Grandama does a track day in her 13' GTS + Hot laps (VIDEO)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 11:00 PM
onurleft will become famous soon enough
Grandama does a track day in her 13' GTS + Hot laps (VIDEO)

I was instructing for PCA and this nice young lady was actually my student for a few sessions!

She took her 13' Cayenne GTS out to Nola Motorsports Park for two days of track driving. I had the pleasure of showing her around and taking her for a ride in her car per her request.

Check it out. Sorry about the shakeyness she's not the best camera person

Old 12-06-2013, 11:05 AM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
That's pretty cool. I love my GTS but every time I try and "push it" on on ramps and stuff I still don't feel comfortable.... Looks like I need a track day to get used to how it handles!

Old 12-07-2013, 09:57 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
You should try AutoX (I believe PCA is the only group that allows it). The way these things handle in that environment is unbelievable. Even without the suspension and chassis goodies.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by DrVolkl
That's pretty cool. I love my GTS but every time I try and "push it" on on ramps and stuff I still don't feel comfortable.... Looks like I need a track day to get used to how it handles!
I never thought i'd suggest this but doing your first (or one of your first few) track weekends in a GTS is a great idea.

1. The car is going to understeer a lot and it's quite noticeable and easy for a beginner to correct in a GTS
2. The brakes are great, and won't fade until you really start moving. When they do fade it's quite predictable.
3. It's powerful and handles good enough to keep pace and pass many sports cars. I was only passed once in the intermediate group.
4. It's very predictable, with the above short comings (fade and understeer) being obvious (in this car) tools to help you improve your awareness and skills.
5. No shifting, so you can learn the line quickly without being flustered by shifting.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:35 PM
MikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of light
poor cayman, got passed up by a suv that weighs 5000lbs. was that a base or cayman S? im surprised an old lady like that would buy a gts or not scream at the way you were driving. ive made grown men scream and cry for their lives when im driving.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:09 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Funny thing about the understeer I found was that at factory tire pressure it was quite noticeable, but not as bad as I expected for such a big AWD vehicle. When I over inflated the tires (18s, so I had lots of sidewall to roll over onto) the understeer was drastically reduced for my AutoX session. It was only the Caymans and Boxters (for cars with drivers with comparable experience to me) that I couldn't compete with.

Sadly the GTS driver that was there was too timid so we couldn't see what it could do compared to my CD.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by MikeL
poor cayman, got passed up by a suv that weighs 5000lbs. was that a base or cayman S? im surprised an old lady like that would buy a gts or not scream at the way you were driving. ive made grown men scream and cry for their lives when im driving.
It was an S. I passed several 996's and 997's and few Cayman S's. I had to get right on their bumper and swerve back and forth to get the point, some of those guys did not want an SUV coming by them