6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Cayenne (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne-148/)
-   -   Going Aftermarket! (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne/345365-going-aftermarket.html)

uoL24 08-25-2014 09:50 AM

Going Aftermarket!

I want to apologize for the noob thread. I’m sure this topic has been addressed in this forum already, being my schedule is so sporadic, I can’t really do a thorough search thru the forums so I look for my fellow Cayenne brother/sisters for help. Ok…I’ve tried to tough it out as long as I could because the Cayenne has always been my favorite SUV, but I can no longer ignore the fact that the factory installed PCM is so outdated even with the lasted updates. I want to install the Apps Radio 2 unit. I’ve been looking thru some threads for some helpful info, but couldn’t find exactly what I need. I’m looking for a double din dash kit. I’m trying to avoid going custom dash kit. Also, I read that the front mid-range speaker size is 4”? Can anyone verify that? I’m looking to do a front stage set-up at the moment then adding the rear speakers later. Speakers, sub, head unit & amp(s) will all be aftermarket. I’m not recycling any existing equipment. Any info to help me achieve my goal will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Lou

BOOSTTT 10-08-2014 08:14 PM

I'm looking for the same info, but I found double din dash kits all over the internet. Metra should be fine. That's the brand I used for my 996TT and it's nice.

Link for Metra double din dash kit:

http://www.carid.com/2003-porsche-ca...FZKHaQodApEA4w

I also want to know what size aftermarket speakers go in the dash sides, both front door speakers and the rear door speakers. Got everything else.

Crutchfield has these listed for rear doors:

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/All...akers.html?l=D

I will get the Polks for the rear. Want Boston acoustics for front dash if I can fit some in there. I may just replace the bottom door speaker with a good 2-way if I find something that fits. The top front door might just get unplugged. Got my subs head unit and amp ready. Also replacing the DVD flip down Sony system with Audiovox.

BOOSTTT 10-08-2014 08:26 PM

Found front door replacement. I'm thinking about just putting the tweets in the dash location on a component system.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i7_car-speakers.html

uoL24 10-08-2014 08:34 PM

I got my dash kit from installer.com, wire harness from Carid. You’d be amazed how just switching out the HU & adding a subwoofer improves the sound quality. I was going to replace all the door speakers (front & back), but the factory speakers with an aftermarket radio sounds Awesome!

gnat 10-08-2014 10:45 PM

So what impact does removing the PCM have on other functions? Memory? MFD? etc..?

Thats my biggest concern/roadblock to upgrading my system. I hate just about everything about the PCM, but i also don't want the MFD to be dead or to give up the memory functions which all seem tied to the PCM.

uoL24 10-08-2014 10:59 PM

The only thing I’ve noticed is steering wheel controls are gone (obviously), memory seats & things like that seem the same. It’s only been day 2 of the new system. I’ll let you know if I notice anything else.

uoL24 10-09-2014 04:04 AM

As far as the MFD is concerned, you lose the use of the radio & map option(s) but you can still access & use the settings menu.

uoL24 10-09-2014 04:27 AM

Also…for those of you looking to take the leap into the aftermarket world, contact Ryan Butor at Suncoast Parts (tell him Lou sent you!) and express interest in a special EMSRA dash kit. Thats a double din dash kit with the wire harness attached to it. I planted the seed with him already, now all we need is to water it.:D

It would be nice to find a “One Stop Shop” for all the aftermarket needs, but… Suncoast Parts, Installer.com & Carid are the 3 spots I used.

BOOSTTT 10-09-2014 10:31 AM

Dash tweeters 1" on both sides, Mid tweeter bypassed for me, Front door lower is 8" and top is 3.5", rear doors are 6.5 inch. Rear pillars have something like 2.5", but I'm bypassing those. This is for the Blows system.

SuncoastParts 10-09-2014 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by uoL24 (Post 4211389)
Also…for those of you looking to take the leap into the aftermarket world, contact Ryan Butor at Suncoast Parts (tell him Lou sent you!) and express interest in a special EMSRA dash kit. Thats a double din dash kit with the wire harness attached to it. I planted the seed with him already, now all we need is to water it.:D

It would be nice to find a “One Stop Shop” for all the aftermarket needs, but… Suncoast Parts, Installer.com & Carid are the 3 spots I used.

Thanks for the support. The double din kit sells quite a lot. Feel free to contact Ryan directly at ryan@suncoastparts.com or give us a call.

jdubbya 10-09-2014 01:00 PM

I've heard of folks just replacing the speakers and being happy with the sound also. Too many other things to spend money on for me right now!

BOOSTTT 10-14-2014 09:00 AM

WOW! It really is a chore to run wiring in this CTT. I'm thinking of just running everything under the carpet so I don't have to dismantle the entire interior. I secure wires to a wire hanger and push them through to the next opening. Looks easier to run from the center console, under the carpet to the rear and then up the B pillar to the wire tunnel into the door, and Amp wiring May go under the car and zip tied along the frame with extra wire sheaths to protect them. Front speakers are pretty easy. The rear pillar with the tiny 2.5" speakers is not worth the effort to get to. Tough install running all the wires. What happens to the display above the steering wheel if the factory stereo is deleted? Thanks

uoL24 10-14-2014 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by BOOSTTT (Post 4214731)
WOW! It really is a chore to run wiring in this CTT. I'm thinking of just running everything under the carpet so I don't have to dismantle the entire interior. I secure wires to a wire hanger and push them through to the next opening. Looks easier to run from the center console, under the carpet to the rear and then up the B pillar to the wire tunnel into the door, and Amp wiring May go under the car and zip tied along the frame with extra wire sheaths to protect them. Front speakers are pretty easy. The rear pillar with the tiny 2.5" speakers is not worth the effort to get to. Tough install running all the wires. What happens to the display above the steering wheel if the factory stereo is deleted? Thanks

You lose the map & radio control options in that display.

BOOSTTT 10-14-2014 04:22 PM

OK. No problem. Thanks

uoL24 10-14-2014 04:44 PM

I was sad to see the map option go. It was one cool feature to have.