housing as you open it up. next time, i will put some rags around first.

no offense, but have you changed the oil yourself in a cayenne before? if you have, i would love to see a video of how you can stay clean during the filter change. changing oil in cayenne is no different then changing oil in a honda or ford. it's just the location of the filter housing makes it messy. it's not hard. it would be easier if you have a lift and more room to put a small pan under it.
this is a poor design. the mercedes oil filters is accessed from the top. you open the top and pull the drained filter out. i can wear a tux to change the oil and filter without getting a drop on me.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:40 AM
Ah, yes. i've changed my own oil/filter on my CTT over the last 30k miles.
I guess i will have to take pics/video next time.
I don't think i got more than my fingers with a little oil.

Maybe the difference between the V6 and the v8, idk.
Sorry, didn't mean to offend in my previous post.

Old 11-08-2015, 02:07 PM
On the v6 it's pretty tight quarters under there where the oil filter is located. Even after draining the housing, it can make a mess. This guy in the photos below had it on a lift and still had considerable amount of oil splatter. I made a big mess the first time and got better with subsequent changes. But its not nearly as clean as changing the oil on my 997.2. Paper towels are at least cheap.

Attached Images     
Old 11-08-2015, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Ah, yes. i've changed my own oil/filter on my CTT over the last 30k miles.
I guess i will have to take pics/video next time.
I don't think i got more than my fingers with a little oil.

Maybe the difference between the V6 and the v8, idk.
Sorry, didn't mean to offend in my previous post.
no biggie. i guess v8 has a better designed filter location. wish i have a ctt.....

Old 11-08-2015, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by wwilliams88
On the v6 it's pretty tight quarters under there where the oil filter is located. Even after draining the housing, it can make a mess. This guy in the photos below had it on a lift and still had considerable amount of oil splatter. I made a big mess the first time and got better with subsequent changes. But its not nearly as clean as changing the oil on my 997.2. Paper towels are at least cheap.
thank you for the pics. you have to be under the v6 to understand that there is no clean way to replace the filter. next time, i'll have a whole bunch of towels around as i turn the housing. i took some pic during the oil change planning on posting a diy but didn't post it because it's no different than oil change on other cars and also the mess i made

Old 11-09-2015, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by mmdht2
no biggie. i guess v8 has a better designed filter location. wish i have a ctt.....
I'm absolutely amazed Porsche designed the V6 that way.
Good god i feel for you now.

Even the v6 diesel was super easy.
You could change the oil filter without changing the oil (i did that around 500 miles after new).
Additionally, the oil filter was easily accessible from above.
Now that was nice!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY for 958 V6 oil/fiter and spark plug change?