Cayenne Turbo All Cayenne Turbo model topics

Long Trip: Happy with my oil consumption - 2011 CTT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 02:17 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Long Trip: Happy with my oil consumption - 2011 CTT

6,582 miles, 250cc's of oil. 1 segment on the gauge.

We just completed a coast to coast to coast Thanksgiving trip in the Turbo, and I never had to open the hood. I'd recently had the engine apart at the dealers (Variocam adjusters were replaced, but that morphed into engine removal and disassembly of the heads, and then rebuilding the heads and putting it all back together again..) and was concerned if the oil use might increase.

Instead - oil use decreased. It had been using about 500cc/1,000 miles. Now it looks like less than 1,000CC's between changes, which means I shouldn't have to add any.

The trip was at speeds from a crawl to extended sections of 90-100mph (gotta love parts of west Texas and Arizona and New Mexico.) On several days my *average* speed was indicated on the trip computer to be 75MPH+ (that includes any local driving that day, going and getting fuel, etc.) WAZE made sure I was never surprised by the police - and kept my wife amused reporting things.

I averaged 20-21MPG for the entire trip. It didn't really drop at the extended speeds. I did take a pic of the instrument cluster - 90MPH (set on the cruise control too) indicated, and less than 2,000RPM on the tach.

Adaptive cruise control is a real joy for long trips like this. I sometimes went hours without touching the pedals.

Overall - flawless performance. Quite satisfied. It did the trip just as well and much more comfortably than my wifes Lexus RX350 did a few years ago. And unlike the Lexus - it kept me awake all the time.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:45 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Wow, sounds like a great trip! I was thinking of doing a 16 hour trip with mine.

Now i wish i had the adaptive cruise control.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:31 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
It was an OK trip. The amount of truck traffic is getting a bit overwhelming, especially on I-15, I-10 and I-81. The number of trucks at least equals the cars, and they often form large rolling clots as one tries to overtake another on an uphill section. Used to be truck drivers were "pros" - and pretty courteous. It seems that's gone by the wayside, apparently very few are even Teamster's anymore, and the independent trucker is simply paid by the mile/cargo, and the more miles and more cargo they move the more they make.

Backroads would have made it much more fun (done that with my motorcycle..) but about doubles the amount of time required - and with holidays and family we simply didn't have time to spare, so it was Interstates almost all the way.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:18 PM
Zuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enoughZuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enough
Prior to the head work - was the CTT burning/consuming lots of oil?

Old 12-15-2016, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Zuffenhausen955
Prior to the head work - was the CTT burning/consuming lots of oil?
I have service records back to when it was new. When it was new it was consuming enough oil to be concerning. The first owner was taking it in regularly between oil changes when the oil low warning light came on. It appeared that 1 quart/800 miles was being consumed. At around 30,000 miles Porsche had a recall for the crankcase ventilation system that involved replacing the oil separator. The visits to the dealership for oil top-off stopped as soon as that was done.

My history with it had it using probably a liter in around 2,000-2,500 miles - which isn't high usage by any standard - and I considered that "normal".. but it seems since the heads were done - it's now looking more like no significant oil use between changes (7,500 miles probably..) Since it went over 8,000 miles, lots of that at high speed - and only used a few hundred CC's of oil.

FWIW - my last Cayenne - an '06 S/**** had similar oil use - it never was added to between changes.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:02 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Did I read that right? 20-21MPG in a Turbo? Your gauge has got to be broken!

Old 12-20-2016, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by dan87951
Did I read that right? 20-21MPG in a Turbo? Your gauge has got to be broken!
Gauge wasn't used - simple miles/gallons is the formula. Did it every fill up. That's actually what the '11 Turbo is EPA rated for - for highway use (which this was..)

It surprised me because it was much better than my '06 CS/**** did - about 16-18MPG doing the same trip, and as good as my wife's RX-350 did (same trip.) I pretty consistently had ~450 mile tanks (24 gallon tank) with 60 miles remaining when I filled up, and it would take ~21 gallons to fill up. It won't do that around town or even in mixed driving.

Old 10-08-2017, 02:08 PM
jayi836 will become famous soon enoughjayi836 will become famous soon enough
Same mileage here or and no issues with oil consumption after the AOS was replaced.

641 mile range? Just after a fill up on a 300 mile trip to Vegas from SoCal more like 21MPG

Old 10-08-2017, 02:35 PM
Jay - you do have a few more miles on yours than I do..

Old 10-10-2017, 09:23 AM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
Got to love the CTT. This rig can easily do 18-22MPG range when it is kept mostly hwy miles.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:42 AM
jayi836 will become famous soon enoughjayi836 will become famous soon enough
I was going to get the diesel for long range, but the Turbo has the same 26.4 gallon fuel tank ,easy to get 550-600 miles to a tank.

The direct injection and 8 speed must be the key in a 500HP beast.

If one drove the speed limit and didn't pass anyone, 640 miles to the tank may be achievable?

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find....n=sbs&id=30578

Last edited by jayi836; 10-16-2017 at 08:00 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.